Helsinki will host 2017 Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Helsinki will host 2017 Worlds

YLFan

Match Penalty
Finland is right next to Saint Petersburg so you will hear a lot of Ross see ya :)

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Finland is right next to Saint Petersburg so you will hear a lot of Ross see ya :)

No, I don't think so. We didn't have that many Russian fans in Euros 2009. Even though we have a long border with Russia, we are totally different from them. Never mix Finnish and Russians, it's embarrasing.

Sara

On the Ice

The Finnish fans will scream louder, "SUOMI, SUOMI, SUOMI, SUOMI" ;) Well, the Finnish audience is known for cheering for every athlete regardless where they're from. I'm sure all skaters are going to feel very warmly welcomed in Finland!

Meoima

Match Penalty
The Finnish fans will scream louder, "SUOMI, SUOMI, SUOMI, SUOMI" ;) Well, the Finnish audience is known for cheering for every athlete regardless where they're from. I'm sure all skaters are going to feel very warmly welcomed in Finland!
Can you explain to me what does "suomi" mean? :)

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
i hope i can go :)

Perhaps there will be a lot of Russian fans, and perhaps Team Russia will repeat the sweep they had last time in Helsinki (1999)! I think the Finnish crowd will be very polite but a bit subdued for Team Russia, the relationship between the two countries is very polite at an official level but Russians have a slightly bad reputation, particularly in Helsinki and the eastern border regions.

It would be great if Kiira Korpi could stick around until 2017, I'd love to see her perform for the world with a home crowd cheering her on!

anyanka

Record Breaker
Very cool!
On a related note, is it true that they're removing the Iceberg Skating Palace in Sochi and moving it to another city as a "portable" venue? I remember reading somewhere months ago just after V/T got double gold that they were looking to open a training camp in Sochi. Would that be on the back burner now? If the venue gets moved, would that be why Sochi wasn't selected?

Sara

On the Ice
Very cool!
On a related note, is it true that they're removing the Iceberg Skating Palace in Sochi and moving it to another city as a "portable" venue? I remember reading somewhere months ago just after V/T got double gold that they were looking to open a training camp in Sochi. Would that be on the back burner now? If the venue gets moved, would that be why Sochi wasn't selected?

No idea about Iceberg... Sochi didn't even bid for the 2017 Worlds. They were considering to do it but then decided not to.

Sara

On the Ice
I guess we now know why Finland voted in favor of secret judging.....

No, you're wrong. I'm too lazy to summarize the discussion from the other thread but basically Finland simply considers the present judging system better, saying that the alternative system would not solve the problems of transparency, controversies etc.

Mafke

Medalist
No, you're wrong. I'm too lazy to summarize the discussion from the other thread but basically Finland simply considers the present judging system better, saying that the alternative system would not solve the problems of transparency, controversies etc.

Which problems of transparency does anonymous judging solve or improve?

glam

On the Ice

No we won't. There is hardly any Russian spectators at Finlandia Trophy for example. And I think the tickets will be too expensive for them anyways.

We Finns like to root all of the skaters no matter where they come from. That is one of the reasons why they like to skate at Finlandia Trophy. The atmosphere at the rink is very welcoming and warm!
And I would like to remind you and some other posters that it's extremely offensive to read these kind of comments about cheering Russians etc.

Sara

On the Ice
Which problems of transparency does anonymous judging solve or improve?

Neither of the two alternatives is a solution to the existing problems. My personal opinion is that the non anonymous judging system would be better tho.

Sara

On the Ice
No we won't. There is hardly any Russian spectators at Finlandia Trophy for example. And I think the tickets will be too expensive for them anyways.

We Finns like to root all of the skaters no matter where they come from. That is one of the reasons why they like to skate at Finlandia Trophy. The atmosphere at the rink is very welcoming and warm!
And I would like to remind you and some other posters that it's extremely offensive to read these kind of comments about cheering Russians etc.

I don't think it's offensive what YLFan wrote (I think he/she only meant that as Finland is close to St.Petersburg, there will be skating fans coming to Helsinki to cheer for Russians at Worlds). But I agree that it's not a "home event for Russia". Anyway, let's try not to start a debate on the Finnish-Russian relations ;) :)

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
I don't think it's offensive what YLFan wrote (I think he/she only meant that as Finland is close to St.Petersburg, there will be skating fans coming to Helsinki to cheer for Russians at Worlds). But I agree that it's not a "home event for Russia". Anyway, let's try not to start a debate on the Finnish-Russian relations ;) :)

Yeah I don't really know what glam means by "offensive" either. You'd have to be pretty fragile to get too worked up about anything that's been said on this board so far....

Anyways, there was a large Russian fan contingent in Helsinki in 2012 when Finland hosted the World Ice Hockey Championships. I saw lots of Russian team jerseys on people around town. I think plenty of Russian fans will come for the skating, too! Plus, Finlandia Trophy is not really a good example - of course there aren't many Russian spectators in the audience, there aren't many spectators PERIOD! Barona was almost empty when I went.

With Stockholm hosting the Euro champs next year too, it's a great time to be a skating fan in the Nordic countries! :) I was thinking of taking the ferry to Sweden for Euros next year but I might just pitch my pennies and go to Helsinki Worlds instead :)

Sara

On the Ice
Yeah I don't really know what glam means by "offensive" either. You'd have to be pretty fragile to get too worked up about anything that's been said on this board so far....

Anyways, there was a large Russian fan contingent in Helsinki in 2012 when Finland hosted the World Ice Hockey Championships. I saw lots of Russian team jerseys on people around town. I think plenty of Russian fans will come for the skating, too! Plus, Finlandia Trophy is not really a good example - of course there aren't many Russian spectators in the audience, there aren't many spectators PERIOD! Barona was almost empty when I went.

With Stockholm hosting the Euro champs next year too, it's a great time to be a skating fan in the Nordic countries! :) I was thinking of taking the ferry to Sweden for Euros next year but I might just pitch my pennies and go to Helsinki Worlds instead :)

Me too, I'm planning to go to Stockholm for Euros! Perhaps even to Tallinn for Junior Worlds if I'm free. So great that the Nordic and Baltic region gets to host many skating events.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Disappointed for Glasgow, but happy for Helsinki. I've visited Finland several times, and I can say it is a beautiful country with trees practically everywhere, and friendly people. Helsinki itself is a lovely, clean city and the food from the stalls down at the quayside is OMG DELICIOUS...

Regarding Finlandia and attendance... I think things might be a bit different if Hanyu and/or Lipnitskaia show up there again - their popularities have sky-rocketed in the last year...!

eg. The hotel where the skaters and judges usually stay, is booked solid for the Finlandia weekend, and has been for quite some time (it didn't happen so fast, so early before).

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
Disappointed for Glasgow, but happy for Helsinki. I've visited Finland several times, and I can say it is a beautiful country with trees practically everywhere, and friendly people. Helsinki itself is a lovely, clean city and the food from the stalls down at the quayside is OMG DELICIOUS...

Regarding Finlandia and attendance... I think things might be a bit different if Hanyu and/or Lipnitskaia show up there again - their popularities have sky-rocketed in the last year...!

eg. The hotel where the skaters and judges usually stay, is booked solid for the Finlandia weekend, and has been for quite some time (it didn't happen so fast, so early before).

Hopefully Finlandia will pick up a bit and attract more top-level skaters. The first time I went was in 2011, when it was still in Tikkurila, and there were essentially no big-name skaters (Euros or Worlds medalists) in the mens and ladies discipline. At least dance had Tessa and Scott. Last year was considerably better, but still...