Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: "Women" and "Girls" for season 2014-15

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    That's it -- and that's why I haven't yet been able to get excited about Yulia. We'll see. Keeping my fingers crossed that Edmunds will be in the mix, too.
    I've always loved watching Julia from an aesthetic level and my jaw dropped the first time I saw her spins. I don't think she's particularly as engaging as other skaters, but she's very consistent, and I can usually expect a solid performance from her. And of course her flexibility/spins are to die for. But Radionova just exudes more personality and has fun on the ice, which is more appealing to me personally.

I also was really impressed by Edmunds (especially her SP I enjoyed), so I also hope she can be in the mix... she can certainly challenge Gold and Wagner if she maintains her consistency and effortless jumping.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Irina89 View Post
    How come no one is mentioning Liza T? I think her jumps, when landed, are great
    I think Liza T (and to a different extent, Artur) shows the importance of having a great base jump technique. What it means is that when everything else goes to pot for them, that great Mishin technique means the jumps never leave them. Both of them have had a stack of injuries, mental issues, and growth/development issues over the past few years but the jumps have never really left. And when you have the jumps still, everything else can be rebuilt.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I think Liza T (and to a different extent, Artur) shows the importance of having a great base jump technique. What it means is that when everything else goes to pot for them, that great Mishin technique means the jumps never leave them. Both of them have had a stack of injuries, mental issues, and growth/development issues over the past few years but the jumps have never really left. And when you have the jumps still, everything else can be rebuilt.
    What good is the technique when you are constantly falling like Artur has the last 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by LuisRollerArg View Post
    It will be interesting see the different styles for female skaters this season.. with Mao, Caro, Akiko, Yuna and others retiring, this season will be "athletic and technical" .. a few of ladies still compete and they will try beat to younger and stronger ladies

WOMEN: Valentina Marchei, Ashley Wagner, Kiira Korpi, Viktoria Helgesson, Adelina Sotnikova (her Carmen was amazing and sexy), Kaetlyn Osmond, Samantha Cesario

ATHLETIC GIRLS: Julia Lip, Elena Radionova, Gracie Gold, Polina Edmunds, So Youn Park, Zijun Li, Gabrielle Daleman, Courtney Hicks

LADIES WITH "in the middle" STYLE: Mae Berenice Meite, Joshi Helgegsson, Alena Leonova, Kanako Murakami, Haruka Imai
    Gracie is 19 which technically makes her a grown woman. She is old enough to do anything except drink.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    an issue with the head is hard to fix like Gachinskis
    so is a genetic/body frame like Tuk cannot be changed, Tuk has weight issues but even if she loses a few pounds her body frame looks wide

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    an issue with the head is hard to fix like Gachinskis
    so is a genetic/body frame like Tuk cannot be changed, Tuk has weight issues but even if she loses a few pounds her body frame looks wide
    Midori Ito was stocky too but i never hurt her skating.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Midori Ito was stocky too but i never hurt her skating.
    but Ito was much shorter than Tuk ?
    also Midori didnt had any weight issues like Tuk

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    Soyoun Park's jumps are the only ones out of the current ladies' that I find impressive all-around. She has decent speed going in, great rotations and body positioning in air, and good landings and flow-out. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else in next season's ladies field that has such well-rounded jumps. Most of the ladies are strong in some aspects and weak in others (ex: big, explosive jumps, but unattractive launches and landings).
    I fully agree with this. I was impressed with Park. Not just with her jumps but her overall performance.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-19-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: delete brat speech

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    What good is the technique when you are constantly falling like Artur has the last 3 years?
    Because it means that now, when Artur's injuries are healed, Tarasova doesn't need to touch the jumps. It's not a worry. Heck, even at his worst his worst jump was the quad but everything else was still there. Two weeks before Russian Nationals he did a two-quad two-3A long that was basically clean. You can't do that if the jumps have disappeared.

Tripping on the Podium
    I think Mishin is one of, if not the best, when it comes to jumping technique. What I just can't understand, is his stubbornness when it comes to choreography....The things his skaters could achieve

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Coltrocks12 View Post
    Gracie is 19 which technically makes her a grown woman. She is old enough to do anything except drink.

and she can even do that, drink, if she is in the right country.

If someone hates "girls" they surely aren't going to like the present and future. All the main contenders this year are 15-19. Next year is going to be a big influx of 15 year olds. More remaining older skaters like Wagner will likely retire.

Custom Title
    Did Tara ever skate as (or like) a "woman"? I was surprised to see her on a Hollywood Game Night last evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Irina89 View Post
    I think Mishin is one of, if not the best, when it comes to jumping technique. What I just can't understand, is his stubbornness when it comes to choreography....The things his skaters could achieve
    Agree about the artistic part, those Tangos for Evgeni and Latino for Liza are just but I think that almost all his students have very good toeloop, loop, lutz and axel technique, while his flip technique is one of the worst: Plushy and Artur didn't even include them, and (before this blackout year) it was Liza's worst jump, the most inconsistent one... It reminds me of Morozov: most of his skaters (I' m thinking about Miki, Valentina, Junior Kovtun, Amodio) have very good lutz and almost no flip

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10