Alissa Czisny retires from competition | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny retires from competition

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/06/19/80427076
Icenetwork: In January, after your withdrawal from the 2014 Midwestern sectionals, you said that the future is still uncertain to you, adding that you definitely want to continue skating through performing in shows. Has your attitude changed at all?
Czisny: After withdrawing from this qualifying season, I still entertained the idea that I could possibly compete next season, should I regain my full capabilities and improve beyond that. However, given the increasingly difficult requirements of amateur competition (and the fact that I'm now considered "old" for a skater), I feel that it is best for me to pursue skating in a different direction. I still love the sport, and I still love skating and performing. I am sad that I won't be competing any longer -- as it's been a part of my life since I was very young -- but I'm looking forward to the new opportunities in my skating career and in other avenues of life!

Not a huge surprise, but this makes it official, basically.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is defiantly the end of an era with Kostner saying she's sitting out this season which is basically a retirement and now Alissa retiring and Mao sitting out and Yuna, Akiko and Miki also retiring. It's now the new guards turn.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think the heartbreak of missing two Olympic squads in a row, when she was the defending national champion in one and had a lot of potential in the second (despite her injuries) was too big a a burden to carry. She's a beautiful skater, I hope she finds success with her next endeavour!

Thank you Alyssa, take a bow!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think the heartbreak of missing two Olympic squads in a row, when she was the defending national champion in one and had a lot of potential in the second (despite her injuries) was too big a a burden to carry.

Realistically she was never going to go beyond 2014. It was already a big effort for her to even try and stay in for 2014 (even had she not had her significant injuries, which made it all the more difficult). I doubt if she made the 2010 team she would have even stuck around for 2014, but not making that team, having a great 2010-2011 season and a good start to the 2011-2012 season, and the U.S having 3 spots for 2014, was the only carrot that kept her in until now.

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I have always liked Alyssa. I wish her all the luck and happiness in her future endeavors. I think it is time.

desertskates

Medalist
Not at all surprised. I'll miss her and am sorry that injuries forced her out before she felt in her heart she was ready to go. She brought suck a special elegance to the sport, and exits with some pretty impressive accomplishments. I'm sure she'll succeed with flying colors at whatever she puts her efforts into next. :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
her injuries and bad jump techniques were a fatal combination
her elegance on the ice will be missed

I will also miss her but think that she made the right choice considering her physical condition. As Sky says, her bad jump techniques combine with the injuries (and probably helped aggravate them) to make it a bad idea for her to continue. Maybe she'll skate in shows or in other pro venues. What a gracious presence on the ice.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I think the heartbreak of missing two Olympic squads in a row, when she was the defending national champion in one and had a lot of potential in the second (despite her injuries) was too big a a burden to carry. She's a beautiful skater, I hope she finds success with her next endeavour!

Thank you Alyssa, take a bow!

Not only 2010 and 2014, but 2006. With 3 spots and Kwan out with injury, a spot was there for the taking for Czisny, who had just won a gold and a silver on the GP, and was the only American woman to make the GPF that season. Sadly, she had a bad nationals.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not at all surprised. I'll miss her and am sorry that injuries forced her out before she felt in her heart she was ready to go. She brought such a special elegance to the sport, and exits with some pretty impressive accomplishments. I'm sure she'll succeed with flying colors at whatever she puts her efforts into next. :)

I will miss her competitively, but hope she gets to do lots of shows. A lovely, thoughtful person, with spins to die for! :love:

yude

Record Breaker
I remember many young Japanese skaters mentioned her name when they asked who their favorite skater was (in a Japanese TV program. I searched for it on YT but I couldn't find it). They adore Alissa's spins and beautiful moves.

Good luck, Alissa!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wish Alyssa well; she is a beautiful skater minus the jumps. I do think this was the inevitable. She maybe tried to hold on longer than she should have but that is understandable being human nature - she had a dream Olympic glory; it didn't happen. I thought she might have won a world medal but her jmps, injuries, nerves and consistensy got herin trouble. She is almost like the poor person's Sasha Cohen but still what a lovely skater.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Personally, i prefer Alissa as a show skater over Cohen. I've seen both in shows, and Alissa skates like she loves it and means it. Sasha phoned it in both times I saw her. Looked totally bored.

noskates

Record Breaker
As beautiful as ALISSA is, I really didn't like watching her skate. Much for the same reason I didn't enjoy watching Sasha skate. You were always just waiting for the fall! And rarely were you disappointed!

I agree that she is a beautiful show skater and demonstrates her love of the sport. ALISSA is another case of "if only!" I wish her well.