Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner's popularity

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
    I think people find Ashley polarising because she's a well rounder skater (middle of the pile, but can hold her own among the best). But more importantly- she's a fully realised person. She knows what she's about, she has opinions which she expresses whenever she wants, she's not a drone. People find that quality refreshing while the rest still want to pretend FS is a pageant where everyone should be a 'packaged' and PR-friendly.

The whole debacle over her inclusion in the team was just absurd. She was always going to be in the team. She needed to be in the team, otherwise the US team would have faltered. Yes Polina proved herself and so did Gracie- but those two performances should have been outweighed by Ashley's body of work anyway. Plus Mirai would have faltered. She showed signs of return but Mirai at the time wasn't any better than Zijun Li having a meltdown.
    Nothing scarier to a certain group of people than a woman with an opinion.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87 View Post
    Nothing scarier to a certain group of people than a woman with an opinion.

It truly is. I have to wonder if the small minority of people criticizing Ashley for having "entitlement issues" feel the same way about all women who are outspoken, know what they want and aren't afraid to go for it

Medalist
    I'm a little confused about Ashley's work ethic because I always thought that she was an example of hard work compensating for a relative lack of natural talent (i.e. the opposite of Mirai Nagasu's reputation). IIRC Ashley herself has talked about how she knows she isn't as naturally talented as some other skaters but that she could outwork them (in her TSL interview, I think).

and yet this Rafael Arutunian interview from Absolute Skating seems to suggest otherwise:

You were in Sochi with Ashley Wagner. She was in a difficult situation after finishing fourth at US Nationals. How did you help her survive all the media pressure and be at her best for the Olympics?
    What we did is that we concentrated on her for 2-3 weeks. And she received the best attention. But if she wants to compete and be the best, she cannot rely on only 2-3 weeks. Her training must be done at the highest level all year long. I don’t really read a lot of what they say and write. We concentrated on what we were able to do, and everything had to be done in the best way, down to the smallest detail. In sports there is no irrelevant detail; all details are important. If you ignore the small details, they will hit you back. So always make everything perfect - they way you train, the way you live, how far you live from the ice rink, who teaches you, and who does your choreography. It’s not perfect every time, not even in the USA.

What is her best quality as a skater?
    I think it’s her performance, the way she performs. Technically she needs to develop and she needs to change her work ethic; she needs to work more, which is difficult, but I think that it’s not too late to change that.

Custom Title
    I'm a little confused about Ashley's work ethic because I always thought that she was an example of hard work compensating for a relative lack of natural talent (i.e. the opposite of Mirai Nagasu's reputation). IIRC Ashley herself has talked about how she knows she isn't as naturally talented as some other skaters but that she could outwork them (in her TSL interview, I think).
    I think Ashley is just different than many other skaters. I mean, she's totally opposite to Japanese skaters, even to Gracie and Polina. She has her own style and many people can call it "lack of talent". You know, she just doesn't meet the standards, she's creating the new ones And I think she's absolutely aware of this. And maybe Artunian wants her skating to be more fluent, more "classical" if you know what I mean. She was working hard to pleased of herself and she wants to work even harder to please the judges. It's just an idea

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Oh right forgot about her, lol. Well the fact remains that Ashley still was the better representative.

There is really no way of knowing that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Coltrocks12 View Post
    Marai Nagasu
    Okay, this really annoys me. You seemingly worship Mirai and hate Ashley in every post on this board and yet you can't even give Mirai the respect of spelling her name right. For goodness' sake, it's not even a difficult name.

Tripping on the Podium
    I am not a fan but I respect how she carried herself during that selection nightmare.

I don't love Marai. I respect her. My favorite skater is actually Gracie Gold.

As to the point of the Super Bowl and other sports, Skating is an Olympic Sport and uses Nationals as an Olympic trial. In any other sport (let's say swimming) that isn't a team sport like soccer or basketball, they use the placements of the Olympic trial to determine the team and don't intervene unless a hopeful who is world ranked is injured. If they don't place, tough bananas, better luck next time. Some of those hopefuls are famous and are even the main marketing faces of the federation. Skating is the only sport I know of that will replace a skater due to politics and ignore the supposed Olympic trial's placements. What happened to Marai was dead wrong to everybody involved and I don't care if they thought Ashley would place higher, tough bananas, better luck next time don't bomb at Nats.

Custom Title
    I don't love Marai. I respect her.
    Well if you "respect" her, then how about you show her the respect of SPELLING HER NAME RIGHT. I'm sorry but deliberately continuing to mis-spell her name is the ultimate form of disrespect.

Custom Title
    I like Ashley very much. With Mao, Yuna, and Carolina out, she is one of the most engaging performers left in the ladies' field. I love how she into her programs on the attack, and how much sass and fire she shows. Her Samson & Delilah program really showcased this, and I hope her future programs will do the same. Her candid off-ice personality only enhances this and makes me like her more. Same goes for the whole Sochi debacle. Nationals being the sole selection criterion never made sense to me. Ashley earned her spot with years of solid skating. If Mirai wanted to go so badly, then maybe she should've skated well on a regular basis, instead of once every four years.

Yes, Ashley needs to improve her tech, but I wouldn't write her off any more than I'd predict Olympic medals for Gracie or Polina.

Also, not that this matters, but if I must address it: Ashley is absolutely beautiful and I'm confused why anyone would think otherwise.

On the Ice
    Skating is the only sport I know of that will replace a skater due to politics and ignore the supposed Olympic trial's placements.
    It's not exactly the same situation, but in gymnastics there is an Olympic trials that is separate from the National competition. And they do not pick the automatic top 5 (or 6, depending on how large the team can be) men and women. The selection committee uses the trials as a demonstration but makes an announcement on the team later. Now, this is mainly done because they are trying to pick the best possible team, and they occasionally need to choose gymnasts who are good at a particular apparatus to make sure the team as a whole is well-rounded on all events, but the fact remains that you can place 3rd or 4th in the trials and not be put on a 5 person team.

Also, I don't really get why people have such a hard time with the idea that placement at Nationals does not automatically = on the Olympic team. It is a national competition, but it is not called the Olympic trials. Other sports have a specific competition called "Olympic trials" that is often separate from Nationals. Figure skating does not have this. Also, the USFSA said before Nationals that the placements would not necessarily be the eventual team members. Granted, most casual viewers would have no idea of this, but if you care enough to be more than a casual viewer this was not a secret.

Banned
    My two cents. Harding without the jumps and lead pipe.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    My two cents. Harding without the jumps and lead pipe.
    Wagner has more musicality and style in one finger than Harding had in her entire career. They are totally different skaters. If anything I'd compare Wagner more to a Jill Trenary whose jump landings also suffered when she got nervous but whose performance never did. It's clear that you just dislike American skaters and are looking to tear down Wagner with that comment but there's no need to go for a low blow that has no basis in reality.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    To the OP's point about how Ashley is recieved I'll say this. Ashley is very abrasive and carries herself in an almost polarizing way. I think that is why she is so well recieved by some and kind of puts others off. To me it's fine and makes for but I can see how her attitude both on and off ice isn't well recieved by all.

I said it on another thread but I really hope she puts on a bit more of an endearing program this year. I suggested Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley because I consider her a very powerful skater and the contrast from such a light yet powerful song mixed with deep edges and powerful emotion could capture some hearts next season. Sometimes beautiful music = beautiful skater in the eyes of fans. It would take a powerful display of skating to not be overshadowed by the music but the vocals on that particular song act more like an instrument which make it perfect IMO for competitive skating. Clearly a gamble too which might payoff big for her and prove to be wise at this point in her career. I guess what I'm saying is she needs to maybe stop trying to prove to the world both on and off the ice that there is a place for her and instead just skate her way into people's hearts. Carolina was a master in selling herself as a veteran and someone to root for. I like that approach much better for someone at this point in their career.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    There is really no way of knowing that.
    Ashley who has been competing on the senior circuit for years including a 4CC win, 2 GPF medals and GP wins vs Polina who was a newbie to senior competitions and Mirai who has been inconsistent these past few years? It was way too risky for the USFS to depend on Polina to place high enough after Gracie for 3 spots. Like I'm glad Polina placed so well at her first senior internationals but Ashley was the better bet for the #2 woman who can help keep 3 spots for the US.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast