Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner's popularity

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If you don't have a ego in sports you will never become a champion. These girls are not off saving small animals or hugging a tree they are ferocious competitors who want to win behind those beauty pageant smiles. You can't get to where Ashley or Gracie are by not being tough.
    There is a fine line between confidence and ego. A champion like Hanyu certainly hasn't exhibited any ego. Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi doesn't seem to have shown any either. Some skaters like to play the diva but I'd rather see the performances speak for themselves.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    There is a fine line between confidence and ego. A champion like Hanyu certainly hasn't exhibited any ego. Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi doesn't seem to have shown any either. Some skaters like to play the diva but I'd rather see the performances speak for themselves.
    You know who is ego-free? That Lebron James. What a mensch. Or that lovely Cristiano Ronaldo.

Being one of the world's best means you get to have an ego. As long as you're not a jerk about it and don't go around biting people (either figuratively or literally), I don't see what the problem is.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Hmm for all the vanilla, both MK and Kristi are very fierce competitors. MK never gives up on her programme even if she misses or is behind after her SP. Kristi? MK should be glad she turned pro soon after Calgary 92. Kristi would have given MK a big run for the money as America's sweetheart skater if she had continued as an amateur. The fiercest competitor though has got to be Katerina Witt. After her skate, she doesn't run into the locker room and hide but instead continue to stay by the rink and stare down her competition. For all her sultry sexiness, Witt must be one of the most renowned competitive skaters ever.

Sure, the ladies may not have the egos of Plushy or a Cristiano Ronaldo or Neymar but just a different way of showing their competitive streaks.

Down With It
    Make of it what you will, but Wagner had this to say at the end of an NBC piece where they had her analyze her free skate:

Paraphrasing here - maybe when I have more time I'll turn it into a direct transcript...but this should be very close

"I'm fist-pumping going home from Sochi, because....you know what, I had so many people saying 'You don't belong here', 'You don't deserve it'...and it's hard to hear anyone take away your Olympic dream...and I think I did a pretty good job of showing these people that I'm here, I'm happy to be here...and...I put out 3 clean performances, I was the only US lady to go clean, so...for anyone who doesn't think I belong here, take a look at that and have a nice day"
    ETA: Methinks the whole Wagner/Nagasu mess and all the negativity she dealt with in the lead-up made her uncharacteristically defensive throughout the entire Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Kristi? MK should be glad she turned pro soon after Calgary 92. Kristi would have given MK a big run for the money as America's sweetheart skater if she had continued as an amateur.
    Kristi and Michelle together in the same competition? But that would be too much like heaven on earth for the fans. Or at least like Mao Asada and Yuna Kim.

Custom Title
    Deleted

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Make of it what you will, but Wagner had this to say at the end of an NBC piece where they had her analyze her free skate:

Paraphrasing here - maybe when I have more time I'll turn it into a direct transcript...but this should be very close
    "I'm fist-pumping going home from Sochi, because....you know what, I had so many people saying 'You don't belong here', 'You don't deserve it'...and it's hard to hear anyone take away your Olympic dream...and I think I did a pretty good job of showing these people that I'm here, I'm happy to be here...and...I put out 3 clean performances, I was the only US lady to go clean, so...for anyone who doesn't think I belong here, take a look at that and have a nice day"

ETA: Methinks the whole Wagner/Nagasu mess and all the negativity she dealt with in the lead-up made her uncharacteristically defensive throughout the entire Olympics
    But Ashley didn't skate 3 clean programs. She seems to be in denial about the 2-foots and UR's. Just like she's always saying how strong a woman she is yet the last 2 years at Nationals she caved in under the pressure. It's almost like she's trying to convince herself.

Custom Title
    I think her definition of clean must be that there were no falls, but imo that hardly makes a program clean.

Medalist
    You see this kind of statements really rub off people the wrong way. that she was the only US woman who went "clean" is a joke. Or maybe a program with URs and two footed landings is her standard of clean skate.
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I think her definition of clean must be that there were no falls, but imo that hardly makes a program clean.
    She likely means "I stayed on my feet" whereas Gracie fell in the individual FS. But Ashley was not clean, not by any means. That being said, she skated "well", and did a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    But Ashley didn't skate 3 clean programs. She seems to be in denial about the 2-foots and UR's. Just like she's always saying how strong a woman she is yet the last 2 years at Nationals she caved in under the pressure. It's almost like she's trying to convince herself.
    She's not strong because she made mistakes at nationals? Um no. A person's strength isn't docked because they have struggles or a bad competition.

I feel that people are putting a lot of words/thoughts in Ashley's mouth that aren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    She likely means "I stayed on my feet" whereas Gracie fell in the individual FS. But Ashley was not clean, not by any means. That being said, she skated "well", and did a good job.
    Yep, that's how I see it. Polina also fell in hte FS. So as far as falls....that is an accurate statement.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 07-08-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Custom Title
    I'm pretty sure that's how she sees it too... falls/major errors = not clean... minor errors or URs = clean. "Visibly" clean if you will. Obviously, it's not accurate as far as typical definitions of the word "clean", but she didn't skate horribly either.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    That would be quite the quote..."I deserved to go to Sochi....I was the only American who didnt "skate horribly""...of course it would need quotes within the quote

Or just a good snarcasm quote....

http://nasu-cibo.tumblr.com/post/82000517728

In all seriousness people are more harsh on Ashley than she ever was in her quotes or interviews. Back off people. Let the girls speak their minds. It's much more interesting when true emotions come out.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    I just spoke with an old friend who recently moved near Ashley's home (coincidence, not a stalker ), and apparently in the shops and restaurants around the 'hood, she's extremely outgoing and well liked. Very nice to hear.
    I met Ashley in Sochi also and she was very nice even though I was interrupted a conversation she was having with someone else (in German) to get her autograph.

Gracie was nice as well when I talked with her and asked for a picture in the olympic village (even though she was in pajamas lol).

All the team USA figure skaters that I met were nice and gracious and happy to take pictures/sign autographs. The only ones who didn't want to sign autographs were V/T and Adelina (after her win; before that she didn't care, though she looked at me funny when I asked for an autograph in English-- I guess she was expecting Russian).

The person actually surprised me most was Plushenko... Despite being how he conducts himself during some interviews and how he comes off, he was really nice and signed lots and lots of autographs and took pictures with anyone who wanted them (especially since he's a megastar in Russia and that's pretty much all the Russians cared about).

Custom Title
    Well, Ashley's mind is a bit 6.0, maybe. Under that type of thinking, her performances were fairly clean while Gracie's and Polina's weren't. I don't have much problem with her saying this, considering I think falls aren't punished severely enough these days.

No need for some comments here ragging on Gracie either though. While I'm not personally a fan of her skating, I wouldn't pretend to pass judgement on her character.

I've never heard of Plushy being anything but sweet to his fans. Not much of a diva sport, figure skating, when he's the best we've got.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast