Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 55th ISU Congress: Who voted "For" and "Against" anonymous judging

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    it is not only the anonymous judging is killing the sport.. speedy's lack of interest of it and the lack of interest from the fans outside of skating community.. they just don't care..
    Agreed. I think Cinqaunta being the biggest problem. When your own president doesn't care why should fans.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Korea's hypocrisy continues.
    Completely and absolutely wrong. Thank you for sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of hypocrisy against the Korean federation in this thread. The Korean federation did not complain about anonymous judging in their appeal. Their complaint was about the composition of the judging panel and the specific actions of a specific judge on that panel.

If the Korean federation did not complain about the aspect of anonymous judging in their appeal, then it is not hypocritical for them to have voted to keep it. Got it? You are wrong.

It is a number of skating fans who have been vocal that anonymous judging allows cheating to happen more easily than under the 6.0 judging system, and that a vote to remove it is a vote against cheating, and a vote to keep it is automatically a vote for cheating. Not everyone necessarily shares that belief.

I am not arguing that anonymous judging is not a problem, but it is only one part of the problem, and it's not the one that Korea complained about previously. So while I disagree with their decision to vote to keep it, I do not see how their decision makes them hypocritical.

Nor am I impressed with Russia's vote to remove anonymous judging. I think they've already found that the best way to cheat is to control the technical panel and ensure their skater gets favorable calls.

Custom Title
    South Korea just wanted to go the opposite way of Russia. There's nothing persuasive for an advocate of secrecy to accuse "the composition of the judging panel and the specific actions of a specific judge".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Completely and absolutely wrong. Thank you for sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of hypocrisy against the Korean federation in this thread. The Korean federation did not complain about anonymous judging in their appeal. Their complaint was about the composition of the judging panel and the specific actions of a specific judge on that panel.
    Funny how they had no problem with the vice-president of the KSU sitting on the panel in Vancouver that gave Yuna Kim the gold and a ridiculous world-record score...

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Completely and absolutely wrong. Thank you for sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of hypocrisy against the Korean federation in this thread.
    Nor am I impressed with Russia's vote to remove anonymous judging. I think they've already found that the best way to cheat is to control the technical panel and ensure their skater gets favorable calls.
    And what you are doing is sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of corruption against the Russian federation, so let's call it a tie.

Custom Title
    Both Feds suck. Who makes up the KSU? They don't seem to do much of anything unless they're pressured into doing so, and until then it's a half-hearted gesture to appeal the public. Idk if I'd call the KSU hypocritical so much not giving a flying hoot.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    The difference is that before 2002 casual fans trusted that judges were mostly trying to do the right thing and they no longer do and nothing_ the ISU has done since 2002 has restored fan trust.
    Yup, that's it in a nutshell. But not just the fans -- I have to believe that skaters & coaches feel much the same.

Custom Title
    Funny how they had no problem with the vice-president of the KSU sitting on the panel in Vancouver that gave Yuna Kim the gold and a ridiculous world-record score...
    Don't change the argument around. The above is not relevant to anonymous judging and whether or not the KSU is a hypocrite on that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    And what you are doing is sparking the hysterical, self-righteous accusations of corruption against the Russian federation, so let's call it a tie.
    I didn't make multiple obviously wrong calls in Sochi that favored the skater representing my own country, as the technical panel, which included Russian technical controller Alexander Lakernik, did. Adelina Sotnikova's lutz will NEVER be considered a true lutz, no matter how many years pass and how much the ISU wants to move on. The protocols from the 2014 Olympics will always show that her lutz went uncalled. The evidence is there in the skating and in the protocols. I don't have to spark anything.

Custom Title
    The ones who should be voting are the skaters. One skater, one vote, not one fed, one vote. Democracy instead of politics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    The ones who should be voting are the skaters. One skater, one vote, not one fed, one vote. Democracy instead of politics.
    You have to be kidding.

1. Have you any idea how many votes that would be?!?!?! There can be a few hundred members of a CLUB on their own...multiply it by how many clubs are in a country...multiplied by how many countries...not to mention the vote would be skewed towards the big countries then.

2. Quite a substantial proportion of those skaters would be under 18 therefore not able to vote. And what about club members who are like five? Should they vote?

Skating is bigger than the elite internationals. I rather thought you would know that.

Quote Originally Posted by fleeting View Post
    I'm just curious as to why 30 nations voting against anonymous judging is trumped by 24 voting for it. Majority vote should take precedence here.
    The congress needs a two thirds majority to pass a motion

Custom Title
    You have to be kidding.

1. Have you any idea how many votes that would be?!?!?! There can be a few hundred members of a CLUB on their own...multiply it by how many clubs are in a country...multiplied by how many countries...not to mention the vote would be skewed towards the big countries then.

2. Quite a substantial proportion of those skaters would be under 18 therefore not able to vote. And what about club members who are like five? Should they vote?

Skating is bigger than the elite internationals. I rather thought you would know that.
    Those on the ISU's list. The ones with the direct stakes.

It takes number to make democracy, not like two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Those on the ISU's list. The ones with the direct stakes.
    Every skater has a direct stake in the future of the sport. Every skater who is a member of their club is, by default, a member of the ISU.

Every skater has a direct stake in the future of the sport. Every skater who is a member of their club is, by default, a member of the ISU.
    That is the problem. No skater is a member of the ISU. No coach is a member of the ISU. No local club member or official is a member of the ISU. No human being is a member of the ISU.

Custom Title
    The lists

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast