Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kostner to sit out 2014-15 season

Custom Title
    While Carolina has been up-and-down from beginning to end (culminating in Worlds 2014 with the flawless SP and unfortunate LP--right after I thought she'd finally gained the consistency/momentum over Mao, too... ), I truly respect her longevity, determination, and ability to rise from the ashes every time. It's incredible that she has managed to stay competitive for ten years, and deliver two flawless Olympic performances at 27. Truly an inspiration to skaters everywhere.

I wish her all the best in the future, whether she decides to retire or come back (though the latter looks unlikely).

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Carolina was one of the main highlights of this past quad for me. I truly developed a love for her style, artistry, elegance, grace and her ability to bring music to life. It took Carolina a long time to develop her stride but she's a wonderful example of a skater finding great success in their latter years and proof that just b/c you don't set the world ablaze when you're 15 or 16 doesn't mean that you won't eventually find your way and realize your potential.

Interesting note: she's the only skater to stand on the world podium every year of this past quad (2011 - 3rd, 2012 - 1st, 2013 - 2nd, 2014 - 3rd).

I'm going to miss Carolina. I do feel that this is it for her (and Mao too) and that we won't be seeing them on competitive ice again.

Now the path is officially 100% open for this post-Sochi crowd to claim the top spots. It's going to be exciting though I do agree it's going to be some years before we see the kind of depth, elegance and maturity that skaters like Carolina, Mao, Yu-Na and Akiko brought to the sport. So many of the skaters are still very young and very much in that development stage in terms of finding their skating voice/style. Artistically, I feel there will be a slump in the ladies field this year but eventually they will all catch up...hopefully.
    This!

It has been a pleasure following Caro's career. For me she will always be the "Goddess on Ice".

Banned
    Carolina is a sentimental favorite
    but I am hoping she never comes back and retires for good

we need more of the young, fresh girls, to take charge
    its time for the new blood generation and out with the old generation

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Carolina is a sentimental favorite
    but I am hoping she never comes back and retires for good

we need more of the young, fresh girls, to take charge
    its time for the new blood generation and out with the old generation
    Don't worry she wont.
    What's wrong even if she and the rest of the "old generation" do come back though? It's not like they're stealing the spot to anyone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Don't worry she wont.
    What's wrong even if she and the rest of the "old generation" do come back though? It's not like they're stealing the spot to anyone.
    its 2014, cant believe skaters who have been around longer than 2006 wil still be competing
    they need to accept their glory days have long passed and should retire

ts time for the young, more technical, fresh skaters

Custom Title
    I don't see Carolina continuing. The new girls PCS will continue to climb and that's the only big advantage that Carolina had but she was already having trouble keeping up with the jumps of the younger girls and was having some bad moments last season until the Olympics and then bombing her LP at Worlds. Now would be the perfect time to retire.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I don't see Carolina continuing. The new girls PCS will continue to climb and that's the only big advantage that Carolina had but she was already having trouble keeping up with the jumps of the younger girls and was having some bad moments last season until the Olympics and then bombing her LP at Worlds. Now would be the perfect time to retire.
    agreed and she isn't getting younger either
    along with it, her jumps will start to diminish

its 2014, cant believe skaters who have been around longer than 2006 wil still be competing
    they need to accept their glory days have long passed and should retire

ts time for the young, more technical, fresh skaters
    These things happen in a natural manner. A cycle is closed another one opens.

On the Ice
    Is there ANYONE who is getting younger?

Quote Originally Posted by Moxiejan View Post
    Is there ANYONE who is getting younger?

In a movie only. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421715/

Tripping on the Podium
    She will be missed as the lady skater with possibly the best footwork sequence. I think her mastery over the step sequence is second to none, with perhaps only Mao Asada coming close. That straight line footwork sequence in Bolero Winter Olympics 2014 LP has got to be Kostner at her very best complexity plus speed and edge control.

Custom Title
    For more than 8 years she had big trouble with her Lutz, abandoned it completely for 2 seasons and for the last two years it suddenly became her +2 money jump....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2