55th ISU Congress: Who voted "For" and "Against" anonymous judging | Page 8 | Golden Skate

55th ISU Congress: Who voted "For" and "Against" anonymous judging

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I guess the more you know about art, the less you can enjoy it so obviously it pays to stay as ignorant as possible.
That is not a universal phenomenon. In fact, it's far less universal than the basic writing rules that you decry.

There was a period of time, after I did a lot of editing, when I started finding prose problems in books I was reading. I was afraid this would ruin books for me. Guess what? The feeling passed. I was able to shut off the editor's brain and enjoy books like I used to. And it also made me appreciate truly good prose a lot more than before.

Does the painter lose the ability to enjoy paintings? Ask any author out there--did becoming a professional writer cause them to dislike reading? These people learned the nuts-and-bolts behind the art, but that did not take away from its magic.

I think the problem with these discussions of artsiness in figure skating is that we are not actually talking about ART. When we say that a figure skater is "artistic" we mean that she moves gracefully, that she holds the landing edge of her triple Salchow a little longer than the other girls do, that she skates more vigorously when the music gets louder and faster and more languidly when the music gets "lyrical" -- that sort of thing. Janet Lynn is offered as an example of a skater who was good at that.

In modern times, these virtues have largely given way to a greater appreciation of maximum speed throughout, busy transitions, virtuoso footwork, changes of position in spins, and harder entries to jumps. People (like me) who were used to old-timey skating think the new stuff is less pretty.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Less pretty". :laugh:

That's fair :yes: As this new generation gets older and less tech savy we'll probably see a trending toward soft "more pretty skating". I think everything is in a bit of a proving ground state as everyone is scrambling to try and establish themselves on the scene today. Once order is in place and things become more certain we may start to see a return to the "pretty". So many youngsters now and it seems like they're certainly trying to be pretty out there. :popcorn:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The issue with talking about skaters and artistry is: who is defining what is considered "artistic"? I think Max is artistic, but there are plenty of people who would call me an idiot (and I have been called an idiot) for thinking so.

The issue with talking about skaters and artistry is: who is defining what is considered "artistic"? I think Max is artistic, but there are plenty of people who would call me an idiot (and I have been called an idiot) for thinking so.

To me, sport itself is artistry. There is nothing more artistic than a text-book perfect triple Axel. :love:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Hanyu's 3A, with the crazy entry and the great running landing edge. :love:
Close up on his 3A for you: https://31.media.tumblr.com/d8e1bff796b1e246c613cbbb7429525d/tumblr_n7pxyy1X1O1tv8i85o1_250.gif

Agree with Mathman, sport is also another form of art.

I think people all have a certain common sense. If a skater has really good presentation, her movements would look more fluid and natural, even if she is playing the role of a robot. And I think that many people would agree even if her style is not their taste. They might acknowledge it deep down inside but don't want to admit. :laugh:

For example, I am not Yuna and Mao's fan, but I have to admit their performances have great artistry (even though they are not my cup of tea). :)