Team Russia for 2014/2015 Season | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Team Russia for 2014/2015 Season

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Maybe Y/M want to win the Junior Worlds, but i don't really think they need it. With this splits, Y/M could have a great chance to show themselves as a senior team. And in next season who knows how it will be and how strong will be the new pairs. I think miss their real chance.

That's exactly what I think. Who cares about JW anyway? Next year they will dominate on Junior level, and will most possibly win everything. But Hawayek/Baker will be one step ahead of them on senior level.
I still can't believe it :no:

Anastasi14

On the Ice
That's exactly what I think. Who cares about JW anyway? Next year they will dominate on Junior level, and will most possibly win everything. But Hawayek/Baker will be one step ahead of them on senior level.
I still can't believe it :no:

Same thoughts. As the reality shows it isn't easy for the juniors to become seniors and fight their place in the senior team. And i can understand why a pair decide to remain juniors when the competition in the national team is so tight, like it was in Russian team in past seasons. But the Universe gives the unbelievable opportunity to show what they are capable of and gain their place quicker (i really don't know how to name it when two of three best pairs in a team split up). Maybe it wasn't their decision? Maybe the Fed pushes them to stay juniors. Or their coach don't want to deal with two senior pairs; Because it's not easy simultaneously to work with a completely new pair, that need a lot of attention, and to train a pair who need to make a good senior impression.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm not certain. As in, yes, he won't be a medal contender without quads. But that doesn't automatically mean they won't send him. If he skates super consistently over the next year while Menshov and Voronov do the exact opposite, they might send him to get three spots back instead of risking a 2012-style bomb. (Jason Brown got a top 10 Olympics finish without a quad, and he wasn't even pristine clean!)
I really like Pikteev but... There is still quite a difference between his overall skating and Jason's :rolleye::laugh: Don't get me wrong, he has time to develop for sure, but at the moment we can't compare Jason placing in the top10 without quads but with incredible ss, transitions, step sequences and spins to Pikteev who is a very good and consistent skater even without "incredible" qualities... (With a quad, however, things could change...)

Anastasi14

On the Ice
I really like Pikteev but... There is still quite a difference between his overall skating and Jason's :rolleye::laugh: Don't get me wrong, he has time to develop for sure, but at the moment we can't compare Jason placing in the top10 without quads but with incredible ss, transitions, step sequences and spins to Pikteev who is a very good and consistent skater even without "incredible" qualities... (With a quad, however, things could change...)

Pitkeev can become a great skater, he has everything to do it. But now he looks like a junior, his skating is very good but still junior. And that is not good for the components score. He need to develop a lot, and he need a better programs. Jason doesn't look like a junior and like a debutant of siniors events at all, his skating is mature and he has something special.

Alba

Record Breaker
Or their coach don't want to deal with two senior pairs; Because it's not easy simultaneously to work with a completely new pair, that need a lot of attention, and to train a pair who need to make a good senior impression.

This does make sense.

hanca

Record Breaker
Pitkeev can become a great skater, he has everything to do it. But now he looks like a junior, his skating is very good but still junior. And that is not good for the components score. He need to develop a lot, and he need a better programs. Jason doesn't look like a junior and like a debutant of siniors events at all, his skating is mature and he has something special.

Considering how well Radionova did at her first senior GP and Lipnistkaya last year at GP and this year at Europeans/worlds/Olympics, and Tuktamysheva at 2 seasons ago at GP, I don't think he would have problems. The PCS are supposed to measure skating skills etc, not his size.

Alba

Record Breaker
Considering how well Radionova did at her first senior GP and Lipnistkaya last year at GP and this year at Europeans/worlds/Olympics, and Tuktamysheva at 2 seasons ago at GP, I don't think he would have problems. The PCS are supposed to measure skating skills etc, not his size.

But the girls had hight tech.

Antilopa

On the Ice
even now Adian's 3A is better than Jason's

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Exactly! :thumbsup:

Anastasi14

On the Ice

I didn't mean his size. His skating is juniorish, good and very promising, but still juniorish. And i wouldn't compare girls and boys. Young girls have impressive jumps they can simply over jump all their competitors (and we know the wow factor and a clean skate can affect the components). With boys different situation, they need to grow up to have a better tech. And personally i don't like the idea to push a young boys to seniors and push them to learn quads as soon as possible.

Country
Russia
No, I think they qualify for two spots next year. Kovtun would've needed to place in the top 2 to earn 3 spots.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong).
You are right.

Russia has 3 spots in all four disciplines at Euro, 3 spots in Ladies, Pairs, Dance and 2 spots in Men at Worlds.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Anastasi14;946844 Maybe the Fed pushes them to stay juniors. Or their coach don't want to deal with two senior pairs; Because it's not easy simultaneously to work with a completely new pair said:
Yeah, I actually think the Fed probably had some say in this. We need to remember it is not the same in Russia as it is in other federations. Since the fed is providing all the funding, the fed gets a much larger say. in the USA if a team wants to move to Seniors or stay in Juniors, it's their choice and their triumph if it works out and their funeral if it doesn't. In Russia, I think it is much more of a discussion between a cross-section of people- the team, the coach, the fed.

Country
Russia
It will have to be Kovtun and another guy, unless Kovtun does awfully. There's no ignoring the fact that he came 4th, and he's a big reason Russia has 2 spots at Worlds, when it's likely but not absolutely guaranteed that Menshov/Voronov would have placed top 10.

I have a soft spot for Menshov and am really glad he got his Euro bronze. I'd also like Voronov to get more opportunities (IMO, he was screwed out of an Olympic team medal by Plushenko). Pitkeev's time will take a while. I don't think he'll get his quads as quickly as Kovtun did (essentially half a season to put in 2 quad toes, and one season later a 4S and programs with 3 quad attempts). Menshov can also easily do 4S in practice, so I'd love to see him bust out 3 quad programs.
Pitkeev is 3 years younger than Kovtun. Best for him is one or two seasons in Juniors.

And we also must remember Kvitelashvili (same age as Kovtun), if he will earn stabulity, he will be very serious level skater.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I didn't mean his size. His skating is juniorish, good and very promising, but still juniorish. And i wouldn't compare girls and boys. Young girls have impressive jumps they can simply over jump all their competitors (and we know the wow factor and a clean skate can affect the components). With boys different situation, they need to grow up to have a better tech. And personally i don't like the idea to push a young boys to seniors and push them to learn quads as soon as possible.
I agree Pitkeev isn't nearly the performer Jason is. He's also younger, and still needs to work on those areas. I was thinking in terms of building momentum by skating super-consistently while the rest of the men's field are crazy inconsistent. But then I realized how little mistakes and falls cost these days, meaning he'll be behind someone who tried and failed at quads even if he skates clean. So... yes, nevermind, it'll be difficult for him to make the Worlds team without a semi-decent quad.

He's sixteen and very undeveloped (physically, not just in terms of skating). I, too, wouldn't push him to learn quads before the bones are properly formed. I'm not sure what they're going to do with him in seniors though. I suspect he'll end up trying quads...