Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Helsinki will host 2017 Worlds

Custom Title
    I'm happy. Finns know very well how to organize large events in many different disciplines.

Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    I'm fine with it. Will basically be a home event for Russia.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Is it nearer to where you live than Sochi?
    It is nearer for most Russians.

On the Ice
    Will basically be a home event for Russia.
    Terrible to hear for a Finn especially as we will celebrate 100 years of independence in 2017 and we are not Russians.

But all are welcome and it will be interesting to see who will be skating there. Who will be trying to get a spot/spots for their country for the Olympics 2018.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm fine with it. Will basically be a home event for Russia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sini View Post
    Terrible to hear for a Finn especially as we will celebrate 100 years of independence in 2017 and we are not Russians.

But all are welcome and it will be interesting to see who will be skating there. Who will be trying to get a spot/spots for their country for the Olympics 2018.
    I was going to say the same - I hope they meant in proximity only. After only a year here, I can promise that Helsinki is NOT an extension of Russia.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sini View Post

Exactly! It will definitely not be a home event for Russian skaters...!

Banned
    Finland is right next to Saint Petersburg so you will hear a lot of Ross see ya

Custom Title
    No, I don't think so. We didn't have that many Russian fans in Euros 2009. Even though we have a long border with Russia, we are totally different from them. Never mix Finnish and Russians, it's embarrasing.

Custom Title
    The Finnish fans will scream louder, "SUOMI, SUOMI, SUOMI, SUOMI" Well, the Finnish audience is known for cheering for every athlete regardless where they're from. I'm sure all skaters are going to feel very warmly welcomed in Finland!

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    The Finnish fans will scream louder, "SUOMI, SUOMI, SUOMI, SUOMI" Well, the Finnish audience is known for cheering for every athlete regardless where they're from. I'm sure all skaters are going to feel very warmly welcomed in Finland!
    Can you explain to me what does "suomi" mean?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Can you explain to me what does "suomi" mean?
    It's Finland in Finnish

Medalist
    i hope i can go

Perhaps there will be a lot of Russian fans, and perhaps Team Russia will repeat the sweep they had last time in Helsinki (1999)! I think the Finnish crowd will be very polite but a bit subdued for Team Russia, the relationship between the two countries is very polite at an official level but Russians have a slightly bad reputation, particularly in Helsinki and the eastern border regions.

It would be great if Kiira Korpi could stick around until 2017, I'd love to see her perform for the world with a home crowd cheering her on!

I guess we now know why Finland voted in favor of secret judging.....

Custom Title
    Very cool!
    On a related note, is it true that they're removing the Iceberg Skating Palace in Sochi and moving it to another city as a "portable" venue? I remember reading somewhere months ago just after V/T got double gold that they were looking to open a training camp in Sochi. Would that be on the back burner now? If the venue gets moved, would that be why Sochi wasn't selected?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Very cool!
    On a related note, is it true that they're removing the Iceberg Skating Palace in Sochi and moving it to another city as a "portable" venue? I remember reading somewhere months ago just after V/T got double gold that they were looking to open a training camp in Sochi. Would that be on the back burner now? If the venue gets moved, would that be why Sochi wasn't selected?
    No idea about Iceberg... Sochi didn't even bid for the 2017 Worlds. They were considering to do it but then decided not to.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I guess we now know why Finland voted in favor of secret judging.....
    No, you're wrong. I'm too lazy to summarize the discussion from the other thread but basically Finland simply considers the present judging system better, saying that the alternative system would not solve the problems of transparency, controversies etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast