Helsinki will host 2017 Worlds | Golden Skate

Helsinki will host 2017 Worlds

Meoima

Match Penalty
I've heard someone said Helsinki got the 2017 Worlds. Still waiting for some news but I think it's official. :biggrin:

YLFan

Match Penalty
No I live in America. Just am a big fan of the Rus team. I know for them this will be convenient.

pohatta

On the Ice
The last Worlds in Helsinki (1999) was a great event. Almost the first thing I saw when I stepped into the building was the astonishingly tiny Stefan Lindemann walking by. And the best thing I saw was of course Lucinda Ruh's spins.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
does this mean Korpii will stick around till 2017 ? :eek:hwell:
they should promote the upcomer and promising junior like Jenni Saarinen

pohatta

On the Ice
does this mean Korpii will stick around till 2017 ? :eek:hwell:
they should promote the upcomer and promising junior like Jenni Saarinen

If Finland wants more spots for 2017, I think Korpi is our best asset. Saarinen is a promising skater, but Top 10 at 2016 Worlds? I guess it's possible.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I've heard someone said Helsinki got the 2017 Worlds. Still waiting for some news but I think it's official. :biggrin:

Within the last few hours, Kokko and Lepisto each have said basically the same via Twitter .. so the information seems reliable.
ETA:
Furthermore, @ssusu -- i.e., Rahkamo, who is president of the Finnish fed -- has retweeted their tweets. I would take her retweeting as official confirmation.​

Petri Kokko ‏@coccco
Finland to host the 2017 World Figure #Skating championships! Congrats @SkatingFinland and @ssusu !
3:48 AM - 14 Jun 2014
https://twitter.com/coccco/status/477764483998183424

@LauraLepisto
BOOM!! World FS Championships 2017 in HELSINKI FINLAND!!! So excited and already proud of our little country,turning 100 years that year!🎉😍👍
4:05 AM - 14 Jun 2014
https://twitter.com/LauraLepisto/status/477768891792629760

ETA, update:

ETA, Jun 14 announcement on Finnish fed's site:
http://www.stll.fi/?x2126=4668411 (in Finnish)
Dates are Mar 29 - Apr 2, 2017.​

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Of course, I'm disappointed that it will not be in Glasgow.

But, at least with it being in Helsinki, the crowd will have at least one local skater to cheer on. ;) :biggrin:

As for the Kiira or Jenni debate that sky_fly has started, who is to say that they will not both be competing at a high level come 2017?!

If they stay injury free, they are both capable of it. ;) :biggrin:

Any promising Finnish skaters on the horizon in the other categories?

CaroLiza_fan

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Kiira can manage a top 10 at Worlds, and Saarinen if she develops well can be a solid 2nd choice. This is great and should really spur Kiira's comeback and drive her.

Sara

On the Ice
I think Kiira can manage a top 10 at Worlds, and Saarinen if she develops well can be a solid 2nd choice. This is great and should really spur Kiira's comeback and drive her.

True! Interesting that these two skaters actually trained together for the past ~5 years before Kiira moved abroad.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

What if Finland invests and gets three skaters at worlds in Helsinki :) There is actually pretty good material... 3 years to go....

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Maybe also Turkkila will be better in coming season, since she has successfully graduated from the school. Unless of course if she starts studies in the university...

Big Deal

Final Flight
I'm happy. Finns know very well how to organize large events in many different disciplines.

Violetti

On the Ice
Will basically be a home event for Russia.

Terrible to hear for a Finn especially as we will celebrate 100 years of independence in 2017 and we are not Russians.
:rolleye:

But all are welcome and it will be interesting to see who will be skating there. Who will be trying to get a spot/spots for their country for the Olympics 2018.

jChamp

Rinkside
I'm fine with it. Will basically be a home event for Russia.

Terrible to hear for a Finn especially as we will celebrate 100 years of independence in 2017 and we are not Russians.

But all are welcome and it will be interesting to see who will be skating there. Who will be trying to get a spot/spots for their country for the Olympics 2018.

I was going to say the same - I hope they meant in proximity only. After only a year here, I can promise that Helsinki is NOT an extension of Russia.

Sara

On the Ice

Exactly! It will definitely not be a home event for Russian skaters...!