Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Team Russia for 2014/2015 Season

[QUOTE=Anastasi14;946844 Maybe the Fed pushes them to stay juniors. Or their coach don't want to deal with two senior pairs; Because it's not easy simultaneously to work with a completely new pair, that need a lot of attention, and to train a pair who need to make a good senior impression.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I actually think the Fed probably had some say in this. We need to remember it is not the same in Russia as it is in other federations. Since the fed is providing all the funding, the fed gets a much larger say. in the USA if a team wants to move to Seniors or stay in Juniors, it's their choice and their triumph if it works out and their funeral if it doesn't. In Russia, I think it is much more of a discussion between a cross-section of people- the team, the coach, the fed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    It will have to be Kovtun and another guy, unless Kovtun does awfully. There's no ignoring the fact that he came 4th, and he's a big reason Russia has 2 spots at Worlds, when it's likely but not absolutely guaranteed that Menshov/Voronov would have placed top 10.

I have a soft spot for Menshov and am really glad he got his Euro bronze. I'd also like Voronov to get more opportunities (IMO, he was screwed out of an Olympic team medal by Plushenko). Pitkeev's time will take a while. I don't think he'll get his quads as quickly as Kovtun did (essentially half a season to put in 2 quad toes, and one season later a 4S and programs with 3 quad attempts). Menshov can also easily do 4S in practice, so I'd love to see him bust out 3 quad programs.
    Pitkeev is 3 years younger than Kovtun. Best for him is one or two seasons in Juniors.

And we also must remember Kvitelashvili (same age as Kovtun), if he will earn stabulity, he will be very serious level skater.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasi14 View Post
    I didn't mean his size. His skating is juniorish, good and very promising, but still juniorish. And i wouldn't compare girls and boys. Young girls have impressive jumps they can simply over jump all their competitors (and we know the wow factor and a clean skate can affect the components). With boys different situation, they need to grow up to have a better tech. And personally i don't like the idea to push a young boys to seniors and push them to learn quads as soon as possible.
    I agree Pitkeev isn't nearly the performer Jason is. He's also younger, and still needs to work on those areas. I was thinking in terms of building momentum by skating super-consistently while the rest of the men's field are crazy inconsistent. But then I realized how little mistakes and falls cost these days, meaning he'll be behind someone who tried and failed at quads even if he skates clean. So... yes, nevermind, it'll be difficult for him to make the Worlds team without a semi-decent quad.

He's sixteen and very undeveloped (physically, not just in terms of skating). I, too, wouldn't push him to learn quads before the bones are properly formed. I'm not sure what they're going to do with him in seniors though. I suspect he'll end up trying quads...

Custom Title
    Do you guys think the Russian men could get 3 spots for Worlds 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    Yeah, if they skated to their potential, I really do. Whether they can skate to their potential is a different question.

Custom Title
    Of course they could. Look at Kovtun - he placed fourth and yet he had been beaten by Voronov and Menshov at the Europeans. So if Kovtun does the same as he did last year, and either Voronov or Menshov attend and skate as well as they did at Europeans, the chance is there. It definitely does not look as a smaller chance than Pogorilaya and Lipnitskaya getting three spots for ladies and yet they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by lazygirl View Post
    Yes, They are a couple
    Oh, so cute!! (yes, I know that we're talking about a teenagers couple )

Banned
    as realistic as Meite/Helgessons becoming a World champion

Custom Title
    Of course it's possible. If Voronov had skated his Euros programs at Worlds, he would have placed 4th. Both Menshov and Voronov at Euros got high enough scores that, coupled with Kovtun's 4th, would have easily been 9th or higher ... Not guaranteed they would have skated as well at worlds but quite likely enough to have gotten 3 spots.

Custom Title
    Of course it's possible. If Voronov had skated his Euros programs at Worlds, he would have placed 4th. Both Menshov and Voronov at Euros got high enough scores that, coupled with Kovtun's 4th, would have easily been 9th or higher ... Not guaranteed they would have skated as well at worlds but quite likely enough to have gotten 3 spots.
    Also, don't forget that some of the top skaters are retiring or having a season off. So next season there won't be Chan, Takahashi, Joubert and few others. If Kovtun placed the same as last year, all that is needed from the second guy is to place 9th. Not impossible.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Also, don't forget that some of the top skaters are retiring or having a season off. So next season there won't be Chan, Takahashi, Joubert and few others. If Kovtun placed the same as last year, all that is needed from the second guy is to place 9th. Not impossible.
    Yup! I mean, the field was pretty weak save for the top 3... I mean, the US men were able to get 3 spots.

Banned
    Yup! I mean, the field was pretty weak save for the top 3... I mean, the US men were able to get 3 spots.
    the US men have the econd deepest field after Japan
    and next season wont be easy, there is Yuzu, Yan, Machida ? , Jason, Aaron, Javier etc.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Do they? That's why they had only two spots at 2014 worlds?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    and next season wont be easy, there is Yuzu, Yan, Machida ? , Jason, Aaron, Javier etc.
    They have a deep field with talented skaters, but very few are World podium worthy. Brown has yet to have a quad, Abbott is hugely inconsistent, Aaron is viewed as a technical skater, Farris has yet to get consistency and remain healthy.

Although, yes, behind Japan and with Chan not in the picture, the US are the number 2 country in terms of depth. I'd argue that Russia is not far behind the US in terms of quality of men's field. They have a man in their top 4 at Worlds, and two other Russians podiumed at Euros. And you have upcomers like Pitkeev. China is on the cusp of also having a strong men's field, depending on how skaters like Jin turn out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Do they? That's why they had only two spots at 2014 worlds?
    A deep field doesn't necessarily mean a strong field. The US men are good, but not great. It's more than most other countries, but by no means are they able to contend with Japan or solo skaters like Ten (when he's on) or Fernandez. Then you have skaters like Han Yan who can only get better. And if Reynolds happens to skate to his potential (which is admittedly not very often), he can easily beat the Americans.

I mean, the US men did well to maintain 3 spots in a weak Worlds field (save for the top 3), but at the Olympics they only managed 9th and 12th, and were pretty meh in the team event. But still, that was enough to make them the second best country after Japan (arguably tied with CZE for 2nd).

The reality is, the only country with a truly deep men's field - which one could arbitrarily define as having 3 or more skaters who have the ability to place top 10 at Worlds - is Japan.

It's something like:

Japan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Canada (with Chan) >>>> US > Russia/Czechoslovakia > France > Spain > Canada (without Chan)

Unless Brown gets a quad, I think it will be a long time before we see another US man atop or even on the World podium.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast