Central Ontario Summerskate 2014 - Thornhill ON | Golden Skate

Central Ontario Summerskate 2014 - Thornhill ON

Scout

Final Flight
Did some research (aka checked Wikipedia) and she has competed at an Eastern Sectionals qualifying type competition in Japan for the last three years, but failed to make it to Nationals. I also believe she's been training in Richmond Hill, Canada, so it would be a summer competition that is very close. She'll be turning 34 years old in December - power to her! :)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Now that I'm hearing that Fumie Suguri is going I'm actually considering going since I live very close to Thornhill

emdee

Final Flight
Fumie was on the list last year but didnt show.
I hope she is there this year.

Any new additions to the previous list?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Starting orders / Results: http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/Summer Skate 2014/index.htm

Event schedule (all times Eastern): http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/Summer Skate 2014/Summer Skate Schedule.pdf

Live stream link (West Arena): http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cos-summer-skate-2014-west-arena
(Note: The live stream hasn't been archived in the past.)

Thx, Sylvia. :)

Event schedule link that works:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So, 3T+3T and 3F for Daleman? Very strange layout, especially because her lutz was better than her flip last year :think: Anyway, as long as she lands it, that's all! :biggrin:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I was at the event yesterday, so I'll share a few things.

In the Junior Dance event, Lauren Collins & Shane Firus were major standouts. I believe they've only been together for four months, but they looked like a seasoned team, confident and powerful. Their combination lift just floated. I was very, very impressed. Wouldn't be surprised to see them get a second JGP event. Mackenzie Bent & Garrett MacKeen were scheduled to compete but pulled out. I hope they're OK.

In Senior Ladies, Gabby Daleman's SP was dynamite. Her jumps were massive and beautifully executed. She also seemed calmer, more elegant and more refined than last season. Seriously, we couldn't keep our eyes off of her. I was very pleased to see that Alaine Chartrand was skating, and that she has done away the awful 60's inspired SP she did at Skate Detroit a few weeks back. This SP suited her much, much better. She struggled with a couple of elements, which is understandable with such a new program, but the overall effect was lovely. She has also improved in control, power and elegance. I was very impressed. Unfortunately, Fumie Suguri looked very rough. It wasn't just the jumps. All of the elements looked laboured.

The Senior Men's event was fantastic! I barely recognized Andrei Rogozine. He was fast, controlled and conditioned. He got through the program without looking winded, which is a huge improvement for him. You can tell that training at altitude has helped him immensely (he moved to Colorado to train with Kristy Krall). His jumps looked more powerful as well, and he was actually moving his arms and listening to his music. He landed a beautiful quad, a triple axel and a triple triple combo. As for Liam Firus, I could just watch him skate all day. His skating skills are above and beyond anyone else's. He covered the ice so quickly and powerfully, and his edges were deep and beautiful. It was mesmerizing to watch. Unfortunately, he only landed a double axel, so he fell behind Rogozine overall. Nam Nguyen went for a different, more mature look this season, which I really liked. His SP was much more choreographically intricate than usual for him, and the footwork sequence in particular was divine, and though his execution is still lacking a bit, I can see this program getting very good by the end of the season. He popped his triple axel, though, which is why his score was low. I also enjoyed Roman Sadovsky. He feels the music like crazy, and has a great presence. Unfortunately, his jumps were off last night, so he didn't score well. Still, he's definitely one to watch.

KittyKins

Rinkside
I thought the Senior Men's event was fantastic. Good for Nam, whoohoo! He was impressive as usual.

In the Junior event, Jarret Melanson was really great, finishing 2nd in the FS after being 6th in the SP, finishing 4th overall. I know his mother, so I'm majorly disappointed that I was not able to watch the live streaming of that event. Has anyone recorded the live stream? I was hoping to view and save both of his programs. Please PM me if you know how I can at least see his FS. Thanks.

I do really appreciate the fact that there's been live streaming, but it's disappointing we can't view recordings of the programs like some other years. I didn't watch the live streaming last year, so perhaps the rules were the same then, I dunno.

emdee

Final Flight
How did Roman do in the FS?
What were the final standings in the mens?

I watched some of the short programs. Loved Gabby's program. Her experiences of last year have allowed her to grow immensely. She needs more refinement but her on ice gutsy personality is a delight. She is a powerful skater in some ways like Joanie.