Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran pair up.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I would hope that Skate Canada would not take such a dog-in-the-manger-ish attitude about releasing Mervin. It is not like Skate Canada had a large investment in him. Japan supported Takahashi/Tran. And it's not like there are Canadian ladies lining up to skate with Mervin. Mervin skated for Canada for just one year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I would hope that Skate Canada would not take such a dog-in-the-manger-ish attitude about releasing Mervin. It is not like Skate Canada had a large investment in him. Japan supported Takahashi/Tran. And it's not like there are Canadian ladies lining up to skate with Mervin. Mervin skated for Canada for just one year.
    Well I would support Skate Canada if they stuck to the rules. He did skate for Canada at the four continents. I am sure that he would find a younger Canadian partner who was at a slightly lower level if he tried. I think he wanted Marissa as she wouldnt have to train up to his level.
    He made a personal decision that was best for himself and he has to take whatever they dish out.

I didn't like what USFSA did to Morgan Matthews, and I wouldn't like it if Skate Canada destroyed Tran's hope of a later career either. If they should want Tran to pay back what they spent on him last year, I think that is very defensible, but the destruction of people to further nationalistic sports goals is deplorable, IMO.

It isn't like SC had a big investment in Tran-and wouldn't what funding he got have been mostly based on Purich's results with her previous partner, since he had skated for Japan for a long time? If the team indeed got any money from Skate Canada, given that they are not listed as being part of the Skate Canada 2013-2014 national team. This is not a surprise, since Purich and Tran did not compete at Canadian Nationals 2013, which is one of the criteria for being named to the team.
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athl...ionalteam.aspx

And didn't Tran get Purich an assignment at TEB due to being a returning World medalist, a slot she would not otherwise have received?

Why should Tran be thinking about anything but his own (and now perhaps, Marissa's) career, in this case?
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-11-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Custom Title
    I, too, hope Skate Canada will release him. I do miss Takahshi/Tran as a pair, but do hope that he can continue to meet success in his career.

I didn't like what USFSA did to Morgan Matthews, and I wouldn't like it if Skate Canada destroyed Tran's hope of a later career either. If they should want Tran to pay back what they spent on him last year, I think that is very defensible, but the destruction of people to further nationalistic sports goals is deplorable, IMO.

Yes, I never understood why they did what they did to Matthews, it was truly awful. She did suffer a career ending injury in any case, so USFSA can't be wholly blamed for the end of her career, but I felt how they went about things was very wrong.

Custom Title
    Congrats to them!

I hope Skate Canada will release them too. D/R is already a solid team, and M-T or Moscovitch and their partners could also be solid teams in upcoming years, so it doesn't make sense for Mervin to wrestle for that 3rd spot when he's got a much better chance of getting back to Worlds with Marissa skating for the US. And with Mervin's experience, him and Marissa (if they work out) could be the extra boost the US needs to be competitive in pairs again.

Custom Title

It isn't like SC had a big investment in Tran-and wouldn't what funding he got have been mostly based on Purich's results with her previous partner, since he had skated for Japan for a long time? If the team indeed got any money from Skate Canada, given that they are not listed as being part of the Skate Canada 2013-2014 national team. This is not a surprise, since Purich and Tran did not compete at Canadian Nationals 2013, which is one of the criteria for being named to the team.
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athl...ionalteam.aspx

And didn't Tran get Purich an assignment at TEB due to being a returning World medalist, a slot she would not otherwise have received?

Why should Tran be thinking about anything but his own (and now perhaps, Marissa's) career, in this case?
    I don't think its so much about moentary investment, since like you say they didn't invest much, but about the fact that he's a talented skater and a Canadian who they would prefer to have skating for Canada and not to team with a talented American for the benefit of the US. Its different than when they released him to skate for Japan when he was young as he's now a successful skater with an international reputation.

I wouldn't blame SC for making this hard for Tran (and I don't think US would have signed off on a Castelli release until they were forced to), but I really don't want to see Castelli adversely impacted by political games with the federations.

Custom Title
    I can see why Canada wouldn't want to release Tran and turn him from asset to opponent. However, it's not his fault there are no suitable partners in Canada.

FWIW, Mervin did place 4th with Natasha and now that Lawrence and Swigers are broken up, then Mervin, if he had a Canadian partner and was representing Canada, in essence would be in the mix for No.3, though as others pointed out with Moore-Towers/Marinao and Moscovitch/Iliushechkina it wouldn't be guaranteed.

Canadian pairs are actually in worse shape than the U.S. There were only seven pairs at the senior level at Canadian nationals and eight at the junior level. U.S. seniors had 12 pairs and 10 juniors.

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    I, too, hope Skate Canada will release him. I do miss Takahshi/Tran as a pair, but do hope that he can continue to meet success in his career.
    My thought, exactly! Wish Marissa & Mervin great success for many seasons to come.

Custom Title
    This switching of partners makes me realize how much I miss the Takahashi/Tran pairing!

Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post

I wouldn't blame SC for making this hard for Tran (and I don't think US would have signed off on a Castelli release until they were forced to), but I really don't want to see Castelli adversely impacted by political games with the federations.
    The USFSA would absolutely not have released her. I believe this with all my heart. She said in her interview that she's American rah patriotism and she'd never skate for another country, but in all absolute reality, I think what happened is that they talked and determined it would be easier for him to be released. She may well have patriotic feelings as well, and they may be strong, but I don't buy that they were not practical when talking about this.

Custom Title
    There is something "discomforting" about skaters switching countries just to compete like buying a new hoodie. I am indifferent but I do think Canada is in trouble.

Tran's parents fled southeast Asia and ended up in Saskatchewan. Since 2007, he trained in Montreal, QC, with Bruno Marcotte, for three different countries. If Japan would have given him citizenship, he would still be skating with Takahashi. She wanted to go to the Olympics, and probably the Japanese federation urged her to skate with a Japanese citizen, because of the team event and complete lack of Japanese pairs.

I do not know why Tran and Purich broke up. She is now skating with a guy named Wolfe.

It is a bit strange, but it seems to me that Tran's true country is the St. Leonard rink.

Custom Title
    You took Tanith, and now Mervin too?!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast