Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran pair up. | Golden Skate

Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran pair up.

Antilles

Medalist
Interesting. I wonder about their size difference, since I've only seen her next to the very large Shnapir. Too bad Canada won't get to hang on to such a talented pairs skater.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am happy for both Marissa and Mervin. Two very talented skaters! Wishing them much
success in their new partnership.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I really wanted to see Mervin come back and skate, he's too talented to be sitting on the side lines, I'm so happy he's found a partner but sad he isn't skating for Canada.

Must suck for him to switch around countries all the time, hopefully he can now settle down. Good luck to the two of them!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mervin will have skated for three countries, but he will have been coached by Bruno Marcotte in Montreal for all three pairings! Even with Marissa, he will be part time in Montreal.

charmblade

Final Flight
Super happy that Marissa found a partner, I'm hoping for good things from these two! I think it's a very good sign that she admitted that the logistical problems would have been a good excuse not to pair up but they were working so well together that it would be worth the headache. Really really hoping she is happier and successful with Mervin.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Congratulations to both of them. They're too talented to be left in limbo. Maybe I shouldn't say this as a Canadian, but I hope Skate Canada releases Tran so he'll have an opportunity to skate and possibly get good results. If his partnerships here aren't working out for him, it's time to let him go.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
This is a pairing I could never have imagined before reading the announcement, but fascinating it is. For one thing, it make take them some time to find a style they can call their own. But I am pleased to see they are sticking with Julia Marcotte for their choreography. Lots to look forward to with this pairing...

Alba

Record Breaker
I love Marissa, so I wish her all the best with her new partner.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I really wonder whether or not Skate Canda will make this difficult for them. I could see it going either way. On the one hand, Canada has a much more successful pair at the top with D/R than the US and both MT/M 2.0 and Dylan's new partnership are at least promsing on paper. And its not like Mervin didn't try to get a Canadian partner. Plus, his height is somewhat of a limitation. So perhaps, they'll view him as somewhat expendable at this point.

On the other hand, D/R are not young, the new MT/M teams are unproven (and they'll be dealing with Russia for a release of Lubov) and there's little to no depth down the pairs ranks- actually significantly less than the US where our top 7 teams from Nationals could have all been competitive in Sochi with their #3 L/S (who are also split). So I could see Canada being hesitant to expeditiously gift one of their stronger pairs skaters to America's 2 time National champion/best pairs girl when they're planing to train largely in Montreal.

She's fabulous though so I am selfishly glad it sounds like she wouldn't bend on the representing the US issue.

desertskates

Medalist
It'll be interesting to see how this develops. I like them both, just never really thought of them together until now. The height difference is about perfect. Perhaps happiness will even add to Marissa's already wonderful skating. Wishing them the best. And many safe road trips!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I would hope that Skate Canada would not take such a dog-in-the-manger-ish attitude about releasing Mervin. It is not like Skate Canada had a large investment in him. Japan supported Takahashi/Tran. And it's not like there are Canadian ladies lining up to skate with Mervin. Mervin skated for Canada for just one year.

emdee

Final Flight
I would hope that Skate Canada would not take such a dog-in-the-manger-ish attitude about releasing Mervin. It is not like Skate Canada had a large investment in him. Japan supported Takahashi/Tran. And it's not like there are Canadian ladies lining up to skate with Mervin. Mervin skated for Canada for just one year.

Well I would support Skate Canada if they stuck to the rules. He did skate for Canada at the four continents. I am sure that he would find a younger Canadian partner who was at a slightly lower level if he tried. I think he wanted Marissa as she wouldnt have to train up to his level.
He made a personal decision that was best for himself and he has to take whatever they dish out.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I didn't like what USFSA did to Morgan Matthews, and I wouldn't like it if Skate Canada destroyed Tran's hope of a later career either. If they should want Tran to pay back what they spent on him last year, I think that is very defensible, but the destruction of people to further nationalistic sports goals is deplorable, IMO.

It isn't like SC had a big investment in Tran-and wouldn't what funding he got have been mostly based on Purich's results with her previous partner, since he had skated for Japan for a long time? If the team indeed got any money from Skate Canada, given that they are not listed as being part of the Skate Canada 2013-2014 national team. This is not a surprise, since Purich and Tran did not compete at Canadian Nationals 2013, which is one of the criteria for being named to the team.
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athletes/nationalteam.aspx

And didn't Tran get Purich an assignment at TEB due to being a returning World medalist, a slot she would not otherwise have received?

Why should Tran be thinking about anything but his own (and now perhaps, Marissa's) career, in this case?

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker

I, too, hope Skate Canada will release him. I do miss Takahshi/Tran as a pair, but do hope that he can continue to meet success in his career.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I didn't like what USFSA did to Morgan Matthews, and I wouldn't like it if Skate Canada destroyed Tran's hope of a later career either. If they should want Tran to pay back what they spent on him last year, I think that is very defensible, but the destruction of people to further nationalistic sports goals is deplorable, IMO.

Yes, I never understood why they did what they did to Matthews, it was truly awful. She did suffer a career ending injury in any case, so USFSA can't be wholly blamed for the end of her career, but I felt how they went about things was very wrong.