Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner's popularity

Hybrid View

Ashley Wagner's popularity

I think we have no polls but maybe I don't know where they are. Ashley seems to get criticism I find unwarranted. Her pros as a skater for me include great musicality versatility enabling her to skate and dance to much music as her sp and lp showed so well. I find her the most complete artist left on the scene with grace coming on fast. Cesario is among my top five exciting skaters to watch.

I can't help but think her personality causes negativity and the judges register their dislike in her marks. She was screwed in Sochi. Like flatt 5th place would have been fair. I agree she can come across abrasive and talks big but so do many men and they are not penalized. I started this thread to get a sense of her popularity and secondarily why you like her or not. Off ice behavior has ruined the hopes of many a would be ice princess.

Lastly this is a beautiful girl second to none I have seen over the years. It is sad to hear she is old and lacks Hollywood beauty. I really support her as she works so hard had tough breaks with mills who was her perfect choreo and she was skewered after nationals. She has self loathing but showed us she belonged. I was once a huge mirai fan and mite be again but Ashley was so maligned.

I hope people will weigh in as fan or non fan and explain why. She will be number two lady or. Number one maybe again. True thoughts?

I have enjoyed her evolution. Double footing does not take away all she does do so very wel out there.

Skateluvr is a Fan for life

Custom Title
    I think Ashley's done really well for the US ladies in the past few seasons, being a solid representation on the GP and GPF (she won 3 out of 4 GP events in the past 2 years, and medalled at both GPFs). She's also getting quite a bit of harsh criticism for not having a reliable 3-3, when the reality is, she brought it back this season to be more competitive and while she struggled with it in the 2nd half of the season, she did have occasional success with it, which is to be commended. Also commendable is her sticking with it, when a 3F+2T would garner her more points (and indeed, 5th at Worlds had she opted for that instead of a 3F+3T<< in the SP -- she would have been 4th after the SP in Sochi too had she gone for a clean 3-2). I think she is screwed by the judges, but her own stubbornness to not play it safe has occasionally screwed her over this past half of the season too.

It's pretty pathetic that people are writing her off, especially having been one of the GPF medalists, and a winner of a GP this year. She bombed US Nationals so she gets a lot of flack for keeping Mirai out of Sochi (not that Mirai showed the level of consistency Wagner showed the whole season up until then...). She worked hard though to redeem herself, and even got a personal best FS at Worlds 2014. So, to write her off after she just got a personal best is pretty irrational - although I suppose people also jeer at Sotnikova, saying she'll never replicate Sochi. Haters gonna hate, as they say.

As far as being old and lacking Hollywood beauty, those are just the musings of certain superficial hags who have nothing better to do than bash athletes who are more successful/athletic/beautiful than they will ever be.

Ashley will be just fine. And yes, as you said, double footing doesn't change the fact that she at least puts out interesting programs and exudes personality and attitude instead of being a superficial prim and prop ice princess.

Custom Title
    Having met Ashley recently I found her to be beautiful, very, very nice, and quite approachable. She's actually very tiny in person, has a beautiful smile, and is quite gracious. I think what did her in with a lot of people on this board is the fact that she made so many statements prior to this year's competitions about winning medals, not being satisfied with anything but, etc. etc. and then could only manage a Bronze at Nats. Then, which wasn't her fault, she gets chosen to go to Sochi over Mirai and everyone feels SOOOO sorry for poor Mirai that opinion turned against Ashley. Forget the hard work Ashley has put in or how she's represented the US the last couple of years!!! I do not believe for one nanosecond that Mirai would have come close to Ashley's placements at either the Olympics or Worlds. BUT - because she didn't bring home a medal (I guess top 10 Internationally isn't worth much?) she's a "has been!"

I just have a problem with the people that attack a skater's personality, etc. It should be all about the skating. They don't train to give interviews or sound bites and yet they're criticized outrageously because they aren't articulate enough or whatever. On the other hand, there are male skaters out there with egos bigger than Rhode Island and they're okay.....but let a female skater show a little ego and the ol' double standard kicks in.

I'm not a huge fan of Ashley's skating but I really hope she kicks the proverbial butt next season!

Banned
    Wagner is only as popular as overhype

her peak was in 2012, Wagner is done. the coming seasons Edmunds, Karen, Amber even Mirai will all pass her

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Having met Ashley recently I found her to be beautiful, very, very nice, and quite approachable. She's actually very tiny in person, has a beautiful smile, and is quite gracious. I think what did her in with a lot of people on this board is the fact that she made so many statements prior to this year's competitions about winning medals, not being satisfied with anything but, etc. etc. and then could only manage a Bronze at Nats.
    Ashely won the pewter medal at nationals, not the bronze.

Custom Title
    Sorry. Big mistake. And I was there.

Custom Title
    She was never my favorite, but I like how she was the only skater who did not toe the line last summer when the US squad was asked about the anti-gay laws in Russia, and she made her position and her feelings on it loud and clear. I respect her candidness and honesty. When she made that face at the team event SP I actually liked her even more, actually! While it's best for skaters to be calm and professional, her reaction was a breath of fresh air. It wasn't meant to be a diss against the judges directly IMO, she knew she didn't perform very well. When the general public and media turned against her after nationals I felt for her. Overall she didn't have the best season but she still got to perform at the Olympics, medaled on the GP series and brought home a team bronze from Sochi.

She'll be "old" by this sport's standards by 2018 and I don't see her going to those games, but in the next year or two, if she chooses to close out her career, I hope she does so on a high note.

Custom Title
    For those who wail on her for going to Worlds instead of Mirai, the US would have only 2 spots next year given that Mirai herself wouldn't have placed top 8 at Worlds (heck she wasn't even top 9 at 4CC).

Custom Title
    I think people find Ashley polarising because she's a well rounder skater (middle of the pile, but can hold her own among the best). But more importantly- she's a fully realised person. She knows what she's about, she has opinions which she expresses whenever she wants, she's not a drone. People find that quality refreshing while the rest still want to pretend FS is a pageant where everyone should be a 'packaged' and PR-friendly.

The whole debacle over her inclusion in the team was just absurd. She was always going to be in the team. She needed to be in the team, otherwise the US team would have faltered. Yes Polina proved herself and so did Gracie- but those two performances should have been outweighed by Ashley's body of work anyway. Plus Mirai would have faltered. She showed signs of return but Mirai at the time wasn't any better than Zijun Li having a meltdown.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
    I think people find Ashley polarising because she's a well rounder skater (middle of the pile, but can hold her own among the best). But more importantly- she's a fully realised person. She knows what she's about, she has opinions which she expresses whenever she wants, she's not a drone. People find that quality refreshing while the rest still want to pretend FS is a pageant where everyone should be a 'packaged' and PR-friendly.

The whole debacle over her inclusion in the team was just absurd. She was always going to be in the team. She needed to be in the team, otherwise the US team would have faltered. Yes Polina proved herself and so did Gracie- but those two performances should have been outweighed by Ashley's body of work anyway. Plus Mirai would have faltered. She showed signs of return but Mirai at the time wasn't any better than Zijun Li having a meltdown.
    Nothing scarier to a certain group of people than a woman with an opinion.

Tripping on the Podium
    I am not a fan but I respect how she carried herself during that selection nightmare.

I don't love Marai. I respect her. My favorite skater is actually Gracie Gold.

As to the point of the Super Bowl and other sports, Skating is an Olympic Sport and uses Nationals as an Olympic trial. In any other sport (let's say swimming) that isn't a team sport like soccer or basketball, they use the placements of the Olympic trial to determine the team and don't intervene unless a hopeful who is world ranked is injured. If they don't place, tough bananas, better luck next time. Some of those hopefuls are famous and are even the main marketing faces of the federation. Skating is the only sport I know of that will replace a skater due to politics and ignore the supposed Olympic trial's placements. What happened to Marai was dead wrong to everybody involved and I don't care if they thought Ashley would place higher, tough bananas, better luck next time don't bomb at Nats.

Custom Title
    I've been very open about being a total Ashley-fan. Have been since 2007, so long before she even won her first Nationals. The reason I became a fan? Her sassy smile and open, heart-on-sleeve personality coupled with the fact that she exudes passion for skating. I've observed Ashley's results under first Shirley Hughes, then Priscilla Hill, John Nicks and finally, Artunian. John Nicks and Philip Mills are the ones that brought her to the top, they found a way to channel raw musicality and grace into a good on-ice package as well as clean up and boost a lot (not all) of the technical content. I understand why she's known for being a 'two-footer', but I really think she does it a lot less every season. I also believe Artunian does a good job, though I miss John Nicks, her 'yoda'.
    For the upcoming season I feel she should play the "true woman, veteran skater, unique personality and grace" card to compete with the teeny girls that reel off triple-triples. I'm not automatically assuming that would work as well as it did for Carolina, because they *are* very different skaters, but if Ashley also manages to skate clean, hopefully with a triple-triple, she could be successful and reach some her longtime goals.
    As to her having opinions and talking big - I sometimes think she should be careful not to piss off the wrong people. But she's very sincere and she's not arrogant in the way someone like PChan is or completely PR-ignorant like Abbott. I can only speak from my own experiences, but on the occasions I did meet her, she's been absolutely charming to her fans.

Tripping on the Podium
    So here is my impression of Ashley after meeting her at Nationals this year:
    She stayed after the pre-arranged media photo op/autograph signing to take photos with fans while the other ladies left. My partner was so nervous, he couldn't get the photo without it being blurry, and had to retake it several times. She was gracious, funny, and stayed for the photos even though she could have left after he snapped the first one. I had a brief conversation with her....and I thought she was a sweetheart!
    I was a fan before...and became more of one after.

Custom Title
    Ashley seems to be a very sweet person from what's been said about her in meet & greets, but the truth is majority of fans only way to gain an opinion about her via interviews... which is Ashley's 'weakness', in interviews she comes across as fairly obnoxious.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast