55th ISU Congress: Who voted "For" and "Against" anonymous judging | Golden Skate

55th ISU Congress: Who voted "For" and "Against" anonymous judging

GF2445

Record Breaker
55th ISU Congress: Who voted "For" and "Against" anonymous judging

AGAINST anonymous judging
Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Belgium, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Canada, China, Croatia, Denmark, France, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Japan, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United States

TOTAL: 30 Nations

FOR anonymous judging
Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, Chinese Taipei, Cyprus, DPR Korea, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, The Philippines, Poland, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Slovakia, Sweden, Thailand, Uzbekistan

TOTAL: 24 Nations

Percentages

Against Anonymous Judging: 55.56%
For Anonymous Judging/abstaining nations: 44.44%

NATIONS THAT ABSTAINED/Did not participate in the vote (for reasons like their isu membership status disaalows them to vote/not present: Brazil, Czech Republic, Grenada, India, Indonesia, Israel, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Morocco, Puerto Rico, Romania, United Arab Emirates

Motion Unsucessful

Swing needed for the motion to pass 10.44%
That means that six more countries were needed to pass this motion.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Only six more! :cry: I am crying! Let's hope for 2016 then, there is no other way.

GF2445

Record Breaker
For Anonymous Judging
Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, Chinese Taipei, Cyprus, DPR Korea, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, The Philippines, Poland, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Slovakia, Sweden, Thailand, Uzbekistan
WHY??? What are their motives?

I can understand Italy (The Cinq is Italian) but what does a nation like Thailand, Singapore or Malaysia benefit by voting against abolishing secret judging. They gain nothing from this!!

To my surprise alot of east european nations have voted against this motion.

Chinese Taipei have been given rights to host Four Continents twice this last Olympic Cycle and are hosting again. Maybe a deal?

And South Korea. What is wrong- You were just a victim of secret judging and you vote against it. Honestly.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Let's just say that the countries with the talent and depth want fair judging and the countries without it don't. Apply that and you basically see the split (with some add-ins for the ethical countries who don't have a big skating presence but supported the motion).

What I find ironic is that the countries without talent or the numbers dictate the terms and are killing the sport for the countries that do have talent and the numbers.

South Korea wins the award for hypocrisy.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is this ******** anyways? A simple majority should be enough. So a bunch of rinky dink countries who can barely compete in this sport stopped this from being abolished? :bang:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
and the fans are angry about the ksu's decision... so don't generalize that "korea" is supporting the anonymous judging.. let's separate the korean fed from the fans' perspective.. :rolleye:

Well let's hope that when people make such general statements (i.e. "The Russians are a bunch of cheaters") they are referring to the federation and not the skaters, though from some of the hateful posts I've read over the last few months some fans do seem to think that the skaters are the ones to blame.

I do think it's very weird that the KSF voted to keep it (or is it KSU? I'm thinking Korean Skating Federation...or is it Korean Skating Union? IDK, whatever). With so many fans still heated over the voting in Sochi and many of them demanding to see the scores, you'd think the country would support the decision to pull back the curtain and see which judge is giving which score.

I'm really shocked to hear they voted for it. Maybe the KSF is starting to build up their cred w/ other federations and will be politicking hard for the next few years in order to give their skaters a boost in 2018. Who knows? But I do think voting to keep the system that they (essentially) filed a petition against makes the KSF look all kinds of hypocritical.

cooper

Medalist
Well let's hope that when people make such general statements (i.e. "The Russians are a bunch of cheaters") they are referring to the federation and not the skaters, though from some of the hateful posts I've read over the last few months some fans do seem to think that the skaters are the ones to blame.

I do think it's very weird that the KSF voted to keep it (or is it KSU? I'm thinking Korean Skating Federation...or is it Korean Skating Union? IDK, whatever). With so many fans still heated over the voting in Sochi and many of them demanding to see the scores, you'd think the country would support the decision to pull back the curtain and see which judge is giving which score.

I'm really shocked to hear they voted for it. Maybe the KSF is starting to build up their cred w/ other federations and will be politicking hard for the next few years in order to give their skaters a boost in 2018. Who knows? But I do think voting to keep the system that they (essentially) filed a petition against makes the KSF look all kinds of hypocritical.

seriously i don't think it's all about figure skating why korean skating union voted for anonymous judging.. it has something about speedy's proposal before the ksu/koc decided to file a complaint.. you forgot and others here that the korean fed hesitated to file a complaint because they said in statement that it will hurt their young skaters in korea.. which i find ridiculous in the first place.. that's why the korean skating union is the most despised federation in all sports in korea..

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, well done to Great Britain and Ireland for voting for abolishing anonymous judging. :clap: At least I don't have a reason to feel ashamed... ;)

:clap: Well said!!!

I can understand you all getting annoyed with Korea for voting against the abolition. But, I feel compelled to point out something else significant which nobody has picked up on yet:

RUSSIA VOTED FOR THE ABOLITION

So, to all those saying "The Russians are a bunch of cheaters", stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

I do think it's very weird that the KSF voted to keep it (or is it KSU? I'm thinking Korean Skating Federation...or is it Korean Skating Union? IDK, whatever).

It is KSU for Union rather than KSF Federation. I actually looked it up this morning for a comment I was posting in a different thread!

With so many fans still heated over the voting in Sochi and many of them demanding to see the scores, you'd think the country would support the decision to pull back the curtain and see which judge is giving which score.

Oh, don't start that. :eek: I think we've had enough conspiracy theories this season to do us a lifetime! :rolleye:

But, I agree with everybody that has commented so far: it does seem very hypocritical.

CaroLiza_fan

cooper

Medalist
I can understand you all getting annoyed with Korea for voting against the abolition. But, I feel compelled to point out something else significant which nobody has picked up on yet:

RUSSIA VOTED FOR THE ABOLITION

So, to all those saying "The Russians are a bunch of cheaters", stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

oh please... they were awarded already w/ hosting the olympics last feb.. :p

cooper

Medalist
I'll never understand KSU's intention. What the heck are they doing?

speed skating

ksu doesn't give a dam* about figure skating.. not even when yuna was still active.. so why do you think they will start caring now??

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'll never understand KSU's intention. What the heck are they doing?
I am very sorry for this to happen to KSU and to figure skating in general. I hope things will change in the next vote in 2016. By that time Speedy could have been down (hope so). :mad:
I hope in the years to come, Yuna could make some impact on KSU.

Icey

Record Breaker
Find a good hacker. Skaters have power and they need to start using it to get changes they might want.

Alba

Record Breaker
For anonymous judging

:laugh: :popcorn:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
That's turn out interestingly.... and 1. What exactly is South Korea's motive for not wanting get rid of anonymous judging after the whole Yuna/Adelina thing? 2. Why are so many smaller foundations against exposed judging and the larger ones in favor of it? (I thought it'd be the other way around.... and what exactly do the smaller European and Asian foundations have against it? Wouldn't it just increase accountability and expose blocs and corrupt judges?) 3. Why isn't the ISU passing this? There's a majority.... (or maybe it requires 2/3 of the foundations?)

And yes, the KSU is not coming off very favorably....

Alba

Record Breaker
That's turn out interestingly.... and 1. What exactly is South Korea's motive for not wanting get rid of anonymous judging after the whole Yuna/Adelina thing? 2. Why are so many smaller foundations against exposed judging and the larger ones in favor of it? (I thought it'd be the other way around.... and what exactly do the smaller European and Asian foundations have against it? Wouldn't it just increase accountability and expose blocs and corrupt judges?) 3. Why isn't the ISU passing this? There's a majority.... (or maybe it requires 2/3 of the foundations?)

And yes, the KSU is not coming off very favorably....

I think people continue to speak about blocks but it's not quite like that. Italy can swing their vote according to their own interest. Today they are with Russia, tomorrow they are with USA for example.
There are no monolithic blocks anymore, and small feds are those who "sell" their vote/marks. ;)