Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alissa Czisny retires from competition

Alissa Czisny retires from competition

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/06/19/80427076
    Icenetwork: In January, after your withdrawal from the 2014 Midwestern sectionals, you said that the future is still uncertain to you, adding that you definitely want to continue skating through performing in shows. Has your attitude changed at all?
    Czisny: After withdrawing from this qualifying season, I still entertained the idea that I could possibly compete next season, should I regain my full capabilities and improve beyond that. However, given the increasingly difficult requirements of amateur competition (and the fact that I'm now considered "old" for a skater), I feel that it is best for me to pursue skating in a different direction. I still love the sport, and I still love skating and performing. I am sad that I won't be competing any longer -- as it's been a part of my life since I was very young -- but I'm looking forward to the new opportunities in my skating career and in other avenues of life!
    Not a huge surprise, but this makes it official, basically.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 06-19-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Custom Title
    It is defiantly the end of an era with Kostner saying she's sitting out this season which is basically a retirement and now Alissa retiring and Mao sitting out and Yuna, Akiko and Miki also retiring. It's now the new guards turn.

Custom Title
    Well spoken. I didn't realize her family lived in California.

Custom Title
    I think the heartbreak of missing two Olympic squads in a row, when she was the defending national champion in one and had a lot of potential in the second (despite her injuries) was too big a a burden to carry. She's a beautiful skater, I hope she finds success with her next endeavour!

Thank you Alyssa, take a bow!

Rinkside
    A beautiful skater and a beautiful human being. I'll miss her.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    I think the heartbreak of missing two Olympic squads in a row, when she was the defending national champion in one and had a lot of potential in the second (despite her injuries) was too big a a burden to carry.
    Realistically she was never going to go beyond 2014. It was already a big effort for her to even try and stay in for 2014 (even had she not had her significant injuries, which made it all the more difficult). I doubt if she made the 2010 team she would have even stuck around for 2014, but not making that team, having a great 2010-2011 season and a good start to the 2011-2012 season, and the U.S having 3 spots for 2014, was the only carrot that kept her in until now.

I have always liked Alyssa. I wish her all the luck and happiness in her future endeavors. I think it is time.

Quote Originally Posted by gregprentiss View Post
    A beautiful skater and a beautiful human being. I'll miss her.
    I second that emotion.

Welcome, gregprentiss. Thanks for joining us. Post ofter, post long!

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Not at all surprised. I'll miss her and am sorry that injuries forced her out before she felt in her heart she was ready to go. She brought suck a special elegance to the sport, and exits with some pretty impressive accomplishments. I'm sure she'll succeed with flying colors at whatever she puts her efforts into next.

Good luck to Alissa! Beautiful skater and a lovely person!

Banned
    her injuries and bad jump techniques were a fatal combination
    her elegance on the ice will be missed

Custom Title
    I will also miss her but think that she made the right choice considering her physical condition. As Sky says, her bad jump techniques combine with the injuries (and probably helped aggravate them) to make it a bad idea for her to continue. Maybe she'll skate in shows or in other pro venues. What a gracious presence on the ice.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    I think the heartbreak of missing two Olympic squads in a row, when she was the defending national champion in one and had a lot of potential in the second (despite her injuries) was too big a a burden to carry. She's a beautiful skater, I hope she finds success with her next endeavour!

Thank you Alyssa, take a bow!
    Not only 2010 and 2014, but 2006. With 3 spots and Kwan out with injury, a spot was there for the taking for Czisny, who had just won a gold and a silver on the GP, and was the only American woman to make the GPF that season. Sadly, she had a bad nationals.

Good to hear that she's still planning on doing show skating!

Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    Not at all surprised. I'll miss her and am sorry that injuries forced her out before she felt in her heart she was ready to go. She brought such a special elegance to the sport, and exits with some pretty impressive accomplishments. I'm sure she'll succeed with flying colors at whatever she puts her efforts into next.
    I will miss her competitively, but hope she gets to do lots of shows. A lovely, thoughtful person, with spins to die for!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast