Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 55th ISU Congress: Who voted "For" and "Against" anonymous judging

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I think it's ultimately simple: Everyone looks in terms of their own interests. Russia knows anonymous judging will work against them in Pyeongchang, and they have the talent to medal on their own merits. Also, they've been a great figure-skating power for a long time and can probably survive without anonymous judging in the cycles to come. Korea, on the other hand, is planning Koreavengeance and wants to ensure their skaters have a good showing in their home country. At this point, they're understandably not confident that they can make it on talent alone.
    and at the end it was the dwarf who killed the giants.

Custom Title
    I feel ashamed.....Anonymous judging is killing this sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Poice View Post
    I feel ashamed.....Anonymous judging is killing this sport.
    I'm against it but how can you say that anonymous judging is killing this sport? We had the old system with judges and their marks well known and people still went crazy about their marks.

Custom Title
    ^Yeah, but FS was popular back then. (I don't think it's losing popularity because of anonymous judging though. Many other factors: IJS vs. 6.0 in general, lack of female star in US, '90s popularity came from a series of circumstances unlikely to be repeated: Nancy vs. Tonya + emergence of Michelle Kwan).

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Maybe something good will come out of this. Some Fed's will shut up their mouth before complaining about anonymous judging.
    *muffled laughter*

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    I'm just curious as to why 30 nations voting against anonymous judging is trumped by 24 voting for it. Majority vote should take precedence here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fleeting View Post
    I'm just curious as to why 30 nations voting against anonymous judging is trumped by 24 voting for it. Majority vote should take precedence here.
    I know right? It's awfully stupid.

And I'm as amazed as everyone else that Korea is for anonymous judging.

Purely speculative, but maybe they're worried if they have medal hopefuls in 2018 they can't engineer a higher placement or medal should there be transparent judging.

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fleeting View Post
    Logically, 2/3rds allows those smaller nations and many of them with Speed Skating votes to maintain control over decision-making.

I will continue to believe the only way this grip will be broken is for those nations who voted for eliminating secret judging to leave the ISU and create a new international skating governing body. It will be messy but the only sure way to have control over the sport with the majority of those federations committed to having their Figure Skating Branches control Figure Skating.

Custom Title
    I'm against it but how can you say that anonymous judging is killing this sport? We had the old system with judges and their marks well known and people still went crazy about their marks.
    It's just my opinion. Of course there are more problems but I think anonymous judging unnecessary confuse fans. I don't understand why we can't see how judges scored skaters..It should be public information like protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I know right? It's awfully stupid.

And I'm as amazed as everyone else that Korea is for anonymous judging.

Purely speculative, but maybe they're worried if they have medal hopefuls in 2018 they can't engineer a higher placement or medal should there be transparent judging.
    i think you give the korean fed too much credit.. they don't have the political power to do it nor the brains to even orchestrate such thing..

and i'm more amazed that some are surprised about the korean fed's decision to support anonymous judging..

The difference is that before 2002 casual fans trusted that judges were mostly trying to do the right thing and they no longer do and _nothing_ the ISU has done since 2002 has restored fan trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Poice View Post
    It's just my opinion. Of course there are more problems but I think anonymous judging unnecessary confuse fans. I don't understand why we can't see how judges scored skaters..It should be public information like protocols.
    I agree. It's only a good thing to see how the judges scores.
    What I meant is that it's an exaggeration to think that this is killing FS, because we had it before with the 6.0 system and still we had the same problems.

Custom Title
    I agree. It's only a good thing to see how the judges scores.
    What I meant is that it's an exaggeration to think that this is killing FS, because we had it before and still we had the same problems.
    It's not "killing FS" in the sense that we're still getting wonderful programs from skaters and we still love to watch it. It is however undermining the credibility of results... I mean, it makes absolutely no sense to keep the judging anonymous. NO sense. We're not talking about an overhaul (like removing the SP ). It's a simple change.

it is not only the anonymous judging is killing the sport.. speedy's lack of interest of it and the lack of interest from the fans outside of skating community.. they just don't care..

Custom Title
    Russia could go either way. If the anonymous judging was abolished, they could monitor their clients more effectively (and save money). Or if it stays, they can continue with their old tactics. Since they are fairly certain that small federations are againt abolishing it, it would be better to take the side of the major federations so that they could avoid being labeled a master of conspiracies.

Custom Title
    Maybe I used wrong words :D Sorry....I'm not fluent in English
    I just think that anonymous judging is only used by some people to create conspiracy theories. If judges have nothing to hide then why we can't see how they scored skaters?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast