Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: "Women" and "Girls" for season 2014-15

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Who?

I agree. Knocking her FS out the way she did was a major accomplishment and proved that she does have the goods to skate well and (with consistent performances) to score well. However, she's still very young and rather inexperienced at the senior level. She'll be competing on the senior GP this year, right? (for all of my knowledge re: figure skating I'm pretty clueless when it comes to world rankings and GP slots )
    Chafik Besseghier is the only one to deliver two clean skates at the past Worlds (both with quads). It earned him 9th. Similar to Park in that they came out of nowhere and both placed 9th.

She's still inexperienced as you said, and so I hope there aren't all these expectations piled on her because she had a strong Worlds. Same goes for Edmunds (although she did well at US nationals and Sochi).

I was curious about the ages of medalists....so I calculated it out.

I looked back at ISU World/Olympic competitions since IJS was implemented, so starting with 2005 Worlds

% of medalists

15-19 years
    Overall: 35.9 percent
    Olympics: 33.3 percent
    Worlds: 36.67 percent

20-24 years
    Overall: 43.6 percent
    Olympics: 44.4 percent
    Worlds: 43.3 percent

25+ years
    Overall: 20.5 percent
    Olympics: 22 percent
    Worlds: 20 percent

Median age of medalist:
    Overall: 21 years
    Olympics: 23 years
    Worlds: 21 years

Average age of medalist
    Overall: 21.26 years
    Olympics: 22.33
    Worlds: 20.93

Average age of medalists by competition
    2005 Worlds: 21.33
    2006 Olympics: 24.00
    2006 Worlds: 20.67
    2007 Worlds: 17.00
    2008 Worlds: 18.33
    2009 Worlds: 20.67
    2010 Olympics: 20.67
    2010 Worlds: 19.67
    2011 Worlds: 22.33
    2012 Worlds: 24.33
    2013 Worlds: 23.33
    2014 Olympics: 22.33
    2014 Worlds: 21.67

So Olympic medalists tend to skew old, Worlds medalists skew younger and that 21-24 age group seems to be the sweet spot. Though we're probably due to see that event age average go down with all the retirements...
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 06-19-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Lets not forget that Ashley knocked her FS out of the park at worlds too. On top of that Ashley easily outperformed Park in Sochi and not too many people are saying Ashley is going to take over based on her Worlds performance. Consistency is going to be very crucial going forward with such a level playing field ahead. ITA with CSG about not putting too much pressure on her and I'm secretly hoping she can get away from skating too similarly to Yuna. Right now it's very evident in her presentation. Maybe that's not a bad thing but maybe too soon? In any case I was wowed by Park at Worlds and look forward to seeing her season develop. She carries a certain grace that really connects to the music and the audience. I like what I see from this one
    However, Wagner is at a later point in her career than Park is at. Look at all the threads on GS speculating if Wagner should retire and debating if she can improve her abilities anymore, and if she can continue at a competitive level and not get overtaken by the youngsters. Park is still coming into her full potential.

Custom Title
    Mrs. P, just wondering, does your survey include only women, or both women and men? I assume it's the former, but just to make sure.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I used to think that Gracie's jumps were massive but ever since she hooked up with Frank, the only jumps she really wows me on is her lutz.

I agree with Sam when it comes to Gracie's landings. She used to have more flow in her landings, though she'd fall a bit more frequently. Now, for the most part, she's staying upright but she lands kinda heavy and very tight with little flow...I guess that's her way of coping with the nerves. It's much more preferable to splatting but it doesn't leave a great impression for the overall program.
    The air position of her lutz in the3/3 has bothered me ever since she went to Frank (probably coincidence). It has a lean to it that could become problematic imo. I have only heard one commentator mention the lean, which is puzzling since it is quite obvious.

Custom Title
    Lets not forget that Ashley knocked her FS out of the park at worlds too

two under rotations, an edge call, and three negative goe's on her jumps is not knocking her fs out of the park imo. That being said, I enjoyed her skate very much.

Tripping on the Podium
    How come no one is mentioning Liza T? I think her jumps, when landed, are great

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Mrs. P, just wondering, does your survey include only women, or both women and men? I assume it's the former, but just to make sure.
    Just ladies, since that is what we're discussing here.

Custom Title
    I'm rooting for Liza. She was great technique on her jumps and I think she has a good amount of style and sass. I'm sad all her injury problems came during Olympic year.

@Mrs. P
    Thanks. I figured, especially since 2006 Olympics had such a high average. Higher than the men that year, I believe.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irina89 View Post
    How come no one is mentioning Liza T? I think her jumps, when landed, are great
    I think the "when landed"issue happened at the wrong time for her especially considering the depth of Russian talent. She is a great jumper but she has lost a lot of momentum. I'd love to see her come back strong.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    two under rotations, an edge call, and three negative goe's on her jumps is not knocking her fs out of the park imo. That being said, I enjoyed her skate very much.
    She stayed on her feet and got a personal best. URs and flutzes are not major errors or even medium errors like stepouts/hand down. For her, that's knocking it out of the park.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Skatedreamer isn't even a Yulia fan but......I'm doing my best to change that

<snip>

Thanks, S-S. If anyone can make a Yulia fan out of me, it's probably you!

TBH, I've never been a fan of any Russian women singles skaters; can't really explain why. Pairs and ID, definitely. Men, not so much either except Yagudin. But the women generally leave me cold for some reason, although Radionova sure made me sit up and take notice this season. Time will tell...
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-19-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Thanks, S-S. If anyone can make a Yulia fan out of me, it's probably you!

TBH, I've never been a fan of any Russian women singles skaters; can't really explain why. Pairs and ID, definitely. Men, not so much either except Yagudin. But the women generally leave me cold for some reason, although Radionova sure made me sit up and take notice this season. Time will tell...
    I love watching Radionova skate as well. She seems like she actually loves what she's doing instead of just going out there and doing her job and reeling off triples. I actually think next season she will be the one to push Lipnitskaia the most, but time will tell.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I love watching Radionova skate as well. She seems like she actually loves what she's doing instead of just going out there and doing her job and reeling off triples. I actually think next season she will be the one to push Lipnitskaia the most, but time will tell.
    That's it -- and that's why I haven't yet been able to get excited about Yulia. We'll see. Keeping my fingers crossed that Edmunds will be in the mix, too.

The "brat" discussion is over now, please.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast