Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran pair up.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Glad to know that you did not intend to sound dismissive of the importance of Canada to Tran.

I do remain unhappy that other posts regarding the Castelli/Tran partnership have placed her upon a pedestal for what seemed to be a my-way-or-the-highway approach to skating for her country. If Tran had been equally rigid, the partnership would not have been viable ... and yet I don't recall any praise for his more flexible attitude.

Instead, some of the GS posts seemed to be quick to assume -- erroneously, IMO -- that skating for Japan in the past proves that Tran doesn't care whether he skates for Canada or not. I believe that the exact opposite is more likely to be true. I think it would have been a very high priority for him to find a Canadian partner with whom to make a fresh start post-Takahashi -- in order to have clear sailing (skating? ) toward representing his own country in international competition, including the Olympics. If I were Tran, I would have resolved to never let myself get entangled in citizenship issues again. And indeed his first new partner was Purich of Canada. I bet that Tran did quite a bit of soul-searching before agreeing to put aside his desire to skate for Canada in order to accommodate Castelli's desire to skate for the U.S.

The only quote from Castelli that I have read is from the IceNetwork article:
    Castelli said she never considered representing Canada, telling icenetwork, "I'm American all the way."
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/...stical-hurdles (Jun 10)

I regret that the IN article did not quote Castelli more extensively. I really hope that she did not intend to sound so self-righteous (indirectly throwing Tran under the bus) and I really hope that she did make comments (for which the reporter did not have room in the article) acknowledging that lucky for her, Tran made a tough choice for the sake of their partnership.

Perhaps in future interviews, Castelli will have a chance to show respect for Tran's feelings for Canada and appreciation for his invaluable contribution to their partnership by skating for her country. As I said before, I like her, so my eyes and ears will be perked for what she has to say along those lines.
    I don't see why Castelli has to thank Tran publicly for skating for the US and I see no problem with her quote to IN. Pairs is essentially a business partnership. Tran must not have been satisfied with his business prospects in Canada after the failed pairing with Purich and the obvious lack of pair girls in Canada currently (see the current plight of Moskovitch). He tried out with the reigning US pairs champion whose terms of a partnership were that they skate for the US. He could have declined but decided the potential gains of skating with a strong partner outweighed the loss of not skating for his home country. I don't see it as some altruistic sacrifice on his part and I don't think she owes him or Canada anything as the choice was Tran's. I don't doubt it was a hard choice on his part but it's the one he made.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    I don't see why Castelli has to thank Tran publicly for skating for the US and I see no problem with her quote to IN. Pairs is essentially a business partnership. Tran must not have been satisfied with his business prospects in Canada after the failed pairing with Purich and the obvious lack of pair girls in Canada currently (see the current plight of Moskovitch). He tried out with the reigning US pairs champion whose terms of a partnership were that they skate for the US. He could have declined but decided the potential gains of skating with a strong partner outweighed the loss of not skating for his home country. I don't see it as some altruistic sacrifice on his part and I don't think she owes him or Canada anything as the choice was Tran's. I don't doubt it was a hard choice on his part but it's the one he made.
    Hi, flutzy. What I object to is the applause for Castelli from those who believe that she "cares more" than Tran about skating for one's own country.
    My reply would be that Tran OTOH seems to "care more" about being a cooperative partner than Castelli does.

Again, the brief quote by IN does not necessarily indicate the full scope of Castelli's true mindset, but I do feel that in isolation, it gives an unfortunate impression of throwing Tran under the bus. To me, those few words sound as if Castelli is patting herself on the back for being "American all the way" and by unflattering implication, dismissing the importance of Canada to Tran. The quote sounds also as if she is gloating that they have agreed to skate for her country. I am a fellow American to Castelli, and the quote makes me cringe.
    IMO, Tran deserves a partner who respects and appreciates the difficult choice that he did make. That is why I hope to read/hear more from Castelli. YMMV. (I will leave it there.)

ETA:
    Yes, it is a business partnership -- a business partnership between two human beings (and between two old friends, according to the IN article).
    If I were Castelli's new partner, looking ahead to many hours/days/weeks/months/years of working extremely closely with her, it would strengthen my commitment to the partnership if she treated me not only as a business partner, but also as a human being -- who has feelings -- and as a friend.
    Tran had to make a tough decision, and I hope that Castelli will have the decency not to feel entitled to rub his nose in it -- especially in public. The IN quote (in the absence of any other published remarks) struck me as insensitive at the very least, but it is possible that future comments from Castelli will overcome my misgivings. I hope so. (Now I really, really will try to leave it there .)

Custom Title
    I guess I am having trouble and it is just me that representing a nation clearly has nothing to do with national pride it is a business, it is about olympic and world glory. Sadly or forgotten there, usually, can only be three medallists. Not everyone can improve, not everyone can move up, not everyone can win a medal, someone is going to drop, lose not get medal. It is almost like a pro team - shopping around for that winning combination. I am sure the Reed's love skating and maybe even Japan but let's face it it is a bit of egotistic, narsicissic reasons skaters skate for certain countries. I know that's life Iguess it just feels kind of wrong.

News

@LynnRutherford
    Bruno Marcotte also reports @MarissaCastelli @skate_moivo doing well, he thinks they could have special partnership. Already running SP.
    1:40 PM - 25 Jul 2014
    https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/s...71318903758848

https://twitter.com/skate_moivo/stat...56351377965056

Someone knows about this, they are competing today?. where?

Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    https://twitter.com/skate_moivo/stat...56351377965056

Someone knows about this, they are competing today?. where?
    Quebec Summer Championships.

http://www.patinage.qc.ca/doc/result...2014/OD_68.pdf

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...pionships-2014

Great!. thank you

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    They are only scheduled to compete in the SP.

Hm.. I like what I'm seeing so far. Marissa is better matched with Mervin, I think. Not fully there technically, but good start.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    They are only scheduled to compete in the SP.
    VIDEO of Castelli/Tran SP:

Their score was 48.12.

Ice is slippery.

Their score was 48.12.
    Thank you! They have good chemistry together but their lifts and twist looks pretty labored. Maybe they just need more time?

1 Natasha Purich / Drew Wolfe Canada 48.98
    2 Marissa Castelli / Mervin Tran États-Unis d'Amérique 48.12
    3 Vanessa Grenier / Maxime Deschamps Canada 46.54
    WD Caitlin Yankowskas / Hamish Gaman Grande-Bretagne

Protocols:

Their score was 48.12.
    Thank you, they looks great and I like the program , I think they only need time to up their level.

I like the program and I like them. Very good chemistry and very fluid, gentle together.
    It's obvious they need more time and lot of work to up their level and the quality of some of the elements, like the twist, but I actually like the lifts. The one entering into the death spiral was gorgeous.

Custom Title
    The program felt very Marissa and Simon minus the huge twist and spectacular lifts. I guess that isn't a surprise given it's Marcotte choreo and Marissa was wearing a dress that she's used often in competition and shows. I kind of hope they avoid her in a black dress the next time they compete this- it's a summertime program and she and Simon did the all black costumes a lot.

Hopefully over time, they'll develop more of a unique style because as people have pointed out they had a nice, easy chemistry and move well together. The death spiral was gorgeous. With no chance at competing internationally for a year, they have a lot of time to get the rest of the elements down and become their own team.

Seeing this makes me interested to see the debut of Leng & Shnapir who I believe are also using Marcotte for choreo.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast