Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Hersh: In figure skating, same old, same old

Custom Title

Thumbs down Hersh: In figure skating, same old, same old

In figure skating, same old, same old
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...7144622.column

Custom Title
    Wow. Now that's not what I'd call constructive criticism. Harping on "teh hug!" and ignoring the fact that Russia (and other figure skating powerhouses) voted to abolish anonymous judging doesn't add to the article's credibility. I guess he's giving a badly written article for a sport that deserves no better?

The word kowtow apparently translates well to Korean.
    That's pretty offensive to Korea... and perhaps Asia in general.

Banned
    The two leading skating 'journalists' in this country are just lunatics with a seething hate of Russia.

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    I can't read it. It says that you have to be a digital member. I did try to enter through twitter but it still request a zip code which I don't have.

I did manage through FB somehow. I'm sorry that I did bother at all for such a poor article, a snoozefest really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    That's pretty offensive to Korea... and perhaps Asia in general.
    What does that word mean?

The ISU decision on Shekhovtseva said: “The Alleged Offender did not deliberately or negligently breach the rules; she responded reflexively when the skater raised her arms for an embrace.”
    only in figure skating... what a joke..

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I did manage through FB somehow. I'm sorry that I did bother at all for such a poor article, a snoozefest really.

What does that word mean?
    Kowtow means bending over backwards for somebody or give into somebody's every whim even at other's expense. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Coltrocks12 View Post
    Kowtow means bending over backwards for somebody or give into somebody's every whim even at other's expense. Hope that helps.
    Oh yes. Thank you.

Custom Title
    In figure skating, same old, same old
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/o...5098902.column

Custom Title
    I tend to agree with him. The use of kowtow is an unfortunate choice, bringing with it a slew of colonial associations, but on the whole his criticisms are not unfair. Cinquatta has abused his privilege and power; anonymous judging is indefensible; judges with conflict of interest should not be on panels deciding the most prestigious prizes in the sport; there's no reason why all program lengths should not be the same.

It is beyond tiresome that every time someone points these problems out, he/she/they are accused of Russia bashing by someone on here. Beyond tiresome.

Custom Title
    Even when Hersh is right, it's hard to agree with him because of his, I'm superior, know-it-all style of writing. While there is little to justify anonymous judging and few would argue that Cinquanta's reign is better than "checkered," arguments can be made for and against skate order based on the short program results and making programs all the same length. But according to the all-knowing, self-proclaimed figure skating expert Hersh, these things are killing the sport of figure skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    I tend to agree with him. The use of kowtow is an unfortunate choice, bringing with it a slew of colonial associations, but on the whole his criticisms are not unfair. Cinquatta has abused his privilege and power; anonymous judging is indefensible; judges with conflict of interest should not be on panels deciding the most prestigious prizes in the sport; there's no reason why all program lengths should not be the same.

It is beyond tiresome that every time someone points these problems out, he/she/they are accused of Russia bashing by someone on here. Beyond tiresome.
    This. As well as the fact that Hersch's writing about skating is no different than any sports columnist's writing about anything. I hope the people who find him so offensive are not college football fans. If they read those columnists, they might rip their pearl strands from all the clutching and I doubt there are enough hankies to console them.

I cant stand his work

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    This. As well as the fact that Hersch's writing about skating is no different than any sports columnist's writing about anything. I hope the people who find him so offensive are not college football fans. If they read those columnists, they might rip their pearl strands from all the clutching and I doubt there are enough hankies to console them.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast