Kostner to sit out 2014-15 season | Golden Skate

Kostner to sit out 2014-15 season

sillylionlove

Medalist
Don't see this posted anywhere but Carolina announced on her Facebook page a little while ago that she will not compete this season. She will be devoting her time to university, ice shows and friends. She told her followers to read the article coming out in the Italian edition of Vogue magazine for more information.

I would post the link but I'm on my phone and it doesn't want to work this morning.

minze

Medalist
She will be missed. Sorry to say this, but without Yuna, mao, caro and akiko figure skating wont be the same. I love some of the newbies but it will take time fir them to match the elegance, grace and presence of the above mentioned. With that said, I am happy for Caro because she has earned her break/retirement. I dont see her and Mao coming back. I suspect they dont want to use the word retierement due to their endorsements.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Don't see this posted anywhere but Carolina announced on her Facebook page a little while ago that she will not compete this season. She will be devoting her time to university, ice shows and friends. She told her followers to read the article coming out in the Italian edition of Vogue magazine for more information. ...

Thx for the news, SLL. The Italian edition of Vanity Fair, not Vogue, will have an article, per Kostner's FB post.

Cari amici, ho deciso di non gareggiare questa stagione e di dedicarmi agli spettacoli (Intimissi on Ice- Opera Pop), all'università ed ai miei amici! Su Vanity Fair, in edicola da oggi, potete leggere di più! ~ Dear friends, I decided not to compete this season and commit myself to on ice shows (like Intimissimi on Ice - Opera Pop), university and friends! On Vanity Fair Italia, today you will be able to read more about it!
https://www.facebook.com/carolinakostner/posts/10154247417200024

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Carolina will definitely be missed! It took me a while to come around to Carolina, but I have really come to appreciate her in the last few years.

So with Caro out, the seeds for GP are as follows:

#1: Julia (2nd)
#2: Anna (4th)
#3 Gracie (5th)
#4 Ashley (7th)
#5 Polina (8th)
#6 So Yeon (9th)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm glad that Caro fulfilled the potential she showed early in her career and was able to win a world title and an Olympic medal with four fantastic performances. I don't think she will come back because, although she was great at the Olympics, the consistency over the duration of the season wasn't there as it was in the previous few seasons. I think with her age it will be harder for her to regain her peak form.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carolina will definitely be missed! It took me a while to come around to Carolina, but I have really come to appreciate her in the last few years.

So with Caro out, the seeds for GP are as follows:

#1: Julia (2nd)
#2: Anna (4th)
#3 Gracie (5th)
#4 Ashley (7th)
#5 Polina (8th)
#6 So Yeon (9th)

To me this is as sad as it is exciting. The guard has officially changed. Not to any one skater but rather the official launch of a new era. So much will be missed and yet there is still so much left to enjoy.

Congrats to Carolina for such a great career. If indeed it is over I suspect she has no regrets. Truely one of a kind :bow:

desertskates

Medalist
I'm not at all surprised. I'll really miss her, she's been fun to follow for the last 10 or so years. But with the tremendous Olympics she turned in, saying "see ya later" is probably the right thing to do.

anyanka

Record Breaker
The fact that she was able to medal from 2005 to 2014 - a full decade!! - is in and of itself amazing. She's grown and matured into one of the most lyrical, polished, accomplished skaters of her generation, and if you look at the last quad alone the most successful (literally 24 events in a row where she medaled!). Plus, she won an Olympic medal at 27, almost ten years after so many of the top skaters reach their full potential. I for one will miss her very much. Also, that Vanity Fair spread is great, how soon before she gets her own Vogue Italia cover?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Same here! As Minze2001 said, it will take a while before the younger women achieve that level of elegance. Caro has had a wonderful career; wishing her much success and happiness going forward. :yay:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm not at all surprised. I'll really miss her, she's been fun to follow for the last 10 or so years. But with the tremendous Olympics she turned in, saying "see ya later" is probably the right thing to do.

Yeah, I'm thrilled for her to get it together at the optimal time. Even upping her technical content during the Olympics in her SP. She was truly robbed of the gold medal in my opinion, but the important thing is that she finally delivered that perfect competition we always hoped she could do.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Carolina was one of the main highlights of this past quad for me. I truly developed a love for her style, artistry, elegance, grace and her ability to bring music to life. It took Carolina a long time to develop her stride but she's a wonderful example of a skater finding great success in their latter years and proof that just b/c you don't set the world ablaze when you're 15 or 16 doesn't mean that you won't eventually find your way and realize your potential.

Interesting note: she's the only skater to stand on the world podium every year of this past quad (2011 - 3rd, 2012 - 1st, 2013 - 2nd, 2014 - 3rd).

I'm going to miss Carolina. I do feel that this is it for her (and Mao too) and that we won't be seeing them on competitive ice again.

Now the path is officially 100% open for this post-Sochi crowd to claim the top spots. It's going to be exciting though I do agree it's going to be some years before we see the kind of depth, elegance and maturity that skaters like Carolina, Mao, Yu-Na and Akiko brought to the sport. So many of the skaters are still very young and very much in that development stage in terms of finding their skating voice/style. Artistically, I feel there will be a slump in the ladies field this year but eventually they will all catch up...hopefully.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
While Carolina has been up-and-down from beginning to end (culminating in Worlds 2014 with the flawless SP and unfortunate LP--right after I thought she'd finally gained the consistency/momentum over Mao, too... :cry:), I truly respect her longevity, determination, and ability to rise from the ashes every time. It's incredible that she has managed to stay competitive for ten years, and deliver two flawless Olympic performances at 27. Truly an inspiration to skaters everywhere.

I wish her all the best in the future, whether she decides to retire or come back (though the latter looks unlikely).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Carolina was one of the main highlights of this past quad for me. I truly developed a love for her style, artistry, elegance, grace and her ability to bring music to life. It took Carolina a long time to develop her stride but she's a wonderful example of a skater finding great success in their latter years and proof that just b/c you don't set the world ablaze when you're 15 or 16 doesn't mean that you won't eventually find your way and realize your potential.

Interesting note: she's the only skater to stand on the world podium every year of this past quad (2011 - 3rd, 2012 - 1st, 2013 - 2nd, 2014 - 3rd).

I'm going to miss Carolina. I do feel that this is it for her (and Mao too) and that we won't be seeing them on competitive ice again.

Now the path is officially 100% open for this post-Sochi crowd to claim the top spots. It's going to be exciting though I do agree it's going to be some years before we see the kind of depth, elegance and maturity that skaters like Carolina, Mao, Yu-Na and Akiko brought to the sport. So many of the skaters are still very young and very much in that development stage in terms of finding their skating voice/style. Artistically, I feel there will be a slump in the ladies field this year but eventually they will all catch up...hopefully.

This!

It has been a pleasure following Caro's career. For me she will always be the "Goddess on Ice".

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Carolina is a sentimental favorite
but I am hoping she never comes back and retires for good

we need more of the young, fresh girls, to take charge
its time for the new blood generation and out with the old generation

Alba

Record Breaker
Carolina is a sentimental favorite
but I am hoping she never comes back and retires for good

we need more of the young, fresh girls, to take charge
its time for the new blood generation and out with the old generation

Don't worry she wont.
What's wrong even if she and the rest of the "old generation" do come back though? It's not like they're stealing the spot to anyone.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Don't worry she wont.
What's wrong even if she and the rest of the "old generation" do come back though? It's not like they're stealing the spot to anyone.

its 2014, cant believe skaters who have been around longer than 2006 wil still be competing
they need to accept their glory days have long passed and should retire

ts time for the young, more technical, fresh skaters