55th ISU Congress: Who voted "For" and "Against" anonymous judging | Page 3 | Golden Skate

55th ISU Congress: Who voted "For" and "Against" anonymous judging

Alba

Record Breaker
It's just my opinion. Of course there are more problems but I think anonymous judging unnecessary confuse fans. I don't understand why we can't see how judges scored skaters..It should be public information like protocols.

I agree. It's only a good thing to see how the judges scores.
What I meant is that it's an exaggeration to think that this is killing FS, because we had it before with the 6.0 system and still we had the same problems.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree. It's only a good thing to see how the judges scores.
What I meant is that it's an exaggeration to think that this is killing FS, because we had it before and still we had the same problems.

It's not "killing FS" in the sense that we're still getting wonderful programs from skaters and we still love to watch it. It is however undermining the credibility of results... I mean, it makes absolutely no sense to keep the judging anonymous. NO sense. We're not talking about an overhaul (like removing the SP :sarcasm:). It's a simple change.

cooper

Medalist
it is not only the anonymous judging is killing the sport.. speedy's lack of interest of it and the lack of interest from the fans outside of skating community.. they just don't care..

NMURA

Medalist
Russia could go either way. If the anonymous judging was abolished, they could monitor their clients more effectively (and save money). Or if it stays, they can continue with their old tactics. Since they are fairly certain that small federations are againt abolishing it, it would be better to take the side of the major federations so that they could avoid being labeled a master of conspiracies.

Poice

Final Flight
Maybe I used wrong words :D Sorry....I'm not fluent in English :)
I just think that anonymous judging is only used by some people to create conspiracy theories. If judges have nothing to hide then why we can't see how they scored skaters?

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
it is not only the anonymous judging is killing the sport.. speedy's lack of interest of it and the lack of interest from the fans outside of skating community.. they just don't care..

Agreed. I think Cinqaunta being the biggest problem. When your own president doesn't care why should fans.

jaylee

Medalist
Korea's hypocrisy continues.

Completely and absolutely wrong. Thank you for sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of hypocrisy against the Korean federation in this thread. The Korean federation did not complain about anonymous judging in their appeal. Their complaint was about the composition of the judging panel and the specific actions of a specific judge on that panel.

If the Korean federation did not complain about the aspect of anonymous judging in their appeal, then it is not hypocritical for them to have voted to keep it. Got it? You are wrong.

It is a number of skating fans who have been vocal that anonymous judging allows cheating to happen more easily than under the 6.0 judging system, and that a vote to remove it is a vote against cheating, and a vote to keep it is automatically a vote for cheating. Not everyone necessarily shares that belief.

I am not arguing that anonymous judging is not a problem, but it is only one part of the problem, and it's not the one that Korea complained about previously. So while I disagree with their decision to vote to keep it, I do not see how their decision makes them hypocritical.

Nor am I impressed with Russia's vote to remove anonymous judging. I think they've already found that the best way to cheat is to control the technical panel and ensure their skater gets favorable calls.

NMURA

Medalist
South Korea just wanted to go the opposite way of Russia. There's nothing persuasive for an advocate of secrecy to accuse "the composition of the judging panel and the specific actions of a specific judge".

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Completely and absolutely wrong. Thank you for sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of hypocrisy against the Korean federation in this thread. The Korean federation did not complain about anonymous judging in their appeal. Their complaint was about the composition of the judging panel and the specific actions of a specific judge on that panel.

Funny how they had no problem with the vice-president of the KSU sitting on the panel in Vancouver that gave Yuna Kim the gold and a ridiculous world-record score...

Alba

Record Breaker
Completely and absolutely wrong. Thank you for sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of hypocrisy against the Korean federation in this thread.
Nor am I impressed with Russia's vote to remove anonymous judging. I think they've already found that the best way to cheat is to control the technical panel and ensure their skater gets favorable calls.

And what you are doing is sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of corruption against the Russian federation, so let's call it a tie.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Both Feds suck. Who makes up the KSU? They don't seem to do much of anything unless they're pressured into doing so, and until then it's a half-hearted gesture to appeal the public. Idk if I'd call the KSU hypocritical so much not giving a flying hoot.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
The difference is that before 2002 casual fans trusted that judges were mostly trying to do the right thing and they no longer do and nothing_ the ISU has done since 2002 has restored fan trust.

Yup, that's it in a nutshell. But not just the fans -- I have to believe that skaters & coaches feel much the same. :cry:

jaylee

Medalist
Funny how they had no problem with the vice-president of the KSU sitting on the panel in Vancouver that gave Yuna Kim the gold and a ridiculous world-record score...

Don't change the argument around. The above is not relevant to anonymous judging and whether or not the KSU is a hypocrite on that issue.

And what you are doing is sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of corruption against the Russian federation, so let's call it a tie.

I didn't make multiple obviously wrong calls in Sochi that favored the skater representing my own country, as the technical panel, which included Russian technical controller Alexander Lakernik, did. Adelina Sotnikova's lutz will NEVER be considered a true lutz, no matter how many years pass and how much the ISU wants to move on. The protocols from the 2014 Olympics will always show that her lutz went uncalled. The evidence is there in the skating and in the protocols. I don't have to spark anything.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The ones who should be voting are the skaters. One skater, one vote, not one fed, one vote. Democracy instead of politics.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The ones who should be voting are the skaters. One skater, one vote, not one fed, one vote. Democracy instead of politics.

You have to be kidding.

1. Have you any idea how many votes that would be?!?!?! There can be a few hundred members of a CLUB on their own...multiply it by how many clubs are in a country...multiplied by how many countries...not to mention the vote would be skewed towards the big countries then.

2. Quite a substantial proportion of those skaters would be under 18 therefore not able to vote. And what about club members who are like five? Should they vote?

Skating is bigger than the elite internationals. I rather thought you would know that.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
You have to be kidding.

1. Have you any idea how many votes that would be?!?!?! There can be a few hundred members of a CLUB on their own...multiply it by how many clubs are in a country...multiplied by how many countries...not to mention the vote would be skewed towards the big countries then.

2. Quite a substantial proportion of those skaters would be under 18 therefore not able to vote. And what about club members who are like five? Should they vote?

Skating is bigger than the elite internationals. I rather thought you would know that.

Those on the ISU's list. The ones with the direct stakes.

It takes number to make democracy, not like two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Those on the ISU's list. The ones with the direct stakes.

Every skater has a direct stake in the future of the sport. Every skater who is a member of their club is, by default, a member of the ISU.

Every skater has a direct stake in the future of the sport. Every skater who is a member of their club is, by default, a member of the ISU.

That is the problem. No skater is a member of the ISU. No coach is a member of the ISU. No local club member or official is a member of the ISU. No human being is a member of the ISU.