Hersh: In figure skating, same old, same old | Golden Skate

Hersh: In figure skating, same old, same old

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Wow. Now that's not what I'd call constructive criticism. Harping on "teh hug!" and ignoring the fact that Russia (and other figure skating powerhouses) voted to abolish anonymous judging doesn't add to the article's credibility. I guess he's giving a badly written article for a sport that deserves no better?

The word kowtow apparently translates well to Korean.
That's pretty offensive to Korea... and perhaps Asia in general.

YLFan

Match Penalty
The two leading skating 'journalists' in this country are just lunatics with a seething hate of Russia.

Alba

Record Breaker
I can't read it. It says that you have to be a digital member. I did try to enter through twitter but it still request a zip code which I don't have.

Alba

Record Breaker
I did manage through FB somehow. I'm sorry that I did bother at all for such a poor article, a snoozefest really.

That's pretty offensive to Korea... and perhaps Asia in general.

What does that word mean?

cooper

Medalist
The ISU decision on Shekhovtseva said: “The Alleged Offender did not deliberately or negligently breach the rules; she responded reflexively when the skater raised her arms for an embrace.”

only in figure skating... what a joke..

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I did manage through FB somehow. I'm sorry that I did bother at all for such a poor article, a snoozefest really.

Kowtow means bending over backwards for somebody or give into somebody's every whim even at other's expense. Hope that helps. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I tend to agree with him. The use of kowtow is an unfortunate choice, bringing with it a slew of colonial associations, but on the whole his criticisms are not unfair. Cinquatta has abused his privilege and power; anonymous judging is indefensible; judges with conflict of interest should not be on panels deciding the most prestigious prizes in the sport; there's no reason why all program lengths should not be the same.

It is beyond tiresome that every time someone points these problems out, he/she/they are accused of Russia bashing by someone on here. Beyond tiresome.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even when Hersh is right, it's hard to agree with him because of his, I'm superior, know-it-all style of writing. While there is little to justify anonymous judging and few would argue that Cinquanta's reign is better than "checkered," arguments can be made for and against skate order based on the short program results and making programs all the same length. But according to the all-knowing, self-proclaimed figure skating expert Hersh, these things are killing the sport of figure skating.

louisa05

Final Flight
I tend to agree with him. The use of kowtow is an unfortunate choice, bringing with it a slew of colonial associations, but on the whole his criticisms are not unfair. Cinquatta has abused his privilege and power; anonymous judging is indefensible; judges with conflict of interest should not be on panels deciding the most prestigious prizes in the sport; there's no reason why all program lengths should not be the same.

It is beyond tiresome that every time someone points these problems out, he/she/they are accused of Russia bashing by someone on here. Beyond tiresome.

This. As well as the fact that Hersch's writing about skating is no different than any sports columnist's writing about anything. I hope the people who find him so offensive are not college football fans. If they read those columnists, they might rip their pearl strands from all the clutching and I doubt there are enough hankies to console them.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
This. As well as the fact that Hersch's writing about skating is no different than any sports columnist's writing about anything. I hope the people who find him so offensive are not college football fans. If they read those columnists, they might rip their pearl strands from all the clutching and I doubt there are enough hankies to console them.

:rofl:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
'Kowtow' comes from the Chinese and literally means kneeling on the ground with your head pressed to the floor. It is a sign of great respect in ancient Asian cultures, usually performed by the commoner to the lord, the court official to the emperor, or sometimes when pleading or thanking someone for something momentous. Hersh probably means it as "great subservience," but considering he's referring to Korea, I think the historical/cultural connotations are... quite unfortunate, at best.

Frankly, this article is the "same old, same old" he's accusing figure skating of being. It's shoddily written, doesn't offer anything new (and thus, he doesn't even bother to argue anything since it's so "self-evident"), and seemingly written in complete rage without any kind of use of... I dunno, his brain, maybe? Just because he has a few correct points doesn't mean this type of journalism should be encouraged (other sports having shoddy journalism isn't an excuse--that's like saying "every country cheats so why not us? :biggrin:).

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Trying to get rid of anonymous judging is bogus anyways. Until the scandal in 2002 everyone knew who the judges were and it still didn't keep them from cheating and being corrupt. This sport has been corrupt since the Sonja Henie days and probably before even then.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice

Pearl-clutching skating fans need to keep in mind that skating is a sport and skaters are athletes, not children in need of protecting. We don't pearl-clutch over Lebron James or Richard Sherman, they can take care of themselves. And so can most skaters.

Alba

Record Breaker
'Kowtow' comes from the Chinese and literally means kneeling on the ground with your head pressed to the floor. It is a sign of great respect in ancient Asian cultures, usually performed by the commoner to the lord, the court official to the emperor, or sometimes when pleading or thanking someone for something momentous. Hersh probably means it as "great subservience," but considering he's referring to Korea, I think the historical/cultural connotations are... quite unfortunate, at best.

Yeah I got the meaning. :thumbsup:

Frankly, this article is the "same old, same old" he's accusing figure skating of being. It's shoddily written, doesn't offer anything new (and thus, he doesn't even bother to argue anything since it's so "self-evident"), and seemingly written in complete rage without any kind of use of... I dunno, his brain, maybe? Just because he has a few correct points doesn't mean this type of journalism should be encouraged (other sports having shoddy journalism isn't an excuse--that's like saying "every country cheats so why not us? :biggrin:).

This. :thumbsup:

I fully agree, and it's not that I find his article offensive towards anyone (maybe towards Korea as you said) but it's poor, as I said a snoozefest.
Oh well, I suppose he has to write about something even when he has nothing new to say.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Other sports columnists generate plenty of ire. Maybe not the pearl clutching kind, but I'm sure their email inboxes are filled with expletives. And Hersh is different because he is so self-congratulatory. There is too much Hersh in his writing and not enough knowledge.