Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Team Russia for 2014/2015 Season

Custom Title
    Let's compare Gachinsky and Leonova. Leonova and Tuktamysheva are on reserve team and Gachinsky is on main team? While I agree that Leonova and Tuktamysheva did not have the results to be on the main team because Sotnokova, Pogorilaya, Radionova and Lipnitskaya are much better than them, I think Gachinsky should be on the reserve team too. But his coach is Tarasova...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    What about Gerasimova and Stavitskaya? They both lost the majority of the last season due to their injury, and now they are completely off team. Wouldn't they deserve to be in reserve team to have a chance to prove themselves? When Shershak was injured, she was not skating the whole season while being kept on the reserve team, and the following season (when already healthy) she remained on the reserve team to have a chance to prove herself.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post

Shershak after 2011/2012 season looked as haveing good chance to progress.
    And before Sochi Olympics Federation had more money than now.
    Maybe, because of this.
    Then they should treat Gerasimova and Stavitskaya at least the same way as Pervushkina. If they are not deemed good enough for seniors or juniors, slot them to younger junior/novice. It wasn't Gerasimova and Stavitskaya's fault that they were injured. Stavitskaya came back from injury and won one of the Russian cup competitions. Unfortunately it was the last one and therefore she did not qualify to the nationals because she did only one Russian cup whereas others did two. But that should say enough about her skating if she managed to win it. I feel it is unfair.

Ice is slippery.
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Let's compare Gachinsky and Leonova. Leonova and Tuktamysheva are on reserve team and Gachinsky is on main team? While I agree that Leonova and Tuktamysheva did not have the results to be on the main team because Sotnokova, Pogorilaya, Radionova and Lipnitskaya are much better than them, I think Gachinsky should be on the reserve team too. But his coach is Tarasova...
    There's no way the russian feds will put Gachinski on reserve, not with Tarasova politicking for him But he'll really need to step it up results wise this upcoming season otherwise I'm not sure if even tat could save him.

Custom Title
    Could someone explain to me the difference between being on the main team and being a reserve?

I hope Artur really proves himself next season. Hopefully Tarasova will be good for dealing with his internal issues, rather than just politics.

If Artur will fall totally irrelevant who is his coach..I hope he can handle the pressure.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    If Artur will fall totally irrelevant who is his coach..I hope he can handle the pressure.
    That is actually a good point, in relation to Artur. He's had success under Mishin and failure under Mishin. Ultimately, your coach can't go out there and skate your program for you...

Maybe Artur will do better now that the pressure is somewhat off him? Since many are writing him off and turning to Kovtun, he might, instead, feel freer and find it easier to skate.

Custom Title
    Why are Yuko & Sasha alternates?!?!?! They were off for one year due to injury, but the year before they did well regardless. How on earth did they get related to the second tier of the country's elite skaters???

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Why are Yuko & Sasha alternates?!?!?! They were off for one year due to injury, but the year before they did well regardless. How on earth did they get related to the second tier of the country's elite skaters???
    I think Russian Federation is looking only at the last season in which they didn't compete due to the injury. I know they were good before that, but how do we know that they will be good now?
    The same argument for the new couples - although Ilynikh-Katsalapov got two Olympic medals, no one knows if they will be any good with their new partners.

If Russian Federation was looking into the past, Leonova would have her place in the main team because she has 2 world medals. But her last two seasons were not great.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Could someone explain to me the difference between being on the main team and being a reserve?
    Main difference - money.
    Main team members have enough to live without serious problems and don't need other income.

But well-known skaters often have sponsors (of their fans) who solve this problem.
    Or federation may pay individually, for example Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV are payed for practicing with coach Marina Zueva, USA.

Custom Title
    ^Ah, thank you.

Is there a difference in assignments? Who gets more GP assignments and stuff?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Kavaguti/Smirnov, Bazarova/Deputat and Sinitsina/Katsalapov are reserves on the list, how insulting
    I guess this doesn't make any difference except just a roster and funding difference ?
    Maybe the list is based on actual achievement as a pair instead of putting teams on the Senior Team that haven't even competed yet this past year or ever.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Maybe the list is based on actual achievement as a pair instead of putting teams on the Senior Team that haven't even competed yet this past year or ever.
    This. The only team I think arguably should be on the actual list instead of reserves is Kavugati/Smirnov, but I understand why that decision was what it was.

Custom Title
    Just taking another look at that men's team...

At their fittest and skating their best, that group is pretty mega and would come out on top in plenty of competitions. Of course Plushenko will never be fully fit again and is long past his best, Menshov is getting older, Voronov's best may have been spent this season, Kovtun is still hit and miss and whether Gachinski can return to form remains to be seen. But IF they did...wowsa. I would pay any money to see THAT Nationals.

Custom Title
    I never, ever expect any group of men's singles skaters to all skate their best. I just pray the top 1-2 didn't splat.

That being said, if this group does reasonably well, they could make a big splash at Europeans (I hope they peak at Europeans/Worlds and not nationals...). They had two people on the podium in 2012 and 2014. A sweep would require Javi to bomb though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I never, ever expect any group of men's singles skaters to all skate their best. I just pray the top 1-2 didn't splat.

That being said, if this group does reasonably well, they could make a big splash at Europeans (I hope they peak at Europeans/Worlds and not nationals...). They had two people on the podium in 2012 and 2014. A sweep would require Javi to bomb though.
    Oh for sure. That's why I said IF they did

Best part about Euros 2014 was Voronov and Menshov on the podium. In more ways than the obvious.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast