2012-2013 1, 3
    2011-2012 5, 6
    2010-2011 1, 4
    2009-2010 8, 2
    2007-2008 4
    2006-2007 6, 7

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Will this mean she will take a run at 2018? Or will she just skate a couple of years and close her career off on a good note (a la Sarah Meier at 2011 Euros)?

Good luck Kiira!
    Since Helsinki is bidding for 2017 Worlds, I'd imagine that would make a good retirement spot, or even if Stockholm wins the bid--close enough for a lot of Finnish fans to be there and her sponsors would like her visibility in Sweden (remember she went to Japan for Finnair this year even though she wasn't competing). Although that's only one year away from the Olympics and she's one of the more popular foreign skaters in Korea...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    she has passed her prime, and isn't getting any younger
    she is 26 years old something ?

besides there are fresh, young , beautiful girls already who will pass her at Europeans
    Two words: Julia Sebestyen. Never give up on anyone.

As for fresh, young, and beautiful, I think Korpi qualifies for this description. Twenty-six is "old" only in the world of figure skating, but not when it comes to beauty. Korpi doesn't take a back seat to anyone in that department. And her jumps seem pretty solid, too. Go, Kiira, as far as you can take it!

Good news. So long she's happy and feel like competing, go Kiira.

Custom Title
    I think Kiira has a good chance of skating a career best at Worlds, if she reaches her top form. Yes, Russia is very strong, but who outside Russia is beyond her reach? Gold, Wagner, who else? She could finish Top 6 at Worlds and even Top 8 would be a personal best.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pohatta View Post
    I think Kiira has a good chance of skating a career best at Worlds, if she reaches her top form. Yes, Russia is very strong, but who outside Russia is beyond her reach? Gold, Wagner, who else? She could finish Top 6 at Worlds and even Top 8 would be a personal best.
    Zijun
    Edmunds
    Kanako
    Satoko
    even Meite

Custom Title
    I think I'd have to say Kiira is making a comeback to what? She's a beautiful young woman but hasn't exactly torn up the ice in competition. She hasn't had a stellar career to come back to. But more power to her if she can.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I think I'd have to say Kiira is making a comeback to what? She's a beautiful young woman but hasn't exactly torn up the ice in competition. She hasn't had a stellar career to come back to. But more power to her if she can.
    She can come back to her "not so stellar career" whether to make it more stellar, to continue as it was, or just to stake a Finnish presence in FS.

I would like her to have a good comeback even if she doesn't have spectacular results just to bring a bit of class and elegance to the ice in the middle of a teenagers battle as others said, she'll be the only "woman" competing next season, alongside with Wagner... Good luck to one of the most (physically and stylistically) beautiful skaters in the world!

Custom Title
    I still think she has more to offer, plus she's a solid jumper. I don't get the whole "retire once you're 24. you're too old to be skating. you're past your prime" thing. You'd think that more people would like to see older, well-rounded skaters. So good for Kiira for wanting to continue. And it would be wonderful if she could get to Helsinki and skate lights out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    She missed all of last season, but the season before she won a GP event (Rostelecom... where she beat a certain other blonde, if I recall ) and qualified for the GPF and was 3rd at Euros.

In 2008-2009 she opted not to skate in the GP series (I think due to injury) but still competed at Euros where she placed 5th. She's had to miss Worlds due to injury (which is unfortunate because she had a shot to medal in 2012), but she hasn't missed more than one entire season.

If you look at Kiira's competitive record, she also was progressing over time, until she had to sit out 2013-2014. It didn't make sense for her to try to compete in 2014 anyways when Finland didn't have a Sochi spot... might as well rest her Achilles injury.

But an injury doesn't take out a skater necessarily. I mean, look at Slutskaya, who had health issues in her 2003-2004 season at the age of 25, and then stormed back to win everything the next year at the age of 26 and won Euros and Olympic bronze at 27.

I can see why you're so bitter about Kiira though... you always drone on about how people are threatened by beauty, and clearly you've become what you preach against.
    Well Irina was also on another level, but eve if she doesn't get great results, it's always good to see such an elegant skater back on the ice

Custom Title
    Zijun
    Edmunds
    Kanako
    Satoko
    even Meite
    The only one you can legitimately say is beyond her reach is Edmunds, who is technically superior and more consistent. Zijun had an awful showing at Worlds. Meite is inconsistent and doesn't garner the PCS Korpi does. Kanako and Satoko get nailed by URs left right and centre.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Too bad she is also not enough of a decrepit loser to take up disparaging achievers.
    Agreed. Although, I guess some people are threatened by a beautiful, blonde skater, and will say disparaging comments.

Custom Title
    We haven't even seen her skate yet.

Kiira's injury was to her Achilles tendon --- she's had this same injury in the past, and it can be quite painful. The pain tends to recur when strenuous activity is resumed. She hasn't really begun serious practice yet, so it remains to be seen if she will be able to make a successful comeback. She may or may not be able to get back all of her jumps, including the lutz, which she definitely needs to be competitive.

Custom Title
    she has passed her prime, and isn't getting any younger
    she is 26 years old something ?

besides there are fresh, young , beautiful girls already who will pass her at Europeans

But...but...but...

SHE'S BLONDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Nah, you're right. We should take her in back of the rink and just shoot her.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast