Ashley Wagner's popularity | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's popularity

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:agree: Nothing scarier to a certain group of people than a woman with an opinion.

As a woman known for her opinion, I find this quite true. In regards to Ashley, I'm not sure if that's the issue. She's just abrasive & arrogant without the charm to make you love her anyway; its all scowl or smirk with her and its annoying. Add to the internet idea that she "stole" the Olympic spot from the exceptionally charming MiRai and you're gonna have issues.

She reminds me of Nancy Kerrigan in that way - another ice princess that always came across as entitled. And who also had the amazing talent of getting in front of a camera the minute she decided to throw a fit. Granted, post whack, US figure skating fans weren't allowed to say anything other than high praise for her.

But that's just my opinion.

noskates

Record Breaker
I see nothing abrasive or arrogant about Ashley! Having talked with her for awhile before SOI in San Jose I found her to be warm, polite, not aggressive and generally very gracious to the fans. Why is it wrong for her to have self-confidence when asked about her chances in Sochi or anywhere else? Do you want her to say "oh, I don't think I'll do very well because I keep messing up. I won't even medal!" If she doesn't have confidence in herself and her abilities - who will? Seems to me like there isn't one US skater that people on this board don't rip from stem to stern for pretty much any reason. And as for leaving Jeremy off the Olympic team - that just wasn't going to happen! I still feel without a doubt that the Oly team and the World team members were appropriate, although I would have loved to see Jason skate at Worlds. It also seems like it's time to move on from these pointless after-the-fact conversations.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I find her on ice demeanor to be quite abrasive, I just don't think it's a bad thing. She engages very strong and delivers her programs with conviction. I've never really thought of her as arrogant at all. I have several friends that have worked events/skated events that Ashley was at and everyone has said how nice and personal she was. I've never heard a complaint on a personal level.

Why is it wrong for her to have self-confidence when asked about her chances in Sochi or anywhere else? Do you want her to say "oh, I don't think I'll do very well because I keep messing up. I won't even medal!"

Quite the opposite at GPF. I remember some chatter here in December that Ashley seemed way to content to take bronze at GPF. Yulia was still establishing herself and Ashley had a good PCS advantage and not only lost position in the FS but she seemed content to just medal. I guess that's fine and dandy but if she were arrogant ,as people say, she would have been flipping over losing to such a young challenger but like I said and her interviews indicate...she was content to take 3rd.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
^Could you explain what's so abrasive and arrogant about Ashley? I'm not seeing it.

Sure, I am happy to explain. But let me clarify my meaning: I have no problem at all with arrogance and even abrasiveness from athletes, esp those who do not work within a team system. They spend way too much time alone working for perfection to be anything other than self absorbed. And that's just the truth.

With Ashley, she wears that arrogance like a chip on her shoulder. Her interviews come across as patronizing when she wins, and victimized when she doesn't. Because she skates with a certain harshness of expression, jumps landed translate as "HA! Recognize my greatness!" and falls are "Stupid ice! Why are you so mean to me?!?" After Nationals, her comments were "I just hope USFSA takes into account my record." or something like that with this expression that read as "I earned it, it's mine and I want it!!" and I just rolled my eyes.

Now, let's be clear, I am POSITIVE that in her real life, Ashley is a doll. But she could do with some media training. Also, it's a gift to have that natural ability to come across as humble and sweet in interviews. Just like its a gift to express your swagger. Or to project your joy of skating. Ashley just doesn't have those gifts. It doesn't make her less than a great champion, it just makes it hard to be a fan.

I would also throw in that US skating fans don't necessarily have the chance to meet top skaters in person so you can only judge what you see on the ice. For example, let's look at the last crop of dominate American skaters - 2002 US team: Kwan was renowned for her sweet, humble nature. Sasha for her swag. Sarah for her abundant joy.

None of these skaters were really like that: Kwan is a rock star and she's always known she's a rock star. And she always wore that like a mink coat. Sasha was just a tiny bundle of nervous energy and probably the sweetest out of the bunch. And it wasn't surprising that Sarah went on to study medicine because of her serious, exacting nature.

I would also assume that US fans are so hungry for a champion to rival those ghosts of skating past that harsher eyes are cast on Ashley because she hasn't delivered. Which is totally unfair but the reality. Add onto that she doesn't connect well, and you get this difference of opinion among the hardcore fans.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
So your problem is more that Ashley can't, at the moment, express either swagger or humbleness in a way that is endearing to the audience? Fair enough, this is very subjective.

I'm not a big interview junkie, so I admit don't know too much about how Ashley comes across in those. I did watch her interview with TSL, which I thought was quite entertaining. She comes across as sassy, but also capable of self-deprecation, which I found more amusing than just a sweet PC interview. And her comments about gay rights before Sochi also made me think well of her. Whether or not you agree with her beliefs, I give credit to a person who dares to voice them, rather than just hiding behind USFSA like all the other skaters.

After Nationals, her comments were "I just hope USFSA takes into account my record." or something like that with this expression that read as "I earned it, it's mine and I want it!!" and I just rolled my eyes.
But she's right. She did earn it through years of good skating. They should take into account her record, and they did.

You make an interesting point about past US skaters. I get the sense that, when Sasha first burst onto the scene, she was more of a diva figure (I mean this in a good way). But as time worn on, we all realized she was just a nervous young woman with beautiful performance skills but not enough competitive drive. As for Kwan, I remember watching one competition--can't remember which one because it was ages ago--where Michelle had to go first and then wait for all her rivals to go. In the end, she won anyway, but during the whole wait she looked like she was there for first place and first place only. I always got the sense that Michelle Kwan just hated to lose--and that was the reason for her success.

Hey Kwanfordwife, I just noticed your new custom signature. Welcome back! :rock:

See you at the Thanksgiving Day parade (with Meryl and Charlie as grand marshals. ;) )

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
So your problem is more that Ashley can't, at the moment, express either swagger or humbleness in a way that is endearing to the audience? Fair enough, this is very subjective.

But she's right. She did earn it through years of good skating. They should take into account her record, and they did.

You make an interesting point about past US skaters. I get the sense that, when Sasha first burst onto the scene, she was more of a diva figure (I mean this in a good way). But as time worn on, we all realized she was just a nervous young woman with beautiful performance skills but not enough competitive drive. As for Kwan, I remember watching one competition--can't remember which one because it was ages ago--where Michelle had to go first and then wait for all her rivals to go. In the end, she won anyway, but during the whole wait she looked like she was there for first place and first place only. I always got the sense that Michelle Kwan just hated to lose--and that was the reason for her success.

Nooo... My point is that she comes across as arrogant and she could do with some media and probably ballet training. Might as well get the whole branding piece together. And no, she didn't earn her spot to the Olympics - USFSA placed her on the team based on past performance. Earning that spot required her making the podium at Nationals. I get that you don't agree with my opinion but I stand by that.

And honey, Michelle Kwan was always about the win.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Nooo... My point is that she comes across as arrogant and she could do with some media and probably ballet training. Might as well get the whole branding piece together. And no, she didn't earn her spot to the Olympics - USFSA placed her on the team based on past performance. Earning that spot required her making the podium at Nationals. I get that you don't agree with my opinion but I stand by that. And honey, Michelle Kwan was always about the win.

I don't think she's arrogant but I will admit she has annoyed me a few times. I think she was delightful to watch in her TSL interview, she has a fun personality. On the other hand I was kind of put off by her post Nationals and Olympic attitude. I am old school and have the belief that if you can't compete with skaters from your own country how can you compete with the world. I was aware of the criteria of past competitions being considered and knew she wasn't going to fair well at the Olympics after being happy with a bronze at the GPF, especially since Yuna, Carolina, and even Gracie didn't compete there.

With that being said, I think her skating has some nice qualities. She is fiery skater and while she doesn't have many transitions she does have nice flow. When she is on her jumps are good, she had a great first half of the year with them. I wish Mirai had gone to Sochi and I especially think she should have went to Worlds, but I do recognize that Ashley helped gain 3 spots.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I don't think she's arrogant but I will admit she has annoyed me a few times. I think she was delightful to watch in her TSL interview, she has a fun personality. On the other hand I was kind of put off by her post Nationals and Olympic attitude. I am old school and have the belief that if you can't compete with skaters from your own country how can you compete with the world. I was aware of the criteria of past competitions being considered and knew she wasn't going to fair well at the Olympics after being happy with a bronze at the GPF, especially since Yuna, Carolina, and even Gracie didn't compete there.

With that being said, I think her skating has some nice qualities. She is fiery skater and while she doesn't have many transitions she does have nice flow. When she is on her jumps are good, she had a great first half of the year with them. I wish Mirai had gone to Sochi and I especially think she should have went to Worlds, but I do recognize that Ashley helped gain 3 spots.

This is what I'd say if I had MKW's tact...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Sorry, I just can't agree that Ashley is arrogant. What's she supposed to do? If she aims too high, she's arrogant; if she aims too low (e.g. being happy with bronze at GPF), she's not competitive. She's not going to please everybody.

I'm not interested in seeing athletes get "media training," and saying humble general platitudes they don't mean. What's she supposed to say after Nationals? "Send Mirai, I don't want to go"?? Ashley clearly had the best results of any of the US ladies this season leading up to Sochi. Especially with the new team event (one Jeremy Abbott was bad enough!), it's reasonable to send her, because she has proven herself more reliable than Mirai. You send the person who is a) more reliable for the team event b) is likely to place better. It's not like Mirai won nationals outright or something.

bronwynsings

Rinkside
Sorry, I just can't agree that Ashley is arrogant. What's she supposed to do? If she aims too high, she's arrogant; if she aims too low (e.g. being happy with bronze at GPF), she's not competitive. She's not going to please everybody.

I'm not interested in seeing athletes get "media training," and saying humble general platitudes they don't mean. What's she supposed to say after Nationals? "Send Mirai, I don't want to go"?? Ashley clearly had the best results of any of the US ladies this season leading up to Sochi. Especially with the new team event (one Jeremy Abbott was bad enough!), it's reasonable to send her, because she has proven herself more reliable than Mirai. You send the person who is a) more reliable for the team event b) is likely to place better. It's not like Mirai won nationals outright or something.

ITA with all of this. One of my favorite things about Ashley is that she speaks her mind. If she disagrees with something, she won't pretend it doesn't bother her and shrug it off. She will say something about it. Sure, sometimes she probably shouldn't be saying some things, but the fact remains that she isn't your typical pageant-y skater.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
ITA with all of this. One of my favorite things about Ashley is that she speaks her mind. If she disagrees with something, she won't pretend it doesn't bother her and shrug it off. She will say something about it. Sure, sometimes she probably shouldn't be saying some things, but the fact remains that she isn't your typical pageant-y skater.

I like that she is not the pageant type. I was annoyed with her a bit after the things she said after her performance in the Ladies event in Sochi. She stood up but was not perfect. I thought she was marked appropriately. PCS could have been a bit higher because she did sell the program but I don't think it would have made a difference.

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
So here is my impression of Ashley after meeting her at Nationals this year:
She stayed after the pre-arranged media photo op/autograph signing to take photos with fans while the other ladies left. My partner was so nervous, he couldn't get the photo without it being blurry, and had to retake it several times. She was gracious, funny, and stayed for the photos even though she could have left after he snapped the first one. I had a brief conversation with her....and I thought she was a sweetheart!
I was a fan before...and became more of one after.

Amei

Record Breaker
Ashley seems to be a very sweet person from what's been said about her in meet & greets, but the truth is majority of fans only way to gain an opinion about her via interviews... which is Ashley's 'weakness', in interviews she comes across as fairly obnoxious.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ashley seems to be a very sweet person from what's been said about her in meet & greets, but the truth is majority of fans only way to gain an opinion about her via interviews... which is Ashley's 'weakness', in interviews she comes across as fairly obnoxious.

That's certainly an opinion you're entitled to. Ashley is pretty blunt and honest... if her candidness comes across as obnoxious instead of being the prim, proper, pageanty princess that other skaters pretend to be for the cameras/interviews, then I'd rather she stay just the way she is. I don't find it obnoxious at all - if anything it's refreshing to hear an opinion that doesn't come across as rehearsed or saying it because it's the PC thing to say.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I found Ashley entertaining and saw clearly that Gracie loathed her. Gracie looked like She wished ash would just shut up. Gracie seemed dying to say she was number one. Ashley wants that title back. I expect a great rivalry this year amongst the top ladies.

^ I think your imagination is working overtime. ;)

I doubt that Gracie Gold "loathes" Ashley Wagner or anyone else. I do not know whether Gracie wishes Ashley would shut up or whether she couldn't care less what Ashley says or doesn't say. (My imagination says the latter. :) ) I doubt that Gracie is dying to say anything in particular. I do think that Gracie looks forward to the competitive season and that she envisions success. As does Ashley -- or so I imagine. :)

Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
That's certainly an opinion you're entitled to. Ashley is pretty blunt and honest... if her candidness comes across as obnoxious instead of being the prim, proper, pageanty princess that other skaters pretend to be for the cameras/interviews, then I'd rather she stay just the way she is. I don't find it obnoxious at all - if anything it's refreshing to hear an opinion that doesn't come across as rehearsed or saying it because it's the PC thing to say.

Agreed. That's one of the reasons I like Ashley so much. She's not afraid to express herself, whether people want to hear what she has to say or not. In figure skating it's so taboo for a female skater to behave as though they have brain of their own. Everything is smile and "I just want to do my best" and look pretty and prim and proper and give standard cookie cutter answers to any question. It's boring and trite and I'm over the ice princess skaters.

I love that Ashley speaks her mind and that she had confidence in herself and her abilities. Maybe her own image of herself is out of sync with what other people see but I like that she believes in herself. Ashley has a personality and I see that when she speaks. I love the Russian skaters b/c of their competitiveness and the way you can see that they are competitive--when they are unhappy with their performance or scores, you can see it. I like that. To me that makes them more interesting. Same goes for Ashley.