Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 55th ISU Congress: Who voted "For" and "Against" anonymous judging

Hybrid View

News 55th ISU Congress: Who voted "For" and "Against" anonymous judging

AGAINST anonymous judging
    Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Belgium, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Canada, China, Croatia, Denmark, France, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Japan, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United States

TOTAL: 30 Nations

FOR anonymous judging
    Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, Chinese Taipei, Cyprus, DPR Korea, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, The Philippines, Poland, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Slovakia, Sweden, Thailand, Uzbekistan

TOTAL: 24 Nations

Percentages

Against Anonymous Judging: 55.56%
    For Anonymous Judging/abstaining nations: 44.44%

NATIONS THAT ABSTAINED/Did not participate in the vote (for reasons like their isu membership status disaalows them to vote/not present: Brazil, Czech Republic, Grenada, India, Indonesia, Israel, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Morocco, Puerto Rico, Romania, United Arab Emirates

Motion Unsucessful

Swing needed for the motion to pass 10.44%
    That means that six more countries were needed to pass this motion.

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Only six more! I am crying! Let's hope for 2016 then, there is no other way.

Custom Title
    Korea's hypocrisy continues.

Bored
    One of those six could be my stupid nation

Why doesn't it surprise me?

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post

South Korea wins the award for hypocrisy.
    and the fans are angry about the ksu's decision... so don't generalize that "korea" is supporting the anonymous judging.. let's separate the korean fed from the fans' perspective..

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    and the fans are angry about the ksu's decision... so don't generalize that "korea" is supporting the anonymous judging.. let's separate the korean fed from the fans' perspective..
    Well let's hope that when people make such general statements (i.e. "The Russians are a bunch of cheaters") they are referring to the federation and not the skaters, though from some of the hateful posts I've read over the last few months some fans do seem to think that the skaters are the ones to blame.

I do think it's very weird that the KSF voted to keep it (or is it KSU? I'm thinking Korean Skating Federation...or is it Korean Skating Union? IDK, whatever). With so many fans still heated over the voting in Sochi and many of them demanding to see the scores, you'd think the country would support the decision to pull back the curtain and see which judge is giving which score.

I'm really shocked to hear they voted for it. Maybe the KSF is starting to build up their cred w/ other federations and will be politicking hard for the next few years in order to give their skaters a boost in 2018. Who knows? But I do think voting to keep the system that they (essentially) filed a petition against makes the KSF look all kinds of hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Well let's hope that when people make such general statements (i.e. "The Russians are a bunch of cheaters") they are referring to the federation and not the skaters, though from some of the hateful posts I've read over the last few months some fans do seem to think that the skaters are the ones to blame.

I do think it's very weird that the KSF voted to keep it (or is it KSU? I'm thinking Korean Skating Federation...or is it Korean Skating Union? IDK, whatever). With so many fans still heated over the voting in Sochi and many of them demanding to see the scores, you'd think the country would support the decision to pull back the curtain and see which judge is giving which score.

I'm really shocked to hear they voted for it. Maybe the KSF is starting to build up their cred w/ other federations and will be politicking hard for the next few years in order to give their skaters a boost in 2018. Who knows? But I do think voting to keep the system that they (essentially) filed a petition against makes the KSF look all kinds of hypocritical.
    seriously i don't think it's all about figure skating why korean skating union voted for anonymous judging.. it has something about speedy's proposal before the ksu/koc decided to file a complaint.. you forgot and others here that the korean fed hesitated to file a complaint because they said in statement that it will hurt their young skaters in korea.. which i find ridiculous in the first place.. that's why the korean skating union is the most despised federation in all sports in korea..

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Firstly, well done to Great Britain and Ireland for voting for abolishing anonymous judging. At least I don't have a reason to feel ashamed...

Well said!!!

I can understand you all getting annoyed with Korea for voting against the abolition. But, I feel compelled to point out something else significant which nobody has picked up on yet:

RUSSIA VOTED FOR THE ABOLITION

So, to all those saying "The Russians are a bunch of cheaters", stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

I do think it's very weird that the KSF voted to keep it (or is it KSU? I'm thinking Korean Skating Federation...or is it Korean Skating Union? IDK, whatever).
    It is KSU for Union rather than KSF Federation. I actually looked it up this morning for a comment I was posting in a different thread!

With so many fans still heated over the voting in Sochi and many of them demanding to see the scores, you'd think the country would support the decision to pull back the curtain and see which judge is giving which score.

Oh, don't start that. I think we've had enough conspiracy theories this season to do us a lifetime!

But, I agree with everybody that has commented so far: it does seem very hypocritical.

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    Completely and absolutely wrong. Thank you for sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of hypocrisy against the Korean federation in this thread. The Korean federation did not complain about anonymous judging in their appeal. Their complaint was about the composition of the judging panel and the specific actions of a specific judge on that panel.

If the Korean federation did not complain about the aspect of anonymous judging in their appeal, then it is not hypocritical for them to have voted to keep it. Got it? You are wrong.

It is a number of skating fans who have been vocal that anonymous judging allows cheating to happen more easily than under the 6.0 judging system, and that a vote to remove it is a vote against cheating, and a vote to keep it is automatically a vote for cheating. Not everyone necessarily shares that belief.

I am not arguing that anonymous judging is not a problem, but it is only one part of the problem, and it's not the one that Korea complained about previously. So while I disagree with their decision to vote to keep it, I do not see how their decision makes them hypocritical.

Nor am I impressed with Russia's vote to remove anonymous judging. I think they've already found that the best way to cheat is to control the technical panel and ensure their skater gets favorable calls.

Custom Title
    South Korea just wanted to go the opposite way of Russia. There's nothing persuasive for an advocate of secrecy to accuse "the composition of the judging panel and the specific actions of a specific judge".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Completely and absolutely wrong. Thank you for sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of hypocrisy against the Korean federation in this thread. The Korean federation did not complain about anonymous judging in their appeal. Their complaint was about the composition of the judging panel and the specific actions of a specific judge on that panel.
    Funny how they had no problem with the vice-president of the KSU sitting on the panel in Vancouver that gave Yuna Kim the gold and a ridiculous world-record score...

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Completely and absolutely wrong. Thank you for sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of hypocrisy against the Korean federation in this thread.
    Nor am I impressed with Russia's vote to remove anonymous judging. I think they've already found that the best way to cheat is to control the technical panel and ensure their skater gets favorable calls.
    And what you are doing is sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of corruption against the Russian federation, so let's call it a tie.

Custom Title
    Both Feds suck. Who makes up the KSU? They don't seem to do much of anything unless they're pressured into doing so, and until then it's a half-hearted gesture to appeal the public. Idk if I'd call the KSU hypocritical so much not giving a flying hoot.

Custom Title
    Funny how they had no problem with the vice-president of the KSU sitting on the panel in Vancouver that gave Yuna Kim the gold and a ridiculous world-record score...
    Don't change the argument around. The above is not relevant to anonymous judging and whether or not the KSU is a hypocrite on that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    And what you are doing is sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of corruption against the Russian federation, so let's call it a tie.
    I didn't make multiple obviously wrong calls in Sochi that favored the skater representing my own country, as the technical panel, which included Russian technical controller Alexander Lakernik, did. Adelina Sotnikova's lutz will NEVER be considered a true lutz, no matter how many years pass and how much the ISU wants to move on. The protocols from the 2014 Olympics will always show that her lutz went uncalled. The evidence is there in the skating and in the protocols. I don't have to spark anything.

Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    For Anonymous Judging
    Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, Chinese Taipei, Cyprus, DPR Korea, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, The Philippines, Poland, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Slovakia, Sweden, Thailand, Uzbekistan
    WHY??? What are their motives?

I can understand Italy (The Cinq is Italian) but what does a nation like Thailand, Singapore or Malaysia benefit by voting against abolishing secret judging. They gain nothing from this!!

To my surprise alot of east european nations have voted against this motion.

Chinese Taipei have been given rights to host Four Continents twice this last Olympic Cycle and are hosting again. Maybe a deal?

And South Korea. What is wrong- You were just a victim of secret judging and you vote against it. Honestly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast