Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Did G&G Ever Do a Quad Twist?

Custom Title
    Originally posted by icenut84
    If Petr Barna's quad was 2-footed, then it was not clean, and he would not be ratified as the first to land a clean quad in the Olympics. I don't know about the Chinese skater, as I don't have coverage of more than the top skaters, but I thought Kulik was the first to land a quad in the Olympics.
    I watched the 1998 mens LP tape. Guo Zhengxin of China skated before Kulik. Guo landed a quad-double combination, and later a quad in his LP. I don't know if he was the first one to land a quad (and a quad combo) in the Olympics, but he definitely landed both before Kulik's quad.

Vash

Custom Title
    Originally posted by icenut84
    If Petr Barna's quad was 2-footed, then it was not clean, and he would not be ratified as the first to land a clean quad in the Olympics. I don't know about the Chinese skater, as I don't have coverage of more than the top skaters, but I thought Kulik was the first to land a quad in the Olympics.
    No. Kulik was the first to *win* the Olympics with a clean quad in the program.

I think Browning and Stojko have always been given credit as first to land a quad on one foot and first to land quad combinations (double and later triple) in any competition.

As for Olympic quads, credit for the first clean one probably goes to a skater who wasn't really a factor in the event.

Alexandre Fadeev attempted a quad at 1984 Olympics, but fell, so certainly no credit for landing it.

Ditto for Browning in 1988.

In 1992, there were cleaner quad attempts by Barna (free foot down), Urmanov (hand down), Konstantin Kostin (haven't seen it so I don't know how clean), and also in the lady's event by Surya Bonaly (two-foot).

1994, Min Zhang, in 17th place, landed a clean one.

1998, Zhengzhin Guo, 7th, did indeed land two, although the second may have been cheated. But that was just a few minutes before Kulik's, so how could anyone commenting on Kulik have missed it?

By 2002, of course, there were quads all over the place, both successful and unsuccessful.

I've seen Jumping Joe's quad on tv and it was DEFINITELY two footed.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    Originally posted by gkelly
    In 1992, there were cleaner quad attempts by Barna (free foot down), Urmanov (hand down), Konstantin Kostin (haven't seen it so I don't know how clean), and also in the lady's event by Surya Bonaly (two-foot).

<snip>

1998, Zhengzhin Guo, 7th, did indeed land two, although the second may have been cheated. But that was just a few minutes before Kulik's, so how could anyone commenting on Kulik have missed it?
    Actually, IIRC Surya's quad in 1992 was underrotated but on one foot, not two-footed.

As for Guo - I didn't see it because the only LPs from the 98 Olympics that I have on tape are Kulik, Stojko and Candeloro, I think. I didn't even see Guo. I stand corrected on Kulik being the first though - that was just what I'd read somewhere.

Custom Title
    Sorry to get back to thread topic, but does anyone know which event the Zhangs did their quad twist? And does anyone else recall Cherkasova Shakhrai doing it in 1977? OK off to e-mail the author of the book I read it in

Rinkside
    IIRC, in the 2000 Junior Worlds (Oberstdorf).

I thought the Zhang's did a quad twist at Worlds last year....I'm sure I've seen them do it, and I'd only have seen them at Worlds!

but it is entirely possible that Ia m deluding myself....will check...

k

edit: I looked it up! They completed one at 2002 worlds, a little crashy on the landing, but it counted for the record books.)
    Last edited by Kateri; 04-12-2004 at 04:15 PM.

Custom Title
    Thanks I'll have to check my tape - still doesn't solve why it wasn't credited 3 decades earlier though. But the author is onto it!!

Rinkside

Quad twist

Quad twist done by:
    C&S in 1977
    G&G in 1987 (at least 3 times in international competition)

Z&Z may be the first quad in the Juniors leque although both Russian couples were not yet 20 when they did the first quads. So can we give credit where credits are due?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2