What determines your American Idol vote? | Golden Skate

What determines your American Idol vote?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Do you vote for your favorite of the evening, your overall favorite, who you think has the best chance of having a successful career or does something else determine who gets your AI vote?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
We place 3-5 votes for the top 2-3 performers of that evening. For instance, we voted for Amy on country night because she was superb. That was the only time we voted for Amy. RG Jr. grabs the phone as soon as they are done. Jennifer, La Toya & George are usually our faves. Luckily, we're unanimous in our choices or things could get ugly! Can you picture me on one line, while RG Jr. tries to cancel out my votes on another line? No, that would definitely not be pretty.

We just spend a few minutes on voting. I've got better things to do for 2 hours a night. I believe that for the most part, in the end, the cream will rise and the most talented people will either win AI or score record contracts. If the public really loves you, you will succeed, whether or not you win this talent show.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
I almost always work Tuesday nights, so don't get to vote. But the few times I have been able to, it's been for the person I feel has the best voice AND presence, and I'll admit, personality will get in there to me also. I think Fantasia has talent, but I can't stand how she presents herself, she rubs me totally totally wrong, and could never see myself voting for her. George or LaToya, yes.

Kasey

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
First year, I got in on the last voting night... and I hadn't even heard them sing... but from interviews I knew Kelly was the one I wanted to win... so I voted for her a couple times

then after the finale I was hooked and couldn't WAIT for American Idol... but things got busy and I forgot about it until the top 11... Clay, Ruben, and Josh all blew me away so I voted for them...

then I found out Clay was a Southern Baptist and I figured that I'd vote for him and Josh because Ruben'd get all the votes. Then it was just CLAY because he was the best and I really liked his personality. To me personality AND talent are key.

Now this year... I'm voting for John Stevens... YES he's not the very best in this contest... but that's George and my best friend is voting for him for 2 hours straight so for now I'm not worried. :laugh: Honestly, I really want to see how John does on big band... "My Girl" was the only horrid song he's done. I enjoyed his song this past week, I guess I'm crazy (oh wait, what did one person say on the other thread... an idiot! that's right I like that one best :rolleye: :laugh: ) but it was different he danced... he had the whole Clay Aiken "Grease" Vibe :laugh: I loved his country night... he's really good... it's just weird to hear his style in the different genres...

but! if he blows it I may go down to one hour voting for him and one hour voting for George... I watch Law and Order (or the Guardian and Judging Amy) and vote like crazy! :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I usually establish my favorite or favorites early on based on talent, personality, and basic appeal. I will vote for that person or persons regardless of how they sing......if they have an off night, but are usually a good performer, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and vote for them. I know this isn't how it's suppose to work, but human nature kicks in I guess. My consistent favs and vote getters have been Jasmine, LaToya, and George. Any one of these singers could win and I'd be happy. I also like Dianne and occassionally Fantasia (but only one performance, the country one, sold me on her).........42

mike79

On the Ice
show 42 said:
I usually establish my favorite or favorites early on based on talent, personality, and basic appeal. I will vote for that person or persons regardless of how they sing......if they have an off night, but are usually a good performer, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and vote for them. I know this isn't how it's suppose to work, but human nature kicks in I guess. My consistent favs and vote getters have been Jasmine, LaToya, and George. Any one of these singers could win and I'd be happy. I also like Dianne and occassionally Fantasia (but only one performance, the country one, sold me on her).........42

I completely agree Show. Although I can't vote for American Idol, I use the same ways of determining my voting for Canadian Idol. If my favorite is good every week but is a little off for one night I would definitely give them the benefit of the doubt. I would say that applies to Jasmine for me. Although she didn't do that well with 'Breathe' she's been great on everything else. My other faves, George and Fantasia never have off nights!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Show, Mike... if that's the case then I have a question

why is it so bad that JPL and John have fan bases... we just do the same thing you do... but why is it bad when THEY have them but not when George/Fantasia/Diana/Jasmine have them?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Toni......it doesn't bother me that any of the competitors have fan bases.......I guess it's what one likes as far as singing styles go. I felt right off the bat that George, LaToya, and Jasmine have knock-out voices and would buy their CD's. The problem with me is, I don't see great, not even good singing voices with JPL and John Stevens, pleasant yes, but not great and not good enough for me to buy their music..........others feel differently I understand, and that's what makes this competition fun, I guess, is that there is this wide base of opinions and preferences.....:) 42

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Can you picture me on one line, while RG Jr. tries to cancel out my votes on another line? No, that would definitely not be pretty

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I vote a couple of times for my overall favorites and if someone who is not my favorite has a very good night (Amy on country night and Jennifer on EJ night) I will give them a couple of votes too. But my favorites are based on who I think is giving the best performances and usually they are pretty consistant week after week. If one has a bad evening I will still give them a vote.

OTOH some of the the teens and tweens I know vote as long as they can get through for different reasons on different nights ( worst performance of the evening, worst outfit, best outfit, best cleavage, LOL). IMO AI is to this generation what name it and claim it and call in requests on the radio were to mine.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
teens and tweens are not the only ones who vote for 2+ hours straight... last year there were a lot of older women(and maybe some men) who voted for Clay non-stop

and a lot of Canadians drove across the border and rented hotel rooms and phoned in too! :eek: now THAT is taking it too far! :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This coming week is going to be intense. In my opinion, the contestants that are left who have any real talent are Jasmine, Jennifer, LaToya, Dianne, Fantasia, and George. One of these will have to go. I guess it's been proven that the two Johns are here to stay awhile........:eek: 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually I don't think George, or Jasmine have anything to worry about

JPL, John Stevens, Fantasia, Jennifer, and Diana have to watch their backs

mike79

On the Ice
Hi Toni

Nothing wrong with fan bases, that's fine by me. I just don't like it when someone gets booted before someone with less talent. If George was booted before JPL or John that would be ridiculous.

Kind of like when Tamyra was booted before Nikki and Justin. It was so wrong that someone of her talent was booted so early. Tamyra was good enough to maybe even win that competition.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I know I'll be afraid to ask but... what about American Idol 2? Ruben and Clay were both deserving... and definately the best... where were teh robberies *has a feeling she knows LOL*

Kasey

Medalist
I agree with Mike, AI 1 should have come down to Kelly vs. Tamyra. Last year, the biggest "robbery" was Carmen getting into the final twelve at all, and then staying as long as she did. (although the too long existence of Kim Caldwell and Julia DeMato was questionable too). The final two should have been Clay and Ruben, OR Clay and Kimberly Locke. This year, already, I think Amy should have lasted longer than Camile.

Kasey

Pati

On the Ice
A lot of people should have lasted longer than Camille. As a matter of fact, I can think of a few people that should have made the final 12 instead of Camille, but thats another discussion. :laugh:

I don't vote, but if I did, I think I'd vote for the performance of the night.

Toni, I really can't see John screwing up with the big band number. By all accounts, this should be his shining moment.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah well... I thought that Clay would do really well on Vincent and he totally blew that song :laugh: So I am not going to get my hopes up! :laugh:

"Big Band" has now gone MIA though... it looks like the producers aren't sticking to the original schedule!

mike79

On the Ice
Last year I completely agreed with Ruben, Clay, and Kim as the final three. As you know all too well I was very much against Josh making it as far as he did, although I'm glad he beat Carmen, Charles, and Julia.

I think Vanessa was robbed last year more than anyone. Talent-wise she was top 5 IMO, and she had the stage presence to back it up.

Overall I would have liked the results to have gone like this:

1. Ruben
2. Clay
3. Kim L
4. Trenyce
5. Vanessa
6. Rickey
7. Kim C
8. Corey (I know a lot of people hate him but his high register was amazing)
9. Josh
10. Julia
11. Carmen
12. Charles