Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: "Women" and "Girls" for season 2014-15

Banned
    With the mass retirements this year now its truly a young girls sport that it was evolving to. Every GP, worlds, euros, should be won by a girl 18 or younger.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    With the mass retirements this year now its truly a young girls sport that it was evolving to. Every GP, worlds, euros, should be won by a girl 18 or younger.
    So you're saying Julia shouldn't win any GP/Euros/Worlds/Olympics in 2018 at the age of 19?

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    But female jumping beans can win championships, while boys (usually) can't.
    And now more than ever the wins often happen at the expense of artistry, which I find disappointing. The art vs. sport conundrum -- again.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    The female jumping beans also draw lots of "nyah, nyah" comments as their bodies mature and they're forced to re-learn their technique, which sometimes compromises their consistency. Double standard again.
    Again, these comments are usually made by people who need to get a life. They're probably insecure about their own bodies so they can't help but jeer at skater's growing (heaven forbid!) as nature intended.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    And now more than ever the wins often happen at the expense of artistry, which I find disappointing. The art vs. sport conundrum -- again.
    I'm okay with that. I don't think that a skater should be denied the ability to win a championship because they don't have the maturity/artistry (which is subjective anyways), but they should be denied wins if they don't attempt great difficulty or skate technically well.

It's unreal that a skater like Kostner/Asada/Kim has a 12-15 point advantage over other skaters, who could be reeling off 7-triple performances while they make major errors and still place behind the top ladies. If there's any good thing about Lipnitskaia's/Hanyu's skyrocketing PCS last season, at least it will force the other skaters to ensure they go for high difficulty (3-3 and quads), which might result in more errors overall in the field, but it will elevate the sport more than Arakawa's or Lysacek's play-it-safe Olympic wins.

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Every GP, worlds, euros, should be won by a girl 18 or younger.
    I don't agree with the "should". If they deserve to win fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    So you're saying Julia shouldn't win any GP/Euros/Worlds/Olympics in 2018 at the age of 19?

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I'm okay with that. I don't think that a skater should be denied the ability to win a championship because they don't have the maturity/artistry (which is subjective anyways), but they should be denied wins if they don't attempt great difficulty or skate technically well.

It's unreal that a skater like Kostner/Asada/Kim has a 12-15 point advantage over other skaters, who could be reeling off 7-triple performances while they make major errors and still place behind the top ladies. If there's any good thing about Lipnitskaia's/Hanyu's skyrocketing PCS last season, at least it will force the other skaters to ensure they go for high difficulty (3-3 and quads), which might result in more errors overall in the field, but it will elevate the sport more than Arakawa's or Lysacek's play-it-safe Olympic wins.

The only thing I'm a bit concerned is that I don't want to push too much the juniors and risk injuries.

Custom Title
    Says you?

What about if Yuna came back and skated perfectly? Should she not win GPs, Worlds or anything since she's over 18? Or Mao? Or Gracie, since Gracie is now 18 and by extension of your logic, too old to win GPs Worlds etc. What about when Adelina turns 18? Or when Yulia turns 18? Or Ashley or Mirai or Carolina or basically the majority of international female skaters....?

Banned
    I mean that no girl left over 18 is good enough to win a podium this year. And I don't see that changing in the next few seasons. Yuna and Mao aren't around and probably never will be again.

Custom Title
    I mean that no girl left over 18 is good enough to win a podium this year.
    Wow. The level of arrogance in this statement is...wow.

skating philosopher
    I mean that no girl left over 18 is good enough to win a podium this year. And I don't see that changing in the next few seasons. Yuna and Mao aren't around and probably never will be again.
    Well I hope one of those "old maid" skaters will prove you wrong.

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Out of the top 24 this year at Worlds, only 7 were under 18 - Yulia, Pogo, Polina, So-youn, Gabrielle, Zijun, and Hae-jin. Of those seven, four placed in the top ten and two in the top five.

That's a big statement to stand behind. Alissa won the GPF at 22 after everyone counted her out. I wouldn't think to eliminate over 75% of competitors out of the 'winning' pool so quickly

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Says you?

What about if Yuna came back and skated perfectly? Should she not win GPs, Worlds or anything since she's over 18? Or Mao? Or Gracie, since Gracie is now 18 and by extension of your logic, too old to win GPs Worlds etc. What about when Adelina turns 18? Or when Yulia turns 18? Or Ashley or Mirai or Carolina or basically the majority of international female skaters....?
    I read that "should" comment as "it will most likely happen", not "it will happen." English language quirks.

But then I saw the comment about no one over 18 being good enough to win. LOL, OK.

Banned
    With Yuna out, Gracie Gold (18) is probably the best jumper in the sport. She stands the best chance to dominate out of anyone right now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8in View Post
    With Yuna out, Gracie Gold (18) is probably the best jumper in the sport. She stands the best chance to dominate out of anyone right now.
    I disagree, Julia to me seems the likely one to dominate; her results last year were incredible; she only finished off the podium once, and finished second 3 times; 2 times to Mao and 1 to Adelina.

Banned
    Julia is not as good as she is hyped to be. Her jumps are iffy, and she has 'child star' practically stamped on her forehead. If she can lose to Mao, she can definitely lose to Gold.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast