Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Chan's plans for the next quadrennial- your best guess

Banned

Chan's plans for the next quadrennial- your best guess

What will the plans for Chan be the next 4 years. My best guess is he will take 2014-2015 off for sure, maybe take 2015-2016 off too, come back for 2016-2017 (and possibly skate 2015-2016, that one is the iffy one), then make a decision whether to try for the 2018 Olympics and skate the 2017-2018 or not, largely based on his comeback results and the level of skating of others.

Custom Title
    I think he'll take 2014-15 off (this is all but confirmed, right?). 50% chance he'll talk about a comeback but never return. 50% chance he comes back in 2015-16. If he wins a fourth World title, he'll retire. If he doesn't but gets otherwise excellent results, he'll stay in until 2018 or until he is no longer competitive, whichever comes first.

I don't think Olympic gold is in the cards for him, but he might follow the Canadian tradition of a second silver. But it's equally possible he'll be a no-show, or off the podium, depending on what the skating gods think of team silver. So much can change in four years.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Take 14-15, and 15-16 off and come back for 16-17 to so-so results. After that he will discover his true passion is the food of northern Italy and open many successful restaurants.
    Ok, I made the last part up
    But I think if he take more than one year off, he'll lose valuable ground. We've seen a lot of good from him, so if the new guys move in and take over, I'm fine with that.

Custom Title
    I hope Nam develops dramatically by Pyeongchang and can beat Patrick if he ever comes back

Custom Title
    How could anyone even have an idea.

#TeamAUS
    Quote Originally Posted by pointyourtoe View Post
    I hope Nam develops dramatically by Pyeongchang and can beat Patrick if he ever comes back
    Ahh...so you are one of THOSE people.....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pointyourtoe View Post
    I would be completely fine with this. It would mean Nam's skating would have progressed to an unbelievable level and men's skating would be potentially dominated by him the subsequent quad.

It's been a while since there was a great Canadian men's rivalry.

Custom Title
    He gets a university degree and enjoys non-skating life. He writes a book. He performs in shows and does charity work. He tries out for 2016-17 in a Yuna-style comeback, see how he stacks against the rest of the field at that time and competes in worldsd, then makes decision to come back for 2018 at that point.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    He gets a university degree and enjoys non-skating life. He writes a book. He performs in shows and does charity work. He tries out for 2016-17 in a Yuna-style comeback, see how he stacks against the rest of the field at that time and competes in worldsd, then makes decision to come back for 2018 at that point.
    This.

Custom Title
    That's probably how it will turn out.

Custom Title
    What is known is that he will attend university this fall, that he will not participate in 2014 GP, that he wants to win another Worlds title to equal Kurt's and that even he does not know if he will go for the next Olympic, though he does not rule it out. The Olympic experience is exhilarating and additive to him. If he goes again, it's likely not with the heavy burden and obligation of winning gold for Canada.

Banned
    I agree with all that except the last part. After seeing how he stacks up with the rest of the world at age 27 in his comeback try, he decides to not go for 2018 as he sees there is no point. Well actually I dont even see the comeback for 2017 happening but could see that part happening.

Custom Title
    That might depend on Team Canada at that point too, if the Team Event still exists in 2018. Chan, a la Plushenko, might want to come back for the easy medal (maybe even gold if Canada happens to have upped the ante by that point).

Custom Title
    Or more like, a la Plushenko, he might come back to help his country win gold. If Canada wants gold next time, they better use Chan, since I can't see Canada overtaking Russia in either pairs or women. Ice dance is a toss-up depending on how the musical chairs works out. 27-year-old Chan still has a good chance of beating whoever Russia sends for men.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Or more like, a la Plushenko, he might come back to help his country win gold. If Canada wants gold next time, they better use Chan, since I can't see Canada overtaking Russia in either pairs or women. Ice dance is a toss-up depending on how the musical chairs works out. 27-year-old Chan still has a good chance of beating whoever Russia sends for men.
    It's hard to say at this very point, but you'd have to imagine that Nam would be helpful. Or even someone like Reynolds who won his team event segment (or at least most people think he should have, and arguably Machida too).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast