Team Russia for 2014/2015 Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Team Russia for 2014/2015 Season

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
If Artur will fall totally irrelevant who is his coach..I hope he can handle the pressure.
That is actually a good point, in relation to Artur. He's had success under Mishin and failure under Mishin. Ultimately, your coach can't go out there and skate your program for you...

Maybe Artur will do better now that the pressure is somewhat off him? Since many are writing him off and turning to Kovtun, he might, instead, feel freer and find it easier to skate.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Why are Yuko & Sasha alternates?!?!?! They were off for one year due to injury, but the year before they did well regardless. How on earth did they get related to the second tier of the country's elite skaters???

hanca

Record Breaker
Why are Yuko & Sasha alternates?!?!?! They were off for one year due to injury, but the year before they did well regardless. How on earth did they get related to the second tier of the country's elite skaters???

I think Russian Federation is looking only at the last season in which they didn't compete due to the injury. I know they were good before that, but how do we know that they will be good now?
The same argument for the new couples - although Ilynikh-Katsalapov got two Olympic medals, no one knows if they will be any good with their new partners.

If Russian Federation was looking into the past, Leonova would have her place in the main team because she has 2 world medals. But her last two seasons were not great.

Country
Russia
Could someone explain to me the difference between being on the main team and being a reserve?
Main difference - money.
Main team members have enough to live without serious problems and don't need other income.

But well-known skaters often have sponsors (of their fans) who solve this problem.
Or federation may pay individually, for example Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV are payed for practicing with coach Marina Zueva, USA.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Ah, thank you.

Is there a difference in assignments? Who gets more GP assignments and stuff?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kavaguti/Smirnov, Bazarova/Deputat and Sinitsina/Katsalapov are reserves on the list, how insulting
I guess this doesn't make any difference except just a roster and funding difference ?

Maybe the list is based on actual achievement as a pair instead of putting teams on the Senior Team that haven't even competed yet this past year or ever. :laugh:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Maybe the list is based on actual achievement as a pair instead of putting teams on the Senior Team that haven't even competed yet this past year or ever. :laugh:

This. The only team I think arguably should be on the actual list instead of reserves is Kavugati/Smirnov, but I understand why that decision was what it was.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just taking another look at that men's team...

At their fittest and skating their best, that group is pretty mega and would come out on top in plenty of competitions. Of course Plushenko will never be fully fit again and is long past his best, Menshov is getting older, Voronov's best may have been spent this season, Kovtun is still hit and miss and whether Gachinski can return to form remains to be seen. But IF they did...wowsa. I would pay any money to see THAT Nationals.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I never, ever expect any group of men's singles skaters to all skate their best. :laugh: I just pray the top 1-2 didn't splat.

That being said, if this group does reasonably well, they could make a big splash at Europeans (I hope they peak at Europeans/Worlds and not nationals...). They had two people on the podium in 2012 and 2014. A sweep would require Javi to bomb though.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I never, ever expect any group of men's singles skaters to all skate their best. :laugh: I just pray the top 1-2 didn't splat.

That being said, if this group does reasonably well, they could make a big splash at Europeans (I hope they peak at Europeans/Worlds and not nationals...). They had two people on the podium in 2012 and 2014. A sweep would require Javi to bomb though.

Oh for sure. That's why I said IF they did :laugh:

Best part about Euros 2014 was Voronov and Menshov on the podium. In more ways than the obvious. ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think "paying money" won't be enough to create that everyone-goes-clean-and-amazing nationals. We'd need to sell our souls for that to happen. :laugh: And maybe get a time machine for Plushy (to travel to the past, to bring young Plushy back; or to travel to the future, and bring back cyborg technology).

I'm happy for Voronov and Menshov. Might've been their last chance internationally... Maybe they'll build on the momentum next season and win more things. Not everyone can be Olympic champion, but they can still have some personal victories.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Since Kovtun is now serving in the military, is he still expecting to have a normal skating season?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
He was in the military about five days. ;)

That's it?? I saw a special news report posted about it, granted I didn't understand any of it, but they made it seem like a big deal. Darn it (just kidding...I have nothing against him really ;))

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I'm happy for Voronov and Menshov. Might've been their last chance internationally... Maybe they'll build on the momentum next season and win more things. Not everyone can be Olympic champion, but they can still have some personal victories.

Me too, GO both!

Menshov has never been to worlds. That can be a big goal for him. He is 31, but I think he looks younger and in good shape. He came back fine after his shoulder injury.

Country
Russia
^Ah, thank you.

Is there a difference in assignments? Who gets more GP assignments and stuff?
No real difference.

Skaters not in Team Russia may earn JGP assignments.
Nikol Gosviani being not in Team Russia had Euro spot at 2013 (she skated good at Nationals).

Federation looks at first to real state of skater.

After 2011/2012 season in Team Prussia "boys, girls" were Titushkina, Pogorilaya, Safaryan and in "Reserve" Chernyshova.
Titushkina got two JGP Events - first for good result of test skate, second for medal of first.
Pogorilaya got two JGP Events (because of good state at beginning of season) and JrWorlds spot (because of results of JrNats).
Chernyshova and Safaryan had nothing.

Real level means much more than being in team.

Country
Russia
Since Kovtun is now serving in the military, is he still expecting to have a normal skating season?
Yes.
He (and skaters and other sportsmen of national level of his age who serve in military) have a "special military mission" - skate (or do other sports) as good as they can.
So military tasks are set to minimum, main is sports practice.

Btw, in World War II soviet sportsmen of national level were in special commandos brigade. And because of their sports talents they were much better solgiers than ordinary.

kittyvondutch

Rinkside
Kavaguti/Smirnov, Bazarova/Deputat and Sinitsina/Katsalapov are reserves on the list, how insulting
I guess this doesn't make any difference except just a roster and funding difference ?

I think you forgot to read that the couples who split are put into reserves. You cant expect a team who has not competed professionally yet to be put into the main team

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think you forgot to read that the couples who split are put into reserves. You cant expect a team who has not competed professionally yet to be put into the main team

They're her favourites though so she assumes they will be out on the main list. Hence why she isn't insulted by I/Z being in the reserves. Omg, they're so pretty - why aren't they on the main list?! :rolleye:

I agree that a case can be made for Kav/Smirnov, but the depth of Russian pairs and a year off isn't going to help their cause and they need to show they are competitive before getting into the main list - same with B/D and the split ice dance teams.

Country
Russia
They took place at only one competition at 2013/2014 season - Panin Memorial at early October 2013, and WD because of injury of Smirnov.

Very nice pair, they was at Worlds at 2006-2013, two-times World medalists. Because of this they are in Reserve, not off the National Team.