Team Russia for 2014/2015 Season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Team Russia for 2014/2015 Season

hanca

Record Breaker
Do you guys think the Russian men could get 3 spots for Worlds 2016?

Of course they could. Look at Kovtun - he placed fourth and yet he had been beaten by Voronov and Menshov at the Europeans. So if Kovtun does the same as he did last year, and either Voronov or Menshov attend and skate as well as they did at Europeans, the chance is there. It definitely does not look as a smaller chance than Pogorilaya and Lipnitskaya getting three spots for ladies and yet they did it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Of course it's possible. If Voronov had skated his Euros programs at Worlds, he would have placed 4th. Both Menshov and Voronov at Euros got high enough scores that, coupled with Kovtun's 4th, would have easily been 9th or higher ... Not guaranteed they would have skated as well at worlds but quite likely enough to have gotten 3 spots.

hanca

Record Breaker
Of course it's possible. If Voronov had skated his Euros programs at Worlds, he would have placed 4th. Both Menshov and Voronov at Euros got high enough scores that, coupled with Kovtun's 4th, would have easily been 9th or higher ... Not guaranteed they would have skated as well at worlds but quite likely enough to have gotten 3 spots.

Also, don't forget that some of the top skaters are retiring or having a season off. So next season there won't be Chan, Takahashi, Joubert and few others. If Kovtun placed the same as last year, all that is needed from the second guy is to place 9th. Not impossible.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also, don't forget that some of the top skaters are retiring or having a season off. So next season there won't be Chan, Takahashi, Joubert and few others. If Kovtun placed the same as last year, all that is needed from the second guy is to place 9th. Not impossible.

Yup! I mean, the field was pretty weak save for the top 3... I mean, the US men were able to get 3 spots.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
the US men have the econd deepest field after Japan
and next season wont be easy, there is Yuzu, Yan, Machida ? , Jason, Aaron, Javier etc.

They have a deep field with talented skaters, but very few are World podium worthy. Brown has yet to have a quad, Abbott is hugely inconsistent, Aaron is viewed as a technical skater, Farris has yet to get consistency and remain healthy.

Although, yes, behind Japan and with Chan not in the picture, the US are the number 2 country in terms of depth. I'd argue that Russia is not far behind the US in terms of quality of men's field. They have a man in their top 4 at Worlds, and two other Russians podiumed at Euros. And you have upcomers like Pitkeev. China is on the cusp of also having a strong men's field, depending on how skaters like Jin turn out.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Do they? That's why they had only two spots at 2014 worlds?

A deep field doesn't necessarily mean a strong field. The US men are good, but not great. It's more than most other countries, but by no means are they able to contend with Japan or solo skaters like Ten (when he's on) or Fernandez. Then you have skaters like Han Yan who can only get better. And if Reynolds happens to skate to his potential (which is admittedly not very often), he can easily beat the Americans.

I mean, the US men did well to maintain 3 spots in a weak Worlds field (save for the top 3), but at the Olympics they only managed 9th and 12th, and were pretty meh in the team event. But still, that was enough to make them the second best country after Japan (arguably tied with CZE for 2nd).

The reality is, the only country with a truly deep men's field - which one could arbitrarily define as having 3 or more skaters who have the ability to place top 10 at Worlds - is Japan.

It's something like:

Japan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Canada (with Chan) >>>> US > Russia/Czechoslovakia > France > Spain > Canada (without Chan)

Unless Brown gets a quad, I think it will be a long time before we see another US man atop or even on the World podium.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It's possible. I wouldn't say it's anything close to certain though. The men's field is incredibly inconsistent. It depends on how the Russians skate and how the rest of the field skate. For instance, Kovtun's 4th place LP was quite a bit weaker than Menshov or Voronov's Europeans LPs. However, we can't say if Voronov or Menshov can bring those LPs to Worlds next year. We also don't know if the rest of the field (Aaron, Reynolds, Han Yan) will bomb badly enough to leave the door open again. We don't know how the quad experiment will go for Jason and Pitkeev, if they attempt it.

Further predictions incoming when they start skating in the GP, but in the end it all boils down to the day.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Remember also there were only two US men this year, next year there will be three, and the three most likely to be their team are all armed with high TES or high PCS or both.

Still pulling for Menshov/Gachinski world team. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thank you Alex for taking the time to put this all together for us non-Russian speaking members. Much appreciated!
:bow:

Alba

Record Breaker
What do you people think about Monko&Khaliavin?

I myself don't know what to think. I find them fresh and very good on the interpretative level.
I like him but I don't like the posture of her upper body and her knees. I do prefer S&B more.
Furthermore, I think she is a bit tall for him or it looks like?

Anastasi14

On the Ice

I think that the theme of SD suits them. They really can look good in paso doble. The main thing is whether their coach will have enough time for them? And of course the dance. After the BS's "Bird program" i'm afraid to imagine what else Zhulin can create. They also have a great chance to fight their place in the Russian team.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think that the theme of SD suits them. They really can look good in paso doble. The main thing is whether their coach will have enough time for them? And of course the dance. After the BS's "Bird program" i'm afraid to imagine what else Zhulin can create. They also have a great chance to fight their place in the Russian ream.

But what do you think about them in general, as Ice Dancers? I'm asking because 2013-2014 was the first season I saw them so I don't know them very well.

p.s. Aren't they already put in the main team for the new season?

Anastasi14

On the Ice
But what do you think about them in general, as Ice Dancers? I'm asking because 2013-2014 was the first season I saw them so I don't know them very well.

p.s. Aren't they already put in the main team for the new season?

I can't judge because i don't have enough professional knowledge in ice dances. But as a viewer I think they have good tech, and they are equal partners. Last season at the control skate, as for me, they were the brightest and the most promising (except IK). Unfortunately, i think they have a minus start and most of mistakes from there.

Yes they are in the main team (main team is mostly about funding) but i meant that they should fight their place in Russian team for Euros and Worlds.

sisinka

Final Flight
Maybe the Fed pushes them to stay juniors. Or their coach don't want to deal with two senior pairs; Because it's not easy simultaneously to work with a completely new pair, that need a lot of attention, and to train a pair who need to make a good senior impression.

Yeah, I actually think the Fed probably had some say in this. We need to remember it is not the same in Russia as it is in other federations. Since the fed is providing all the funding, the fed gets a much larger say. in the USA if a team wants to move to Seniors or stay in Juniors, it's their choice and their triumph if it works out and their funeral if it doesn't. In Russia, I think it is much more of a discussion between a cross-section of people- the team, the coach, the fed.

Y&M announced already after FD at Junior World Champs that they plan to stay in juniors one more year. So this decision was made together with coaches much sooner than I&K&S&Z's affair started.
I take it like like good decision. Althought Junior World title doesn't mean senior success, it can help. All other top Russian couples are ex Junior Champs.

Hawayek & Baker will have better placement anyway, because they win the most important competion of the Junior season althought Yanovskaya & Mozgov won Junior Grand Prix Final and were straight leaders for whole season. Hawayek & Baker have big advantage in US field which is not so deep like in Russia right now. Even 6th Russian Nationals couple Stepanova & Bukin have very good technique and difficult programs, so Yanovskaya & Mozgov would probably finish even behind them at Nationals (yes, Riazanova & Tchakenko retired and two couples split, but new couples consist four great technicians and made great results last season - so judges still remember each of them like promising dancer, so there is 99% chance that at least one or maybe both couples will be really great again). Plus Bobrova & Soloviev, Monko & Khaliavin, Stepanova & Bukin (don't forget Tarasova's support who simply loves Bukin). So still Yanovskaya & Mozgov would be around 5th place, which means no European or World Champs.

While Hawayek & Baker can easily challenge all top US teams. Chock & Bates suffer from Bates weak technique and one kind of style - romantic style. Shibutanis don't have good enought programs and their technique is not strong also, plus they are not fast. Hubbell & Donohue have the best edges from US couples, but judges doesn't look to love them plus Madison's injury plus the couple is not really fast as well. So Hawayek & Baker have real chance to be in top 3 and come to World Champs.

sisinka

Final Flight

I myself don't know what to think. I find them fresh and very good on the interpretative level.
I like him but I don't like the posture of her upper body and her knees. I do prefer S&B more.
Furthermore, I think she is a bit tall for him or it looks like?

M&K are on the way to be great dancers indeed, I see big potencial in these two. (And I keep another hope for coming back to dancing watching this couple, not only performing elements).
They suffer from big nervousness which leads to mistakes, but surprisingly when it counts and the competition is tough (like last two Russian Nationals and World Team Trophy 2013) – the couple puts everything together and skates the best possible way – and it is something special then.

The couple has great technique, deep edges, long lines, finished movements. You mentioned Ksenia’s upper body position – you are right. While in 2012/13 season her upper body was OK, this season she once again bend her back forward. It needs to be corrected.

This Olympic season Ksenia and Kirill had very unusual program for themselves – funny and sad clown. Not easy program even demanding also face mimics and actor‘s expression, they managed it very well. The couple is the most comfortable in romantic and dramatic stories, for example their Spanish FD in 2012/13 season, Frida FD in 2010/11 season. They are also the couple with good sense for ballroom dances – their Blues FD in 2009/10 and waltz part in SD in 2012/13 season were great.

What is once again big problem – costuming. Ksenia has similar body building like Navka or Krylova with those loooooong legs, but her costumes doesn’t show her perfection.

Height difference was never a problem with old judging system because there were not too acrobatic elements. Now judging system prefers more small ladies (mainly because of acrobatic lifts) so everybody discuss height difference. But it doesn’t have much sense. Even couples with small height difference or small weights differences – V&M, Faiella & Scali were able to execute great lifts and top dances, so what? Ksenia is definitely taller then Meryl but Kirill was always great lifter, so even with long Ksenia’s legs the couple is able to perform all variety of difficult lifts even those with rotation around a neck which is highly uncomfortable for tall girls.
Personally I take this couple like beautiful. Ksenia is another dark haired, dark eyed beauty in non classical way.

What is their big advantage is the fact that they look like couple, they react greatly at each other while skating. They are both dynamic and passionate dancers (which was very obvious in their last season Spanish FD). I suppose that this couple will have one of the best Spanish SD next season.