Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Team Russia for 2014/2015 Season

Custom Title
    I think "paying money" won't be enough to create that everyone-goes-clean-and-amazing nationals. We'd need to sell our souls for that to happen. And maybe get a time machine for Plushy (to travel to the past, to bring young Plushy back; or to travel to the future, and bring back cyborg technology).

I'm happy for Voronov and Menshov. Might've been their last chance internationally... Maybe they'll build on the momentum next season and win more things. Not everyone can be Olympic champion, but they can still have some personal victories.

Since Kovtun is now serving in the military, is he still expecting to have a normal skating season?

Quote Originally Posted by gallavich View Post
    Since Kovtun is now serving in the military, is he still expecting to have a normal skating season?
    He was in the military about five days.

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    He was in the military about five days.
    That's it?? I saw a special news report posted about it, granted I didn't understand any of it, but they made it seem like a big deal. Darn it (just kidding...I have nothing against him really )

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I'm happy for Voronov and Menshov. Might've been their last chance internationally... Maybe they'll build on the momentum next season and win more things. Not everyone can be Olympic champion, but they can still have some personal victories.
    Me too, GO both!

Menshov has never been to worlds. That can be a big goal for him. He is 31, but I think he looks younger and in good shape. He came back fine after his shoulder injury.

Custom Title
    ^Ah, thank you.

Is there a difference in assignments? Who gets more GP assignments and stuff?
    No real difference.

Skaters not in Team Russia may earn JGP assignments.
    Nikol Gosviani being not in Team Russia had Euro spot at 2013 (she skated good at Nationals).

Federation looks at first to real state of skater.

After 2011/2012 season in Team Prussia "boys, girls" were Titushkina, Pogorilaya, Safaryan and in "Reserve" Chernyshova.
    Titushkina got two JGP Events - first for good result of test skate, second for medal of first.
    Pogorilaya got two JGP Events (because of good state at beginning of season) and JrWorlds spot (because of results of JrNats).
    Chernyshova and Safaryan had nothing.

Real level means much more than being in team.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gallavich View Post
    Yes.
    He (and skaters and other sportsmen of national level of his age who serve in military) have a "special military mission" - skate (or do other sports) as good as they can.
    So military tasks are set to minimum, main is sports practice.

Btw, in World War II soviet sportsmen of national level were in special commandos brigade. And because of their sports talents they were much better solgiers than ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Kavaguti/Smirnov, Bazarova/Deputat and Sinitsina/Katsalapov are reserves on the list, how insulting
    I guess this doesn't make any difference except just a roster and funding difference ?
    I think you forgot to read that the couples who split are put into reserves. You cant expect a team who has not competed professionally yet to be put into the main team

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyvondutch View Post
    I think you forgot to read that the couples who split are put into reserves. You cant expect a team who has not competed professionally yet to be put into the main team
    They're her favourites though so she assumes they will be out on the main list. Hence why she isn't insulted by I/Z being in the reserves. Omg, they're so pretty - why aren't they on the main list?!

I agree that a case can be made for Kav/Smirnov, but the depth of Russian pairs and a year off isn't going to help their cause and they need to show they are competitive before getting into the main list - same with B/D and the split ice dance teams.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyvondutch View Post
    They took place at only one competition at 2013/2014 season - Panin Memorial at early October 2013, and WD because of injury of Smirnov.

Very nice pair, they was at Worlds at 2006-2013, two-times World medalists. Because of this they are in Reserve, not off the National Team.

Custom Title
    Since there is no difference in assignments, it shouldn't be too hard to climb your way back to the main team if you skate well, I assume?

Huh, Menshov has never been to Worlds? I didn't even realize that! Rooting for him to make the team then! Two spots... he'll probably be fighting Voronov and Pitkeev for it (Kovtun likely gets the other spot, Artur likely won't get sent, Plush likely isn't going to compete next season... but with the men's field, you never know. Maybe they'll end up sending the two 30-year-olds to Worlds Then we'll get someone trash-talking 'geriatric Russia' ). All in good fun, no offence intended.

Btw, what's going on with Artur Dmitriev Jr.? What are his chances going forward?

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Since there is no difference in assignments, it shouldn't be too hard to climb your way back to the main team if you skate well, I assume? Huh, Menshov has never been to Worlds? I didn't even realize that! Rooting for him to make the team then! Two spots... he'll probably be fighting Voronov and Pitkeev for it (Kovtun likely gets the other spot, Artur likely won't get sent, Plush likely isn't going to compete next season... but with the men's field, you never know. Maybe they'll end up sending the two 30-year-olds to Worlds Then we'll get someone trash-talking 'geriatric Russia' ). All in good fun, no offence intended. Btw, what's going on with Artur Dmitriev Jr.? What are his chances going forward?
    Just curious- doesn't Russia have 3 spots for Worlds since Kovtun finished 4th?

Custom Title
    No, I think they qualify for two spots next year. Kovtun would've needed to place in the top 2 to earn 3 spots.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

No, I think they qualify for two spots next year. Kovtun would've needed to place in the top 2 to earn 3 spots.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    No this is right. 2 spots for men.

Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    Just curious- doesn't Russia have 3 spots for Worlds since Kovtun finished 4th?
    I think it will be Kovtun and Voronov or Menshov, maybe Gachinski instead of Voronov/Menshov if he finally manages to stay on his feet throughout a couple of programs and Tarasova does what she can for him, but Plushenko won't probably compete seriously anymore and Pikteek can't be competitive without quads...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast