Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner's popularity

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I don't think she's arrogant but I will admit she has annoyed me a few times. I think she was delightful to watch in her TSL interview, she has a fun personality. On the other hand I was kind of put off by her post Nationals and Olympic attitude. I am old school and have the belief that if you can't compete with skaters from your own country how can you compete with the world. I was aware of the criteria of past competitions being considered and knew she wasn't going to fair well at the Olympics after being happy with a bronze at the GPF, especially since Yuna, Carolina, and even Gracie didn't compete there.

With that being said, I think her skating has some nice qualities. She is fiery skater and while she doesn't have many transitions she does have nice flow. When she is on her jumps are good, she had a great first half of the year with them. I wish Mirai had gone to Sochi and I especially think she should have went to Worlds, but I do recognize that Ashley helped gain 3 spots.
    This is what I'd say if I had MKW's tact...

Custom Title
    Sorry, I just can't agree that Ashley is arrogant. What's she supposed to do? If she aims too high, she's arrogant; if she aims too low (e.g. being happy with bronze at GPF), she's not competitive. She's not going to please everybody.

I'm not interested in seeing athletes get "media training," and saying humble general platitudes they don't mean. What's she supposed to say after Nationals? "Send Mirai, I don't want to go"?? Ashley clearly had the best results of any of the US ladies this season leading up to Sochi. Especially with the new team event (one Jeremy Abbott was bad enough!), it's reasonable to send her, because she has proven herself more reliable than Mirai. You send the person who is a) more reliable for the team event b) is likely to place better. It's not like Mirai won nationals outright or something.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Sorry, I just can't agree that Ashley is arrogant. What's she supposed to do? If she aims too high, she's arrogant; if she aims too low (e.g. being happy with bronze at GPF), she's not competitive. She's not going to please everybody.

I'm not interested in seeing athletes get "media training," and saying humble general platitudes they don't mean. What's she supposed to say after Nationals? "Send Mirai, I don't want to go"?? Ashley clearly had the best results of any of the US ladies this season leading up to Sochi. Especially with the new team event (one Jeremy Abbott was bad enough!), it's reasonable to send her, because she has proven herself more reliable than Mirai. You send the person who is a) more reliable for the team event b) is likely to place better. It's not like Mirai won nationals outright or something.
    ITA with all of this. One of my favorite things about Ashley is that she speaks her mind. If she disagrees with something, she won't pretend it doesn't bother her and shrug it off. She will say something about it. Sure, sometimes she probably shouldn't be saying some things, but the fact remains that she isn't your typical pageant-y skater.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    ITA with all of this. One of my favorite things about Ashley is that she speaks her mind. If she disagrees with something, she won't pretend it doesn't bother her and shrug it off. She will say something about it. Sure, sometimes she probably shouldn't be saying some things, but the fact remains that she isn't your typical pageant-y skater.
    I like that she is not the pageant type. I was annoyed with her a bit after the things she said after her performance in the Ladies event in Sochi. She stood up but was not perfect. I thought she was marked appropriately. PCS could have been a bit higher because she did sell the program but I don't think it would have made a difference.

Tripping on the Podium
    So here is my impression of Ashley after meeting her at Nationals this year:
    She stayed after the pre-arranged media photo op/autograph signing to take photos with fans while the other ladies left. My partner was so nervous, he couldn't get the photo without it being blurry, and had to retake it several times. She was gracious, funny, and stayed for the photos even though she could have left after he snapped the first one. I had a brief conversation with her....and I thought she was a sweetheart!
    I was a fan before...and became more of one after.

Custom Title
    Ashley seems to be a very sweet person from what's been said about her in meet & greets, but the truth is majority of fans only way to gain an opinion about her via interviews... which is Ashley's 'weakness', in interviews she comes across as fairly obnoxious.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    Ashley seems to be a very sweet person from what's been said about her in meet & greets, but the truth is majority of fans only way to gain an opinion about her via interviews... which is Ashley's 'weakness', in interviews she comes across as fairly obnoxious.
    That's certainly an opinion you're entitled to. Ashley is pretty blunt and honest... if her candidness comes across as obnoxious instead of being the prim, proper, pageanty princess that other skaters pretend to be for the cameras/interviews, then I'd rather she stay just the way she is. I don't find it obnoxious at all - if anything it's refreshing to hear an opinion that doesn't come across as rehearsed or saying it because it's the PC thing to say.

I found Ashley entertaining and saw clearly that Gracie loathed her. Gracie looked like She wished ash would just shut up. Gracie seemed dying to say she was number one. Ashley wants that title back. I expect a great rivalry this year amongst the top ladies.

^ I think your imagination is working overtime.

I doubt that Gracie Gold "loathes" Ashley Wagner or anyone else. I do not know whether Gracie wishes Ashley would shut up or whether she couldn't care less what Ashley says or doesn't say. (My imagination says the latter. ) I doubt that Gracie is dying to say anything in particular. I do think that Gracie looks forward to the competitive season and that she envisions success. As does Ashley -- or so I imagine.
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-06-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    That's certainly an opinion you're entitled to. Ashley is pretty blunt and honest... if her candidness comes across as obnoxious instead of being the prim, proper, pageanty princess that other skaters pretend to be for the cameras/interviews, then I'd rather she stay just the way she is. I don't find it obnoxious at all - if anything it's refreshing to hear an opinion that doesn't come across as rehearsed or saying it because it's the PC thing to say.
    Agreed. That's one of the reasons I like Ashley so much. She's not afraid to express herself, whether people want to hear what she has to say or not. In figure skating it's so taboo for a female skater to behave as though they have brain of their own. Everything is smile and "I just want to do my best" and look pretty and prim and proper and give standard cookie cutter answers to any question. It's boring and trite and I'm over the ice princess skaters.

I love that Ashley speaks her mind and that she had confidence in herself and her abilities. Maybe her own image of herself is out of sync with what other people see but I like that she believes in herself. Ashley has a personality and I see that when she speaks. I love the Russian skaters b/c of their competitiveness and the way you can see that they are competitive--when they are unhappy with their performance or scores, you can see it. I like that. To me that makes them more interesting. Same goes for Ashley.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ I think your imagination is working overtime.

I doubt that Gracie Gold "loathes" Ashley Wagner or anyone else. I do not know whether Gracie wishes Ashley would shut up or whether she couldn't care less what Ashley says or doesn't say. (My imagination says the latter. ) I doubt that Gracie is dying to say anything in particular. I do think that Gracie looks forward to the competitive season and that she envisions success. As does Ashley -- or so I imagine.
    Ashley and Gracie definitely do not like each other though, lol. After Nationals, when Ashley was announced to the Olympic team, Gracie clearly rolled her eyes. Also, Ashley's TSL interview shows that the feelings are mutual. I agree that Gracie wants to stay as number one and Ashley is hungry to get her title back. There really hasn't been a full-blown rivalry yet, but one might happen. They both better keep an eye out for Polina, though...

Tripping on the Podium
    I didn't get the sense that Ashley doesn't like Gracie, just that she finds it tacky to name a two arms over your head lutz after yourself when Rippon showed you how to do it. My opinion anyway.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    Ashley and Gracie definitely do not like each other though, lol. After Nationals, when Ashley was announced to the Olympic team, Gracie clearly rolled her eyes. Also, Ashley's TSL interview shows that the feelings are mutual. I agree that Gracie wants to stay as number one and Ashley is hungry to get her title back. There really hasn't been a full-blown rivalry yet, but one might happen. They both better keep an eye out for Polina, though...
    I know right. When Ashley was announced and went on and on about her Federation having confidence in her to name her to the team even with her bad Nationals performance Gracie was clearly not impressed. LOL I liked also how at the press conference after the LP how both Mirai and Polina made it clear they should be named to the team. Polina may have been only 15 but she was having none of it with people saying she was to young or inexperienced to go to Sochi. Like she said those 3 were the ones who got it done when it counted and she had been skating for over 13 years and her dream was always to make it too the Olympics too.

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I know right. When Ashley was announced and went on and on about her Federation having confidence in her to name her to the team even with her bad Nationals performance Gracie was clearly not impressed. LOL I liked also how at the press conference after the LP how both Mirai and Polina made it clear they should be named to the team. Polina may have been only 15 but she was having none of it with people saying she was to young or inexperienced to go to Sochi. Like she said those 3 were the ones who got it done when it counted and she had been skating for over 13 years and her dream was always to make it too the Olympics too.
    Wow, so much drama. Personally I like Ashley the way she is, very daring and brave.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast