Kiira Korpi ready for comeback! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kiira Korpi ready for comeback!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
What's the definition of a "woman". Aren't Marchei, Meite, V and J Helgesson, van Dale, Glebova, Murakami etc, all of them around 20 years or more, women on the ice?

GO Kiira, I admire you fighting :clap:
I meant stylistically, and I was talking about really high-level skaters (so I did not include for example McCorkell or Van Daele).. And, of course it applies to Valentina and Viktoria, they're wonderful and mature skaters, too! Meite, Murakami or Joshi still look "girls" in their style and appearance on the ice (this doesn't mean that they have a lot of different beautiful qualities)
(And, Glebova has retired :slink: )

Sara

On the Ice
Kiira told the media today that she's now finally healthy and returns to the US in a few weeks. She had an operation on her achilles tendon in April since it hadn't healed properly. She plans to compete at Nationals in December (at the latest). I guess if she wants to compete at Euros she would need to do a B event next autumn to reach the required minimum TES.

Kiira is going to have a new FP (choreo by Shae-Lynn).

Violetti

On the Ice
I think she is very brave in trying to do this. It would have been so easy to quit skating because of injuries but no. She did a lot to heal herself and she tries to come back. This tells me that she really loves skating. She might have something new to give us as she has a new coach. It does not matter she was not even near to be a world champion. She is one of the best figure skating ladies Finland has ever had. I really hope we will see her next season as there always might be new injuries like last autumn. I hope not this time.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I meant stylistically, and I was talking about really high-level skaters (so I did not include for example McCorkell or Van Daele).. And, of course it applies to Valentina and Viktoria, they're wonderful and mature skaters, too! Meite, Murakami or Joshi still look "girls" in their style and appearance on the ice (this doesn't mean that they have a lot of different beautiful qualities)
(And, Glebova has retired :slink: )

OK FSGMT :) I see there is a thread about it.

So Glebova slinked away. What about Gedevanishvili? Anyway there are a lot of ladies fighting on the 5-10 level.

I think she is very brave in trying to do this. It would have been so easy to quit skating because of injuries but no. She did a lot to heal herself and she tries to come back. This tells me that she really loves skating. She might have something new to give us as she has a new coach. It does not matter she was not even near to be a world champion. She is one of the best figure skating ladies Finland has ever had. I really hope we will see her next season as there always might be new injuries like last autumn. I hope not this time.

Yes, and competing. No more injuries, please!

spikydurian

Medalist

I hope she stay around and skate at the 2017 Worlds in Finland or at least be a guest skater at the Gala. She may not be as competitive as Mao, Yuna and the Russian girls, but she has a nice skating style which I personally like. She's gorgeous looking too.

Alba

Record Breaker
Uhm...I see she has been in treatment to Dr. Müller-Wohlfahrt.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Kiira told the media today that she's now finally healthy and returns to the US in a few weeks. She had an operation on her achilles tendon in April since it hadn't healed properly. She plans to compete at Nationals in December (at the latest). I guess if she wants to compete at Euros she would need to do a B event next autumn to reach the required minimum TES.
Great to hear this. Kiira was always such a graceful skater with a natural expressiveness and charm. 2012-13 looked like it would be a breakthrough season for her, but then came the injuries... :-/ I hope she can pick up where she left off in 2012...

Great to hear this. Kiira was always such a graceful skater with a natural expressiveness and charm. 2012-13 looked like it would be a breakthrough season for her, but then came the injuries... :-/ I hope she can pick up where she left off in 2012...

When a skater such as Korpi returns to the field, my first reaction is that I'm happy to see her for the variety she brings to competition. I'm no good at predicting who will do well (and after this Olympics, I'd feel even less confident about being able to foresee any results), so I just enjoy thinking about the skating itself. Maybe she ends up only in the top five at Europeans, or maybe the constellations align so she wins a medal. Maybe (Heaven forbid) everyone else gets the mumps and bows out after the short program, leaving Korpi to skate to gold. One never can tell. One thing is guaranteed: if she does her best, she'll skate in a way that will delight the audience, including me at home in front of YouTube.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
THe more the merrier I guess. Though I felt she got some pretty generous marks for her PCS especially - she is good but not at the very top level. One wonders though if she has the jumps? OF course she is gorgeous but that is not everything. Comebacks are not easy with the exception of maybe Yuna Kim and 2010 return of Plushenko. Still she may have enough clout and skill to hold off a weak Finnish team.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This. I'm quite worried because this type of injuries recur so easily AND she has already had so much trouble with the same foot already earlier in her career.
Can one truly say she had the lutz? Theinjuries are debilitating. But one can hope

thom

Rinkside
Let's just see where this goes, kittens. It's that classic adage of, "If she wants to skate, let her. If she's happy with her comeback, SO ARE WE."

pohatta

On the Ice
Most of the time she skates better than goldenskaters expect. In 2012 GP predictions almost no one mentioned her and even fewer named her as a potential GP finalist. When she finished 3rd and 1st, it was because of her "typical beauty PCS". If it's so typical, why was it so difficult to predict?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Most of the time she skates better than goldenskaters expect. In 2012 GP predictions almost no one mentioned her and even fewer named her as a potential GP finalist. When she finished 3rd and 1st, it was because of her "typical beauty PCS". If it's so typical, why was it so difficult to predict?

That season was a combination of doing well and having her competitors bomb, and not beauty related. Her CoR win for example had 5 triples (including 3T-3T) but also had a UR fall, and a double... however, Gold lipped and doubled two triples herself, so Kiira edged her out. At CoC where she got bronze, she did 4 triples (including 3T-3T) but popped two, but fortunately for her, Mirai royally bombed. I do think it's kinda lame though that she received 60ish points for short programs with a 3T+2T, 3L, 2A.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
a 3T-3T won be competitive for 26 year old Korpii
I see Jenni Saarin pasing Korpi, Jenni has better technical arsnal, fresh, young, promising skater for Finland

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's just see where this goes, kittens. It's that classic adage of, "If she wants to skate, let her. If she's happy with her comeback, SO ARE WE."

Agree. If every skater had to meet the high standard that at least one poster seems to be using, of always being in competition for a gold medal, there would only be around five skaters in each competition! Kiira is the number-one ladies skater in Finland and has done well on the Grand Prix circuit. If Laura Lepisto could win a World bronze, why would anyone think Kiira couldn't, too?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Also lame. 66 points is enough to lead most competitions after the SP. You get junior skaters doing 3Z+3T, 3F, 2A scoring much less.
Oh, I hadn't realised that only the jumps score points, or that how well you do those jumps counts for nothing -_-