Kiira Korpi ready for comeback! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kiira Korpi ready for comeback!

jace93

On the Ice
She missed all of last season, but the season before she won a GP event (Rostelecom... where she beat a certain other blonde, if I recall :biggrin:) and qualified for the GPF and was 3rd at Euros.

In 2008-2009 she opted not to skate in the GP series (I think due to injury) but still competed at Euros where she placed 5th. She's had to miss Worlds due to injury (which is unfortunate because she had a shot to medal in 2012), but she hasn't missed more than one entire season.

If you look at Kiira's competitive record, she also was progressing over time, until she had to sit out 2013-2014. It didn't make sense for her to try to compete in 2014 anyways when Finland didn't have a Sochi spot... might as well rest her Achilles injury.

But an injury doesn't take out a skater necessarily. I mean, look at Slutskaya, who had health issues in her 2003-2004 season at the age of 25, and then stormed back to win everything the next year at the age of 26 and won Euros and Olympic bronze at 27.

I can see why you're so bitter about Kiira though... you always drone on about how people are threatened by beauty, and clearly you've become what you preach against. :laugh:

Well Irina was also on another level, but eve if she doesn't get great results, it's always good to see such an elegant skater back on the ice

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Zijun
Edmunds
Kanako
Satoko
even Meite

The only one you can legitimately say is beyond her reach is Edmunds, who is technically superior and more consistent. Zijun had an awful showing at Worlds. Meite is inconsistent and doesn't garner the PCS Korpi does. Kanako and Satoko get nailed by URs left right and centre.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We haven't even seen her skate yet.

Kiira's injury was to her Achilles tendon --- she's had this same injury in the past, and it can be quite painful. The pain tends to recur when strenuous activity is resumed. She hasn't really begun serious practice yet, so it remains to be seen if she will be able to make a successful comeback. She may or may not be able to get back all of her jumps, including the lutz, which she definitely needs to be competitive.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
she has passed her prime, and isn't getting any younger
she is 26 years old something ?

besides there are fresh, young , beautiful girls already who will pass her at Europeans

But...but...but...

SHE'S BLONDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, you're right. We should take her in back of the rink and just shoot her. :rolleye::sarcasm:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But...but...but...

SHE'S BLONDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, you're right. We should take her in back of the rink and just shoot her. :rolleye::sarcasm:

:laugh: I know, I'm surprised that with her hair colour -- which is actually a NATURAL blonde, unlike certain other skaters - sky_fly hasn't set up 100+ fan threads for Korpi.

Although, she's probably on a mission to bash Korpi, considering the vast majority of the forum most definitely considers Korpi to be more gorgeous than Gracie.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Kiira has a good chance of skating a career best at Worlds, if she reaches her top form. Yes, Russia is very strong, but who outside Russia is beyond her reach? Gold, Wagner, who else? She could finish Top 6 at Worlds and even Top 8 would be a personal best.

3 Russians
3 Americans
Murakami
Miyahara
Park
Marchei

FSGMT

Record Breaker
3 Russians
3 Americans
Murakami
Miyahara
Park
Marchei
These are not "beyond her reach": if she skates a clean SP with 3T+3T and 3Lo and a solid FS with 4/5 clean triples and high PCS she can easily beat Marchei, Miyahara, Park and Murakami, and even come close to some of the Americans (at CoR 2012, she wasn't perfect but she beat Gracie in one of her best competitions that season)... Don't forget that she has arutunian on her side now, and we saw what he was able to do with Wagner and Rippon

Sara

On the Ice
We haven't even seen her skate yet.

Kiira's injury was to her Achilles tendon --- she's had this same injury in the past, and it can be quite painful. The pain tends to recur when strenuous activity is resumed. She hasn't really begun serious practice yet, so it remains to be seen if she will be able to make a successful comeback. She may or may not be able to get back all of her jumps, including the lutz, which she definitely needs to be competitive.

This. I'm quite worried because this type of injuries recur so easily AND she has already had so much trouble with the same foot already earlier in her career.

BusyMom

Medalist
I'm quite surprised so many people are against her. She definitely could be in for a few years if her body still fit enough. The senior scene will be more varieties with her presence. Her maturity, elegant and of course beauty are always a nice change from the teenage crews. I wish her the best results next season.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I would like her to have a good comeback even if she doesn't have spectacular results just to bring a bit of class and elegance to the ice in the middle of a teenagers battle :biggrin: as others said, she'll be the only "woman" competing next season, alongside with Wagner... Good luck to one of the most (physically and stylistically) beautiful skaters in the world! :clap::yes:

What's the definition of a "woman". Aren't Marchei, Meite, V and J Helgesson, van Dale, Glebova, Murakami etc, all of them around 20 years or more, women on the ice?

GO Kiira, I admire you fighting :clap:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These are not "beyond her reach": if she skates a clean SP with 3T+3T and 3Lo and a solid FS with 4/5 clean triples and high PCS she can easily beat Marchei, Miyahara, Park and Murakami, and even come close to some of the Americans (at CoR 2012, she wasn't perfect but she beat Gracie in one of her best competitions that season)... Don't forget that she has arutunian on her side now, and we saw what he was able to do with Wagner and Rippon

Gracie skated a sloppy error filled FS yet still only lost by a couple points and at that point Gracie was a newbie as a Senior in only her second GP and still would have beaten Korpi clean. Korpi has suffered from what lot of non Russian European skaters in the past have and that is watered down jumps compared to what the Russian, US and Japanese Ladies can do.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kiira won't be in the GP, so we will see her first in a "B", possibly Nebelhorn, Nepela or Finlandia, if she is ready. Then Euros and Worlds. I wouldn't make any long-range predictions until we see how far along she is in regaining her technical skills.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Kiira won't be in the GP, so we will see her first in a "B", possibly Nebelhorn, Nepela or Finlandia, if she is ready. Then Euros and Worlds. I wouldn't make any long-range predictions until we see how far along she is in regaining her technical skills.

Would she be able to somehow qualify for a comeback spot? Sorry, the endless rules confuse me

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
This is good news. I thought her ever persisting injury had finally forced her to leave the competitive skating for good. But I am certainly one of those who will be glad to see her come back even if the results won't be that great, because it means being able to watch one more mature and elegant skater among all the youngsters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skaters have to have finished top 6 at Worlds in the last 10 years to qualify as a comeback skater. Kiira's top finish was 9th, so she doesn't qualify.