Agnes Zawadzki to Sit Out 2014-15 Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Agnes Zawadzki to Sit Out 2014-15 Season

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/13/s...o-reach-olympics-is-the-familys-too.html?_r=2

this article is really emocional and breathtaking.. here is the story of Zawadzki family.... the difficulties that had to happen for Agnes become a member of the Olympic team, and the hard work of her mother, grueling work hours... I really hope the best for Agnes and her mother.. she definitively is an inspiration!

Good Lord, what an article. Jolanta Zawadski makes me think of some of my Eastern European friends, who have also worked as home health aides, housekeepers, and hotel chambermaids, often six or seven days a week, so they can give their kids a good start in life. Often people double up in their apartments, sharing maybe with an adult son or the brother, to save everyone some rent money. They often send money home to the rest of the family (maybe grandchildren) in the old country. Having seen this up close, I can begin to imagine what the Zawadskis' daily life has been like. The burden on Mrs. Zawadski is great, but it's also significant for Agnes, who must feel at this moment that it was all for naught. and that she is the culprit. That's devastating. (She's wrong, but at the moment of extreme loss, that's what seems most obvious.)

When a life of sacrifice doesn't lead to the desired goal, what happens next? Not that the other skaters are any less deserving of glory than Agnes, but there's a special heartbreak when such extraordinary adversity is involved. I hope that whatever Agnes does next, there is a happy outcome for all of them, and a productive life that is a little less stringent.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
When a life of sacrifice doesn't lead to the desired goal, what happens next? Not that the other skaters are any less deserving of glory than Agnes, but there's a special heartbreak when such extraordinary adversity is involved. I hope that whatever Agnes does next, there is a happy outcome for all of them, and a productive life that is a little less stringent.

She didn't achieve her skating goals. She can either be devastated about it, or be proud of the fact that she was able to represent the US in competitions around the world and skate along side the best skaters in the world. There are so few spot at the top that I wish these skaters would find the silver lining in their very impressive careers when they don't become Olympians or world medalists.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/13/s...o-reach-olympics-is-the-familys-too.html?_r=2

this article is really emocional and breathtaking.. here is the story of Zawadzki family.... the difficulties that had to happen for Agnes become a member of the Olympic team, and the hard work of her mother, grueling work hours... I really hope the best for Agnes and her mother.. she definitively is an inspiration!

My goodness! What an emotional read!

After reading that, I'm feeling really guilty about how flippant I have been over the past couple of years calling for Agnes to switch to representing Poland.

Although I knew Agnes was not from the most well-off background, I had no idea that it was this extreme.

I cannot think of any words that do justice to what Jolanta has done for her daughter. She is simply remarkable.

I never realised that Agnes' father was never in the picture, even when he was alive. So for her mother to single-handedly raise her family, and then for her to let her daughter persue her love of skating, even though it is one of the most expensive sports to get involved in. It says a lot about the sort of woman Jolanta is. A mother who would sacrifice everything for her family.

Olympia was spot on. I know these are generalisations based on stereotypes, but they are so true. The most important thing to most Eastern Europeans is family. And that is the reason Eastern Europeans are such hard workers: they want to make life better for their family.

And I can understand why Agnes may feel that she has failed, and has let everybody down, especially her mother. But she has not.

Everybody makes mistakes, or has off-days. The problem with figure skating is that if these happen at the wrong time, it can have long lasting consequences. Figure skating is such a fickle sport - it doesn't matter how well you have been doing all season, all that matters is what happens in those 3 minutes or so on competition day.

Although simple mistakes meant she didn't get selected to go to Sochi, Agnes has achieved so much at such a young age.

I am sure there are millions of little girls out there who would love to grow up and achieve what she has. But very few of them will. That Agnes has managed to do so, when everything was stacked against her, is all down to the hard work of her and her remarkable mother.

Agnes and Jolanta are inspirational.

This is not a story of failure; it is a story of success.

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ a beautiful, thoughtful post.

BTW, speaking of shows, Agnes did perform (delightfully) in the "US Legends on Ice" show (Olympians of the past & this past season's hopefuls). The show took place in early December in Northern NJ, but was aired a few days before the Olympics began. I imagine her performance (and Adam's :cry: ) weren't shown because of how they finished @ US Nationals. :disapp: Of course I wish they had been shown!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I wonder if Agnes maybe would have done better if she didn't have all that pressure on her shoulders. Clearly she loves skating, but hopefully she wasn't still competing because she felt she needed to give something back after all her mother's sacrifices.. sometimes, offering an Olympic moment "back," so it seems that the sacrifices have been "worth it," just isn't possible for some people. I put "worth it" in quotes because I know that people find other worth in pursuing athletic careers besides going to the Olympics, and just because someone doesn't make the Olympics doesn't make their career a waste.

anyanka

Record Breaker
My goodness! What an emotional read!

After reading that, I'm feeling really guilty about how flippant I have been over the past couple of years calling for Agnes to switch to representing Poland.

And I can understand why Agnes may feel that she has failed, and has let everybody down, especially her mother. But she has not.

Agnes and Jolanta are inspirational.

This is not a story of failure; it is a story of success.

CaroLiza_fan

Indeed. Thank you.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I don't know what to think, except that I hope it works out well for Agnes. It was so painful to watch her at Nationals and to understand the extra pressure on her stemming from what she and her family had sacrificed up to that point. The idea of her skating for Poland is a nice one, but whatever she does moving forward, I hope it gives her satisfaction and a feeling of hopefulness and accomplishment.

This but I wish her to skate for Poland. This girl has exquisite jumps. Her fears are her issue. I hope polish community on boards benefit her. She is a powerful skater and refreshing. I think of her as Jane Eyre-a simple girl among the roses. Sorry Agnes we will all miss you . Poverty is very tough. We love you!

noskates

Record Breaker
I guess I don't know what she'd gain by skating for another country. She'll still be up against the same competition internationally. All it MIGHT buy her is a national title. I find something kind of weird about that when you change countries just to possibly win a title because you can't win one in the country you live in. Quite a hollow victory IMO.

concorde

Medalist
I remembering watching Agnes at her first Senior Nationals - Wow! What a performance! I have always been disappointed that the has never seemed to "shine" as brightly again.

I assumed that her family's finances were well known. During that debut performance, I remember the commentators mentioning how her mom worked 7 days a week cleaning homes so that Agnes could ice skate.

I wish Agnes and her entire family good luck in whatever they choose to pursue.

slider11

Medalist
It is always sad to see someone's dreams go unfulfilled. But perhaps she can pursue a collegiate skating direction, get her degree in something that she loves, skate with a college and see where that takes her. Even good, accomplished skaters could not rely solely on their skating but had to develop business or other skills to truly succeed in life. Head up Agnes!

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
I guess I don't know what she'd gain by skating for another country. She'll still be up against the same competition internationally. All it MIGHT buy her is a national title. I find something kind of weird about that when you change countries just to possibly win a title because you can't win one in the country you live in. Quite a hollow victory IMO

Not really. She gains attention. She's the only skater to support - because she's much better than best Polish skater Agata Kryger (e.g. personal best of Agata's FS is 75,93 and of Agnes' - 107, 90, and there is only difference of 3 years beetween them). In Poland she would be like shining star, a kind of hope - maybe "merely" Europeans' top ten, but, you must admit it, it's the way better than what happens nowadays.
On the other hand, I would be, of course, very happy, if Agata switched to Poland but, frankly, I can't believe that it will change anything. I don't want to blame my country but financial support here is rather poor. I've once read the article about how our ice dancers tried to gain the money for training (I think they decided to split, unfortunately, they both are so talented and fastly developing, coached by Igor Shpilband). It was quite... eerie :p but I admire them so much. As much as I admire Agnes.
In Poland there has been talented skaters but evereything goes wrong because of lack of something. For example in 1990's there was Anna Rechnio - she had everything: she was pretty, charming, talented, exept of one: she didn't have strong nerves. In 1998 Worlds Anna was an inch from medal, placing 2nd after short program. She missed it. As far as I know there wasn't any psychologist to work with her - what a waste! There are many situations like that in our figure skating - so I'm not so sure whether switching to Poland is the best decision possible.

Maybe something gonna change - I hope so. And I still believe that Agnes skating for Poland can be successful. More successful than for US.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I guess I don't know what she'd gain by skating for another country. She'll still be up against the same competition internationally. All it MIGHT buy her is a national title. I find something kind of weird about that when you change countries just to possibly win a title because you can't win one in the country you live in. Quite a hollow victory IMO.

Yeah, it is weird.. the only thing is that you get to go to Olympics or Worlds, maybe, but there would probably always be a voice in the back of your mind saying that you wouldn't have got those opportunities if you had continued to skate for your own country.. thus tarnishing the accomplishment a little bit. It's kind of like someone who flunks out of an Ivy League school, and goes to a community college and gets near-perfect grades. They would feel good about themselves but still know that it was less than they had originally hoped for or thought they were capable of. It's hard to put this idea into words.

noskates

Record Breaker
I guess you have do define "success!" I do wish Agnes well but I don't enjoy her skating and I don't think she's an elite skater....no matter what country she skates for. I think she tried REALLY hard to make it, sacrificed a lot as did her family, but it just isn't there for her.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
I enjoy Agnes' skating, too. And I admire her very much.

Yeah, it is weird.. the only thing is that you get to go to Olympics or Worlds, maybe, but there would probably always be a voice in the back of your mind saying that you wouldn't have got those opportunities if you had continued to skate for your own country.. thus tarnishing the accomplishment a little bit. It's kind of like someone who flunks out of an Ivy League school, and goes to a community college and gets near-perfect grades. They would feel good about themselves but still know that it was less than they had originally hoped for or thought they were capable of. It's hard to put this idea into words.

Do you remember the ice dancers from Azerbaijan? Julia Zlobina and Alexei Sitnikov. They both are originally Russian. In their home country they placed as high as fifth at Nationals. And because of that - they made very few international appearances. In 2011 they decided to switch to Azerbajian and now they have chace to develop. Although Azerbajian is "skatingly" poorer than Russia, they surely have enough support to place higher and higer every season. This season they placed 6th at European - a competition they wouldn't have had chance to participate in, if they had stayed in Russia. As Polish I really would like my country to have a skater in Europeans top ten. ;)

In a way, skating for Poland (with all its challenges) could add meaning to Agnes's career. She would know that in addition to giving her own career a boost, she would be advancing skating in Poland. It's not as if she had no connection with her heritage. Doesn't she speak Polish at home? Yes, financing would be hard to come by in Poland, but maybe if Agnes is more successful, she would encourage more spending from the national federation. Even a little would help. And Agnes would have the satisfaction of knowing that she had helped nourish Polish skating for the future.

I know this isn't exactly parallel, but in the 1970s, Dianne de Leeuw skated for the Netherlands despite growing up in the U.S. She won a world championship and an Olympic silver medal. I don't think the Netherlands has done as well since then, so she helped them in at least a temporary way and gave herself extra opportunities that she wouldn't have had skating in the then-crowded U.S. ladies' field, which included Dorothy Hamill and Linda Fratianne.

tulosai

Record Breaker
In a way, skating for Poland (with all its challenges) could add meaning to Agnes's career. She would know that in addition to giving her own career a boost, she would be advancing skating in Poland. It's not as if she had no connection with her heritage. Doesn't she speak Polish at home? Yes, financing would be hard to come by in Poland, but maybe if Agnes is more successful, she would encourage more spending from the national federation. Even a little would help. And Agnes would have the satisfaction of knowing that she had helped nourish Polish skating for the future.

I know this isn't exactly parallel, but in the 1970s, Dianne de Leeuw skated for the Netherlands despite growing up in the U.S. She won a world championship and an Olympic silver medal. I don't think the Netherlands has done as well since then, so she helped them in at least a temporary way and gave herself extra opportunities that she wouldn't have had skating in the then-crowded U.S. ladies' field, which included Dorothy Hamill and Linda Fratianne.

She is not getting any financing from the USA this year anyway, so it would be pretty much the same in that respect. I actually bet that did influence whether she could continue this year unfortunately. If she'd been eligible for envelope funding I think she might have kept on, but financing it all herself was probably too daunting.

I don't agree with the Ivy league community college skating comparison but that's just my opinion. I think it's just good sense if you can go to a less competitive country from a more competitive one if you are not the very best, but are good enough to compete decently nationally. Agnes IS someone who could place in the top 10 or even possibly top 5 at Euros. She is someone who would have been sent by the USA to Worlds in past years if we'd had 3 spots not 2. I don't think at this time that she is a potential world or Olympic medal winning skater, but I think in the right circumstances she could be as good as Ashley Wagner. So basically I don't agree that she's not an elite level skater. I think she is someone who needs help with their nerves and who will never probably be the best of the best, but who could certainly win some international medals and go to the WC in the future.

To me, if anything, it would be more like getting C's and low B's at an Ivy, and then moving to a decent state school and getting A-'s.

thom

Rinkside
IMHO I think her hiatus is for stashing money for any kind of move she's going. I believe she's coming back, as a competitor for Poland. And good for her!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I enjoy Agnes' skating, too. And I admire her very much.

Do you remember the ice dancers from Azerbaijan? Julia Zlobina and Alexei Sitnikov. They both are originally Russian. In their home country they placed as high as fifth at Nationals. And because of that - they made very few international appearances. In 2011 they decided to switch to Azerbajian and now they have chace to develop. Although Azerbajian is "skatingly" poorer than Russia, they surely have enough support to place higher and higer every season. This season they placed 6th at European - a competition they wouldn't have had chance to participate in, if they had stayed in Russia. As Polish I really would like my country to have a skater in Europeans top ten. ;)

I do like them, and I think they're an exception because they eventually managed to beat some of the teams that had originally beaten them when they were skating for Russian. If Agnes skated for Poland and because she was happier, got more opportunities for exposure, or whatever, beat Mirai, Ashley, Gracie, or Polina at Worlds then I would say she'd be an exception too. However, if she continued to stay behind those who had been beating her in the US that voice in the back of her mind would probably be present.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
I do like them, and I think they're an exception because they eventually managed to beat some of the teams that had originally beaten them when they were skating for Russian. If Agnes skated for Poland and because she was happier, got more opportunities for exposure, or whatever, beat Mirai, Ashley, Gracie, or Polina at Worlds then I would say she'd be an exception too. However, if she continued to stay behind those who had been beating her in the US that voice in the back of her mind would probably be present.

But in Poland she would have much wider range of possibilities. I mean, she could, e.g. go to Worlds, Grand Prix, Europeans, some B-class events. She would get another opportunities to beat her season's best and to be better and better. Maybe Agnes wouldn't beat Ashley, Gracie and Polina, but she would have strong chances to beat Christina Gao, Samantha Cesario or Courtney Hicks. I didn't tell that she immadietely would become World and European Champion - but for Poland top European ten would be considered as success. I want to say that there's a difference beetween expectations - successful skater in US means at least 4CC champion and in Poland - it means skater in top ten :p ;)

I don't agree with the Ivy league community college skating comparison but that's just my opinion. I think it's just good sense if you can go to a less competitive country from a more competitive one if you are not the very best, but are good enough to compete decently nationally. Agnes IS someone who could place in the top 10 or even possibly top 5 at Euros. She is someone who would have been sent by the USA to Worlds in past years if we'd had 3 spots not 2. I don't think at this time that she is a potential world or Olympic medal winning skater, but I think in the right circumstances she could be as good as Ashley Wagner. So basically I don't agree that she's not an elite level skater. I think she is someone who needs help with their nerves and who will never probably be the best of the best, but who could certainly win some international medals and go to the WC in the future.

I totally agree with it :D Nicely said. Agnes is not a bad skater, she just doesn't have chance to develop. I hope my country would give such a chance :)