Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 182

Thread: Medal Contenders (Favorites) For 2018 PyeonChang Olympics

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    334
    Mao's jumps are not getting any bigger. If she continues (after taking this season off) she is going to be like the Japanese Ashley Wagner.

    Random comment: Does anyone notice how Gracie Gold has like no knee bend on her jumps? Where is her knee bend? She's like a barbie doll who's leg joints only pivot to an obtuse angle.

  2. #62
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    56
    I just think it will be very difficult some russian lady win gold.
    Pairs and Dance I have no idea.
    Men: Yuzuru, Javi and maybe Nam or Pitkeev?

  3. #63
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Frankly I think any Japanese skater, man or lady, will have to skate their heart out just to have a little (a very little) chance on the bronze only. Silver or gold? I am not that optimistic. Remember the hatred for Japan would never die out in Korea. anyways it's just my thoughts, doesn't mean it's true.

    I am just curious if any Russian lady will receive the same amount of dislikeness. Russian men? I am not sure. The Koreans might not care much about Kovtun, but...who knows. wait... Kovtun is very close with Adelina. and he's Tarasova's student. Not good for him.
    Yeah, pretty much. Hatred for Japan runs way deeper than hatred for Russia. I'm not sure if the latter will still be severe by 2018, especially if Korea doesn't have their own candidate in a certain discipline (likely for everything outside of ladies). More like "hatred for Sotnikova." The one thing Mao has going for her (just Mao, not any other Japanese skater) is that she may have earned a little bit of grudging respect from Korea. While some of them will only see her as "that Japanese girl Queen Yuna beat in Vancouver," others may not hate her nearly as much as Adelina, since they think, "If somebody is going to beat our Queen, at least let it be Mao and not some 'nobody.'" Note that I stand by my point: Mao will have a uphill battle skating in Korea. But she could fare better than Adelina (doesn't mean she'll necessarily fare better than Yulia/Radionova/Pogo/whoever).

    Lol, if your second paragraph is true, then Pitkeev/Petrov (or Voronov/Plush if they're still around ) will have better chances than Kovtun.

  4. #64
    Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by loiza View Post
    I just think it will be very difficult some russian lady win gold.
    Pairs and Dance I have no idea.
    Men: Yuzuru, Javi and maybe Nam or Pitkeev?
    Yuzuru is Japanese, remember? He will have little chance in Korea. Bronze might be generous for him.

    Javi might be too old by that time.

    Nam is Orser's student. Sorry, remember the fiasco between Yuna and Orser? Still, it's too early to say anything because he is just 16.

    Pitkeev is still Russian, and I am not sure any Korean would like to see a Russian on top of the podium, regardless of that being men or lady. But I can't tell for sure if they dislike Russian that much. And frankly he is just 16 so I can't say anything beforehand. We will have to wait and see.

    Anways, things seem to be not good for Kovtun. For his coach is Tarasova and he is pretty close with Adelina.

    Ps: just my funny thought, doesn't mean it's true.

  5. #65
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Yuzuru is Japanese, remember? He will have little chance in Korea. Bronze might be generous for him.

    Javi might be too old by that time.

    Nam is Orser's student. Sorry, remember the fiasco between Yuna and Orser? Still, it's too early to say anything because he is just 16.

    Pitkeev is still Russian, and I am not sure any Korean would like to see a Russian on top of the podium, regardless of that being men or lady. But I can't tell for sure if they dislike Russian that much. And frankly he is just 16 so I can't say anything beforehand. We will have to wait and see.

    Anways, things seem to be not good for Kovtun. For his coach is Tarasova and he is pretty close with Adelina.

    Ps: just my funny thought, doesn't mean it's true.
    I do not think what happened to Yuna and Orser, will harm their students.
    And the rest is just guesses, since it is still too early to more realistic predictions.

  6. #66
    Ice is slippery.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    381
    Nam is Canadian, and is coach by another Canadian....the curse runs deep there.

    Based on the comments here, it seems like "Koreavengence" will knock all the top contenders off the podium and both the ladies and men will have 3 mid-teir skaters winning the Olympics.

    Well that would certainly be entertaining to watch

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Hardly. Her PCS would be amongst the highest of the field regardless how she jumps, and she is attempting jump layouts far harder than practically any other women even if she makes mistakes. Her spirals and spins are probably the best in the world (other than Julia in spins probably). She also has full support as Japanese #1 until something truly great comes along (which hasnt yet), and if she is struggling somewhat at the same time. None of this is true of Ashley.
    But all the female skaters currently coming up have 4 years to build up their reputations, and be anointed as "the next" Yuna Kim's and Mao Asada's. And Mao can barely land that 3A anymore. It is great that she does the 3F+3Lo, but the field is only going to get deeper technically. Did you see Polina Edmunds' layout at Sochi? She has a triple-triple, and a triple-single-triple combination.

  8. #68
    On hiatus
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by loiza View Post
    I do not think what happened to Yuna and Orser, will harm their students.
    And the rest is just guesses, since it is still too early to more realistic predictions.
    I definitely agree with your first statement. I even searched about it in her fan forums (English and Korean), and it seems that Orser is respected in S. Korea due to his works with Yuna. On another note, yes they can dislike him for the breakup but it would be thoughtless for them to not give him the respect he deserves for helping her achieve what she wanted. Besides, I don't remember anyone in S. Korea "hating" Orser in Junior Worlds 2011.

  9. #69
    Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny_stars View Post
    I definitely agree with your first statement. I even searched about it in her fan forums (English and Korean), and it seems that Orser is respected in S. Korea due to his works with Yuna. On another note, yes they can dislike him for the breakup but it would be thoughtless for them to not give him the respect he deserves for helping her achieve what she wanted.
    Thank you for the information.
    Then I'd say Canada and China and US all have better chances than Japan and Russia, especially Japan.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    59
    I think in all honesty, South Korea rather see Mao get her Olympic Gold medal because they already have what they wanted to achieve, which was for Yuna to win Vancouver 2010 Gold Medal, as it was her wish as well. Their rival was a beautiful story, and I think many South Koreans feel sentimental about that as well. Yes they understand that it was hard for Yuna to come where she is today because of her weak federation, and Mao had her own ice rink, sponsors advantage, etc., but I think they truly respect and like Mao as a person. It's like almost seeing your daughter's friend growing up together. But that's for the South Korean fans, but if you are talking about the federations, then of course the South Korea Federation sure would not like to see a Japanese flag hovering over a Korean flag. What I'm saying is that Koreans are classy and don't blatantly do things like the Russian Federation or even people for that matter. It's all about having a mutual respect, and I think Mao can get that in 2018 if she does her best.

  11. #71
    Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by chalk5 View Post
    I think in all honesty, South Korea rather see Mao get her Olympic Gold medal because they already have what they wanted to achieve, which was for Yuna to win Vancouver 2010 Gold Medal, as it was her wish as well. Their rival was a beautiful story, and I think many South Koreans feel sentimental about that as well. Yes they understand that it was hard for Yuna to come where she is today because of her weak federation, and Mao had her own ice rink, sponsors advantage, etc., but I think they truly respect and like Mao as a person. It's like almost seeing your daughter's friend growing up together. But that's for the South Korean fans, but if you are talking about the federations, then of course the South Korea Federation sure would not like to see a Japanese flag hovering over a Korean flag. What I'm saying is that Koreans are classy and don't blatantly do things like the Russian Federation or even people for that matter. It's all about having a mutual respect, and I think Mao can get that in 2018 if she does her best.
    1) for sure many Korean fans are classy. I have made friends with some of them on Instagram and I can see their warmness towards all skaters, regardless of their nationalities. they are very cute and supportive.

    2) but as you say, the Korean fed wouldn't like to see Japan flag on the podium. That is very likely. So I am not optimistic about the chances of Japanese skaters getting gold or silver medal. Bronze might be already generous.
    Well, it's politicking, it's not the fans' wishes. We all know that. The problem of this sport is, all the federations have different ideas to the fans

    3) same thing might be applied to the Russian girls. I am very curious if Korean fed would rather let a Japanese girl on the podium than Adelina Sonitkova or any of Tarasova's students?
    As for the Russian men, I am not sure how much dislikeness they will get from Korean fed, though. Maybe Korean fed will not care too much, but who knows.

    4) I don't think Mao will continue to 2018, though. She doesn't seem to show much motivation at this point.

    Last but not least, It's just my wistful thinking about the politicking of the federations. We all know how dubious all the feds are. But that doesn't mean it will happen that way. Things might be much much better than Sochi.

    The actual fans of figure skating, are in fact, very supportive of all skaters, regardless of their nationalities. It's all the feds I am worried about.

  12. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    334
    Mao got her world record. She is the only woman under the IJS to have a clean 3A. That is her legacy. If any woman wants to set the new standard for skating they will have her record to contend with.

  13. #73
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,428
    Quote Originally Posted by chalk5 View Post
    What I'm saying is that Koreans are classy and don't blatantly do things like the Russian Federation or even people for that matter.
    Oh yes, bombarding a 17 year old with death threats because she dared to beat their skater is SOOOOOOOOOO classy.

  14. #74
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    618
    Good job at extrapolating a subset of crazy fans to be indicative of all Koreans.

  15. #75
    Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Oh yes, bombarding a 17 year old with death threats because she dared to beat their skater is SOOOOOOOOOO classy.
    Those people who sent death threats are not true fans of figure skating, you can see it that way.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •