"Women" and "Girls" for season 2014-15 | Golden Skate

"Women" and "Girls" for season 2014-15

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
It will be interesting see the different styles for female skaters this season.. with Mao, Caro, Akiko, Yuna and others retiring, this season will be "athletic and technical" .. a few of ladies still compete and they will try beat to younger and stronger ladies

WOMEN: Valentina Marchei, Ashley Wagner, Kiira Korpi, Viktoria Helgesson, Adelina Sotnikova (her Carmen was amazing and sexy), Kaetlyn Osmond, Samantha Cesario

ATHLETIC GIRLS: Julia Lip, Elena Radionova, Gracie Gold, Polina Edmunds, So Youn Park, Zijun Li, Gabrielle Daleman, Courtney Hicks

LADIES WITH "in the middle" STYLE: Mae Berenice Meite, Joshi Helgegsson, Alena Leonova, Kanako Murakami, Haruka Imai

flutzy13

On the Ice
It will be interesting see the different styles for female skaters this season.. with Mao, Caro, Akiko, Yuna and others retiring, this season will be "athletic and technical" .. a few of ladies still compete and they will try beat to younger and stronger ladies

WOMEN: Valentina Marchei, Ashley Wagner, Kiira Korpi, Viktoria Helgesson, Adelina Sotnikova (her Carmen was amazing and sexy), Kaetlyn Osmond, Samantha Cesario

ATHLETIC GIRLS: Julia Lip, Elena Radionova, Gracie Gold, Polina Edmunds, So Youn Park, Zijun Li, Gabrielle Daleman, Courtney Hicks

LADIES WITH "in the middle" STYLE: Mae Berenice Meite, Joshi Helgegsson, Alena Leonova, Kanako Murakami, Haruka Imai

This list oversimplifies things. Lip and Gracie don't belong in the same category with the likes of Daleman and Hicks. And Meite may not be a young girl but she is the definition of an athletic skater who brings nothing else to the table. Marchei, Wagner, Osmond and Sotnikova are also very different skaters.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This list oversimplifies things. Lip and Gracie don't belong in the same category with the likes of Daleman and Hicks. And Meite may not be a young girl but she is the definition of an athletic skater who brings nothing else to the table. Marchei, Wagner, Osmond and Sotnikova are also very different skaters.

How do you figure that? Gracie is a more athletic skater like Hicks or Daleman. Lip i agree isn't as athletic as some of those other girls mentioned. In fact her jumps are rather tiny not explosive.

Icey

Record Breaker
The word girl originally meant "young person of either sex" in English; it was only around the beginning of the 16th century that it came to mean specifically a female child.

So using the original English meaning, which of the males qualify as "girls".:eek:

How likely is it that someone would start a thread like this for males, dividing them into MEN AND BOYS ????????:rolleye:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
The word girl originally meant "young person of either sex" in English; it was only around the beginning of the 16th century that it came to mean specifically a female child.

So using the original English meaning, which of the males qualify as "girls".:eek:

How likely is it that someone would start a thread like this for males, dividing them into MEN AND BOYS ????????:rolleye:

:points::points: Thank you!!!!

Amei

Record Breaker
How do you figure that? Gracie is a more athletic skater like Hicks or Daleman. Lip i agree isn't as athletic as some of those other girls mentioned. In fact her jumps are rather tiny not explosive.

the sole definition of athletic is not explosive jumps. Lip has the spins above everyone and endurance, pretty sure she skated more competitive skates than anyone else.

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice

Mae is so athletic, right, but she skates with sex appeal and sexy faces!! look her final expression in her Prince SP.. she definitively "is in the middle", athletic and stylish!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
How likely is it that someone would start a thread like this for males, dividing them into MEN AND BOYS ????????
:laugh: Oh boy, now that'll be a volcano of a thread.

I'm actually okay with the concept of this thread (using the terms "woman" and "girls" in terms of style, rather than just age), but if you put it like that... well, just goes to show how different values are between the genders.

YLFan

Match Penalty
I think this label is mostly used by some in the skating community to hatchet job skaters they view as a threat.

Alba

Record Breaker

Oh fantastic skaters. So beautiful, so artistic, soooo women. They deserve to win no matter what, because they're...well, "WOMEN".:rolleye:

How dare they challenge the WOMEN?!:sarcasm:

I'm not sure what ladies "with in the middle" style means. A trans gender? :sarcasm:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It's too bad that women vs. girls carries with it a distinction of quality. I consider Yulia a "girl" (and she uses this to her full advantage in both SP/LP), but I'm rooting for her with all my heart. Not everyone needs to be one kind of woman. ;)

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
I'm not sure what ladies "with in the middle" style means. A trans gender? :sarcasm:

for me, "in the middle" means these girls have style, but still needs so much the TES for be competitive.. Example: Kiira Korpi with 5 triples and a fall got 115+in CoR, and with 4 triples and 2 pops and 1 fall she still get 110+ in GPF , and Mae, Leonova, Murakami too, trying 7 triples in her FS only had 100-109 in 2012-13... "Girls", "Women" and "In the Middle" is all about skating style, not about gender...

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you icey and skatedreamer for saying what I was feeling.

You're ever so welcome, but IMO icey deserves all of the credit. ;)

Also, special thanks to icey for the history of "girl." I had no idea that it was originally a unisex word! Amazing what you can learn here on GS... :biggrin:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
This thread confuses me. Among other things I don't think stylish/athletic must be contradictions.

Really :laugh: Good post and thanks for the education...

It's too bad that women vs. girls carries with it a distinction of quality. I consider Yulia a "girl" (and she uses this to her full advantage in both SP/LP), but I'm rooting for her with all my heart. Not everyone needs to be one kind of woman. ;)

This is how I feel too. I know "girlish" women and some very grown up young girls. Also "manly" women, "boyish" girls, "girly" boys etc etc... I would love if more female skaters challenged the expected picture of a lady figure skater.... Showing their personality :yes:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Mae is so athletic, right, but she skates with sex appeal and sexy faces!! look her final expression in her Prince SP.. she definitively "is in the middle", athletic and stylish!

Mae is pure style. While other skaters are concerned with being princesses, she's giving straight up sass. :rock:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I'm sure we could do that too.

Skaters like Hanyu, Nguyen, Kovtun, Yan, Reynolds, Brown I'd consider "boys" and skaters like Abbott, Chan, Plushenko, Joubert, Takahashi I would consider "men" and then you have your sort of in betweens like Kozuka and Fernandez.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Start the thread then. :popcorn:

(My point earlier was: It's usually considered "offensive" to call someone a boy rather than a man, so such a thread would be the ultimate flame bait. While many people aren't so happy with the women/girls division, it doesn't create the same visceral reaction as "Ooo, let's separate the boys from the men!" does. I think it does speak to how much maturity as valued for males vs. females).

But by all means, make the thread! If we're going to create these divisions, might as well as make it equal-opportunity. :biggrin: