Originally Posted by Mathman
But didn't the backlash re the Nagasu/Wagner decision start as soon as the announcement of the U.S. ladies for Sochi was made in Boston at midday on Sunday?
Originally Posted by flutzy13
The men's FS did not start until Sunday afternoon (ETA: in other words, after the announcement of the ladies for Sochi) -- and the official presser announcing Abbott and Brown as the men for Sochi did not take place until Sunday evening.
Jason Brown has said that even after winning the silver in Boston, he did not assume that he would be going to Sochi. He was well aware that because of the criteria other than Nats, he could not be certain until he received the official text message that he had been selected. But surely his awareness was only heightened by Nagasu's fate, which already had been announced several hours earlier.
That said, I just wish that a third Sochi slot had been available for Max. And that a third Worlds slot had been available for Brown.
Given that the official USFS criteria for the Olympics and for Worlds were different, I think that USFS made the right call to divide the assignments between the two men.
(Although I think it is fair to say that Max had seemed like one of the frontrunners for Sochi, I do not think he generally was considered to be a lock. I remember an autumn interview in which the reporter asked a question referring to the Games as if Max definitely would compete there. Max began his answer by saying (I'm paraphrasing), "I hope that I do make it to Sochi." He did not consider himself to be a lock, IMO.)