Sun Valley Shows Lineups Are Announced | Golden Skate

Sun Valley Shows Lineups Are Announced

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sun Valley's summer ice shows will return again this year.
http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2007151647#.U5wuDn_D8v4
Gracie Gold is the headliner for the July 4th show.
Sun Valley Resort has announced the first headliners on the 2014 summer schedule for the Sun Valley on Ice shows—and the schedule features some prominent Americans from the recent Sochi Winter Olympics.
Foremost is the Olympic gold medalist ice dancing team of Meryl Davis and Charlie White, scheduled for the Aug. 23 show.
Reigning national champion Gracie Gold headlines the July 4 Independence Day show, and 2012-13 national queen Ashley Wagner is due back Aug. 9.
Also due to perform this summer, at the Aug. 30 and Sept. 7 shows, is 2010 Olympic men’s singles gold medalist Evan Lysacek, 28, from Illinois. The two-time Olympian won the 2009 world title and was national men’s gold medalist in 2007-08.
The series of nine Sun Valley on Ice performances runs from July 4 through Sept. 7, every show on Saturday evenings except for the Friday, July 4 holiday opener and the Sunday, Sept. 7 Labor Day season finale.

Ticket sales have already begun.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Joshua Farris and Alyssa Czsiny (sp?) are in the July 26th show.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The almost-complete* list of this summer's skaters is on the Sun Valley website. (Maybe the link does not belong in The Edge b/c it is commercial ... just look for the SV page on ice shows.)

Also not included in the newspaper article:
- Jason Brown also will perform on July 4 (as will Nathan Chen, who will appear in a total of three SV shows this summer).
- Other big names over the course of the summer: Ryan Bradley, Mirai Nagasu, Johnny Weir.​

(*The Aug 2 cast is TBD at this point, so the list is not quite complete.)
ETA, update (courtesy of flutzy): Zhang/Bartholomay :) will perform on Aug 2. https://twitter.com/sunvalley/status/477843031081492480
ETA, update #2 (as of Jul 2): Although Z/B's names once had been added to the SV website for Aug 2, now they have disappeared. :think:​

"Core skaters - Craig Heath, Ashley Clark, Darlin Baker, Jozef Sabovcik, Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre, Anita Hartshorn & Frank Sweiding, Natalia Zaitseva & Jonathan Hunt, Ryan Bradley, Erin Reed and Jason Graetz."
Bradley is the headliner on July 12, but I guess he will appear also as part of the ensemble at every show???​

flutzy13

On the Ice
The almost-complete* list of this summer's skaters is on the Sun Valley website. (Maybe the link does not belong in The Edge b/c it is commercial ... just look for the SV page on ice shows.)

Also not included in the newspaper article:
- Jason Brown also will perform on July 4 (as will Nathan Chen, who will appear in a total of three SV shows this summer).
- Other big names over the course of the summer: Ryan Bradley, Mirai Nagasu, Johnny Weir.​

(*The Aug 2 cast is TBD at this point, so the list is not quite complete.)

"Core skaters - Craig Heath, Ashley Clark, Darlin Baker, Jozef Sabovcik, Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre, Anita Hartshorn & Frank Sweiding, Natalia Zaitseva & Jonathan Hunt, Ryan Bradley, Erin Reed and Jason Graetz."
Bradley is the headliner on July 12, but I guess he will appear also as part of the ensemble at every show???​

Felicia Zhang and Nathan Bartholomay are headlining the 8/2 show

That's great to hear. What a charming pair. Now I imagine they're the front-runners for the U.S., so the exposure and the performance practice will be great for them. Just the thought of them makes me smile. When I read this post, I immediately Googled the photos of that lift from Nationals where Zhang seemed to be floating in midair, embracing the experience.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thx for the good news, flutzy. I'm glad that Zhang/Bartholomay are getting the recognition. :cool: [I've updated my post above accordingly.]

flutzy13

On the Ice
That's great to hear. What a charming pair. Now I imagine they're the front-runners for the U.S., so the exposure and the performance practice will be great for them. Just the thought of them makes me smile. When I read this post, I immediately Googled the photos of that lift from Nationals where Zhang seemed to be floating in midair, embracing the experience.

Charming is the perfect word for them. I was inciredibly lucky to have seen their Les Mis live in Boston and until Jason Brown, that above any other performance (even Meryl & Charlie) was THE magical moment of Boston 2014 for me. I was sad they weren't included in SOI so I'm glad they're getting this opportunity in Sun Valley and hopefully more will follow.

All that said, I'm not sure they're automatically in line front-runners for the US title. That battle will be interesting- even moreso than thos year. You have Z/B who are lovely and consistent and kind of de facto US #1 by virtue of the C/S split. You have Scimeca/Knierim who have some bigger, more exciting elements, were considered above Z/B until Nationals and are likely very hungry to get back on a World team and maybe have the highest ceiling of all the pairs but struggled last season with his injury and under pressure. Its still unclear if Denney/Coughlin are coming back. Then there's Kayne/O'Shea who are young with gorgeous lines, good elements and she's really the only pair girl who rivals Castelli in terms of star quality. And then there's Leng/Shnapir and possibly Castelli/Tran who are essentially question marks but will be expected to be relevant. I really have no idea how it will shake out in Greensboro. I do think Zhang/Bartholomay's consistency under pressure (especially at Nationals for 2 years now) will continue to take them further than some people expect.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And you shouldn't forget 2013 Jr. Worlds champions Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier, who are very good.

Charming is the perfect word for them. I was inciredibly lucky to have seen their Les Mis live in Boston and until Jason Brown, that above any other performance (even Meryl & Charlie) was THE magical moment of Boston 2014 for me. I was sad they weren't included in SOI so I'm glad they're getting this opportunity in Sun Valley and hopefully more will follow.

All that said, I'm not sure they're automatically in line front-runners for the US title. That battle will be interesting- even moreso than thos year. You have Z/B who are lovely and consistent and kind of de facto US #1 by virtue of the C/S split. You have Scimeca/Knierim who have some bigger, more exciting elements, were considered above Z/B until Nationals and are likely very hungry to get back on a World team and maybe have the highest ceiling of all the pairs but struggle under pressure. Its still unclear if Denney/Coughlin are coming back. Then there's Kayne/O'Shea who are young with gorgeous lines, good elements and she's really the only pair girl who rivals Castelli in terms of star quality. And then there's Leng/Shnapir and possibly Castelli/Tran. I really have no idea how it will shake out in Greensboro. I do think Zhang/Bartholomay's consistency under pressure (especially at Nationals for 2 years now) will continue to take them further than some people expect.

Thanks very much for the information about the other pairs! I haven't really been following pairs lately, so I was speaking entirely from guesswork. I appreciate the enlightenment you've provided. You've given me a lot to look forward to this season.

How lucky for you that you actually saw Zhang/Bartholmay's performance. It must have been so exhilarating. I am definitely jealous.

flutzy13

On the Ice
And you shouldn't forget 2013 Jr. Worlds champions Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier, who are very good.

They are very good and I can't believe I forgot them. Their FS at Nationals was wonderful and IMO they probably be deserved to be a bit higher in that segment. Had their SP been a bit better, they would have been on the podium and they'll certainly be in the mix.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I loved Denney & Frazier's lp at nationals, and yes I agree that it deserved to be scored higher!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Update:
Although Zhang/Bartholomay's names once had been added to the SV website for Aug 2, now they have disappeared. :think:

flutzy13

On the Ice
Update:
Although Zhang/Bartholomay's names once had been added to the SV website for Aug 2, now they have disappeared. :think:

Anyone know why? I'm kind of worried- we've heard nothing from them on programs etc. hoping no one is injured or anything like that!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Anyone know why? I'm kind of worried- we've heard nothing from them on programs etc. hoping no one is injured or anything like that!

Re Zhang/Bartholamay:
I see unconfirmed chatter over at FSU today re the possibility that Z/B have split. No official announcement, and I have no idea whether the rumor is true. Hope not. But if it is true, it would explain why their names vanished from the Sun Valley schedule.​

Sequinedream

Match Penalty
I hope they haven't broken up and I hope neither of them is injured. They are my favorite pairs team!