Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 133

Thread: Team Russia for 2014/2015 Season

  1. #46
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,855
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I think it will be Kovtun and Voronov or Menshov, maybe Gachinski instead of Voronov/Menshov if he finally manages to stay on his feet throughout a couple of programs and Tarasova does what she can for him, but Plushenko won't probably compete seriously anymore and Pikteek can't be competitive without quads...
    I'm not certain. As in, yes, he won't be a medal contender without quads. But that doesn't automatically mean they won't send him. If he skates super consistently over the next year while Menshov and Voronov do the exact opposite, they might send him to get three spots back instead of risking a 2012-style bomb. (Jason Brown got a top 10 Olympics finish without a quad, and he wasn't even pristine clean!)

  2. #47
    Custom Title DianaSelene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,205
    Well, I do not know whether Pitkeev will have a quad this upcoming season and if he does if it will be consistent. However, I did read a few weeks ago that he is working on it so that shows Tutberidze definitely understands that she needs to teach him the quad in order for him to be successful on the senior stage next year. I would not be too surprised to see him trying it in competition next year.

  3. #48
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    No, I think they qualify for two spots next year. Kovtun would've needed to place in the top 2 to earn 3 spots. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    I'm a bit dusty on my qualifying rules. I thought he would have to place top 13 or is that only if multiple skaters from the same country compete?

  4. #49
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,900
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I'm a bit dusty on my qualifying rules. I thought he would have to place top 13 or is that only if multiple skaters from the same country compete?
    If it is one entry, they must place top 10 to get two spots. They must place top 2 to get 3.

    If a country has two entries, they have to place in the top 13 in combined placements to get three spots. (example: 3rd and 10th, 6th and 7th, etc). They need to place like 26 or something else really high in combined placements to keep the two spots.

  5. #50
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    If it is one entry, they must place top 10 to get two spots. They must place top 2 to get 3. If a country has two entries, they have to place in the top 13 in combined placements to get three spots. (example: 3rd and 10th, 6th and 7th, etc). They need to place like 26 or something else really high in combined placements to keep the two spots.
    Thanks! I always think the 13 applies to everyone. I don't know why.

  6. #51
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,900
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    Thanks! I always think the 13 applies to everyone. I don't know why.
    You're fine! I've only known this stuff for a few years myself and basically learned it because of the Mirai / Rachael debacle

  7. #52
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    You're fine! I've only known this stuff for a few years myself and basically learned it because of the Mirai / Rachael debacle
    Me too. It was never an issue until Michelle and Sasha exited. Prior to that there was at least one American skater on the podium every year for more than a decade. I didn't even know the rule existed to be honest.

  8. #53
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Me too. It was never an issue until Michelle and Sasha exited. Prior to that there was at least one American skater on the podium every year for more than a decade. I didn't even know the rule existed to be honest.
    Lol that is pretty much why I don't know it either. It is crazy to think that MK won 9 straight World Championship medals....

  9. #54
    Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Chemistry Building
    Posts
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    If it is one entry, they must place top 10 to get two spots. They must place top 2 to get 3.

    If a country has two entries, they have to place in the top 13 in combined placements to get three spots. (example: 3rd and 10th, 6th and 7th, etc). They need to place like 26 or something else really high in combined placements to keep the two spots.
    28.

    And the placements come with a rule that qualifying for the FS but placing 17th or lower overall will still get a maximum of 16 placement points, while skaters not qualifying to the FS will get 18 points.

  10. #55
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,875
    A Menshov/Gachinski Team Russia would make me so happy. (Not least because it would mean Artur is skating well again.)

  11. #56
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I think it will be Kovtun and Voronov or Menshov, maybe Gachinski instead of Voronov/Menshov if he finally manages to stay on his feet throughout a couple of programs and Tarasova does what she can for him, but Plushenko won't probably compete seriously anymore and Pikteek can't be competitive without quads...
    It will have to be Kovtun and another guy, unless Kovtun does awfully. There's no ignoring the fact that he came 4th, and he's a big reason Russia has 2 spots at Worlds, when it's likely but not absolutely guaranteed that Menshov/Voronov would have placed top 10.

    I have a soft spot for Menshov and am really glad he got his Euro bronze. I'd also like Voronov to get more opportunities (IMO, he was screwed out of an Olympic team medal by Plushenko). Pitkeev's time will take a while. I don't think he'll get his quads as quickly as Kovtun did (essentially half a season to put in 2 quad toes, and one season later a 4S and programs with 3 quad attempts). Menshov can also easily do 4S in practice, so I'd love to see him bust out 3 quad programs.

  12. #57
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,875
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    It will have to be Kovtun and another guy, unless Kovtun does awfully.
    And even if Kovtun does do awfully they'll probably STILL put him on the team.

    Besides, why does it HAVE to be Kovtun? What if he has a terrible season, his hideous jump technique comes back to bite him in the as$, and he finishes fifth at Nationals again?

  13. #58
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,855
    ^^Credit to Kovtun for getting fourth place, because yes, we don't know for sure Voronov/Menshov would've placed top 10. But we also don't know for sure if Russia will have Team gold had Voronov skated at the Olympics. The Russian Federation screwed him over, if you're going to use those terms. Not Plushenko.

    Kovtun landed one quad at Worlds LP. Quads attempted =/= quads landed. I'd rather Pitkeev skates some solid, consistent programs than if he runs around attempting a million quads, because the latter probably won't work out for him (if it does, bye bye Kovtun, Gachinski, Voronov, Menshov, Plushenko, everybody. Darn it, the Kovtun-Gachinski drama would've been over before it started).

  14. #59
    umm...
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Bears, vodka, balalaika...
    Posts
    644
    Oh no... Y/M are one more year on junior level. I really hoped that they would change their mind after I/K catastrophe.

  15. #60
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow63 View Post
    Oh no... Y/M are one more year on junior level. I really hoped that they would change their mind after I/K catastrophe.
    Maybe Y/M want to win the Junior Worlds, but i don't really think they need it. With this splits, Y/M could have a great chance to show themselves as a senior team. And in next season who knows how it will be and how strong will be the new pairs. I think they miss their real chance.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •