Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Summer Championships 2014 - Liberty

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    A poster at FSU posted entries for senior and junior men and ladies here. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...19#post4286970 It is in the subscription only part of that forum. Ross Miner is signed up for both SP and LP. Polina Shelepen is skating.
    Has anyone ever gone to this? I would really like to go as it is not that far from me.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I have gone several times, when there were skaters that I was interested in competing. Rink 2 is where most of the Junior & Senior events are held. It used to be that a really good group of skaters competed there-Patrick Chan, Rachael Flatt, Ashley Wagner, Ross Miner, Rohene Ward, Emily Hughes, Castelli & Shnapir, etc

However, last year the most notable competitor was Keegan Messing in senior men.

I don't know why the competition is less popular with skaters than it was, but that's how it is. This year the itneresting part will be looking at the Juniors for new up and coming skaters, and the Israeli skating team, and Ross Miner.

The good part is that there is no charge to attend, and the rink food is edible.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I have gone several times, when there were skaters that I was interested in competing. Rink 2 is where most of the Junior & Senior events are held. It used to be that a really good group of skaters competed there-Patrick Chan, Rachael Flatt, Ashley Wagner, Ross Miner, Rohene Ward, Emily Hughes, Castelli & Shnapir, etc However, last year the most notable competitor was Keegan Messing in senior men. I don't know why the competition is less popular with skaters than it was, but that's how it is. This year the itneresting part will be looking at the Juniors for new up and coming skaters, and the Israeli skating team, and Ross Miner. The good part is that there is no charge to attend, and the rink food is edible.
    Thanks for the info! I am going to go.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    Thanks for the info! I am going to go.
    Bring a cushion to sit on, as the bleachers are cold and hard. Also, be sure to have extra clothing to pull on, and perhaps a blanket; the rink can be very cold even when it is warm outside. (There are space heaters hanging from the ceiling in Rink 2 that are activated by feeding quarters into a box on the wall; have some change ready.)

For a number of years, the "main events" were the junior competitions; then more recently prominent senior skaters began to compete here as Doris mentioned (many of them had previously competed as juniors), but that changed last year for some reason. It should still be a worthwhile event, especially if you live close enough to "commute" to the rink.

Quote Originally Posted by RUKen View Post
    Bring a cushion to sit on, as the bleachers are cold and hard. Also, be sure to have extra clothing to pull on, and perhaps a blanket; the rink can be very cold even when it is warm outside. (There are space heaters hanging from the ceiling in Rink 2 that are activated by feeding quarters into a box on the wall; have some change ready.) For a number of years, the "main events" were the junior competitions; then more recently prominent senior skaters began to compete here as Doris mentioned (many of them had previously competed as juniors), but that changed last year for some reason. It should still be a worthwhile event, especially if you live close enough to "commute" to the rink.
    Thanks for the advice about the bleachers. I will definitely take it. I am right outside of Philadelphia so it shouldn't be a long trip. Because of work I can do the Saturday/Sunday events which I think are the Junior/Senior events.

I would love a report on Ross Miner! I know some don't care for Ross...think he is dull or something...but I really like him. Loved his FS last year. I'm really hoping he has found his 3A and is having more success with a quad.

Thanks for any and all reports.

skating philosopher
    I'm definitely in that minority. I think Ross' skill is underrated. I liked his FS last year too. Hoping for better things this season!

Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    I would love a report on Ross Miner! I know some don't care for Ross...think he is dull or something...but I really like him. Loved his FS last year. I'm really hoping he has found his 3A and is having more success with a quad. Thanks for any and all reports.
    I am definitely going to repay the favor in all the updates this forum gives me I am going to try and update live. Hopefully I'm ok at it.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    Thanks for the advice about the bleachers. I will definitely take it. I am right outside of Philadelphia so it shouldn't be a long trip. Because of work I can do the Saturday/Sunday events which I think are the Junior/Senior events.
    There are no Sunday events; it wraps up on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by RUKen View Post
    There are no Sunday events; it wraps up on Saturday.
    Sorry I read the schedule wrong:(

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    I would love a report on Ross Miner! I know some don't care for Ross...think he is dull or something...but I really like him. Loved his FS last year. I'm really hoping he has found his 3A and is having more success with a quad.

Thanks for any and all reports.
    Yes I agree! I am curious to see what his music selections are this year, given that so much focus was put on his "Boston Strong" program last year. I wonder if he will keep his same short program from last year. I'm thinking no, as even though it was a classic, well choreographed program, he never skated it cleanly. I wish for a better season for him this year!

We're going from Wednesday to Saturday! I am so glad that Ross Miner will be back there this season. I'm hoping for Samantha Caesario, and Ashley Cain is a joy to watch. I hope Keegan Messing will be there, along with Emanuel Savary. The rink food is quite decent (lots of healthy choices available - the rice bowl selections). Absolutely dress warm - the rink is the coldest rink we've ever been in. We wear pants, long sleeves, fleece, bring blankets, and seat cushion/stadium seats (and change back to shorts after each day's competition).

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    We're going from Wednesday to Saturday! I am so glad that Ross Miner will be back there this season. I'm hoping for Samantha Caesario, and Ashley Cain is a joy to watch. I hope Keegan Messing will be there, along with Emanuel Savary. The rink food is quite decent (lots of healthy choices available - the rice bowl selections). Absolutely dress warm - the rink is the coldest rink we've ever been in. We wear pants, long sleeves, fleece, bring blankets, and seat cushion/stadium seats (and change back to shorts after each day's competition).
    Keegan is not doing any summer comps this summer; he is dealing with an injury.

Rinkside
    I def will be excited to see what Ross has planned for this season. Ill be checking in for updates.
    Mens SP seems to be on Thurs night followed by FS on Friday.
    Have fun to everyone going and hope you can share some reports.

Rinkside
    Does anyone know if results are being announced anywhere online

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast