55th ISU Congress: changes accepted for singles/pairs and for ice dance | Golden Skate

55th ISU Congress: changes accepted for singles/pairs and for ice dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker
55th ISU Congress: Changes accepted for Singles/Pairs and for Ice Dance

55th ISU Congress: Changes accepted for Singles/Pairs and for Ice Dance

Official ISU Communications posted on Jun 24:

~ Communication No. 1874
Single & Pair Skating
Сhanges in Special Regulations and Technical Rules accepted by the 55th ISU Congress
I. General Regulations
II. Special Regulations
III. Technical Rules
IV. Clarification to the ISU Communication No. 1861

~ Communication No. 1875
Ice Dance
I. Various Changes in the General Regulations, Special Regulations and Technical Rules Accepted by the 55th ISU Congress
II. Corrections to ISU Communications 1857 and 1860 (Requirements to Technical Rules Season 2014/15 and with Ongoing Validity Effective July 1st, 2014)
III. Part of the Requirements for Technical Rules for Short Dance Season 2015/16

I thought these documents were worthy of a new thread although some of the changes have been reported/discussed in other threads.

BTW, for season 2015/16, the SD Pattern Dances:
-- Ravensburger Waltz for Seniors
-- Starlight Waltz for Juniors​

VirMo

On the Ice
Interesting, no more than two of the same double jumps, an expansion of maximum two double axels.

Duplicate solo triple jumps, originally the second one counted as sequence, will now just receive 70%. This is more clear-cut now.

My favorite change is that choreographic sequence can now be performed before OR after the step sequence! This is going to give so much more flexibility in choreography and allow more creativity. :D

Wordings have been cleaned up for combination lifts for ice dance - serpentine lift is now just thought of as combination of two curve lifts.

One change I still don't understand why it's not happening is GOE for combination jumps - for dance lifts the GOEs are doubled, don't understand why it wouldn't apply for jumps

FSGMT

Record Breaker
The rule about double jumps is interesting... Popped solo toeloops and loops will be dangerous :think:

BusyMom

Medalist
For many skaters, it was hard enough to gain minimum TES. With new rules, it looks much more harder. Are they going to lower the minimum TES also?

Brenda

On the Ice
Rule 612 (former Rule 512), paragraph 2
Repetition of triple/quadruple jumps (Free Skating Singles):
Of all the triple and quadruple jumps only two (2) can be executed twice. If at least one of these executions is in a jump combination or a jump sequence, both executions are evaluated in a regular way. If both executions are as solo jumps, the second of these solo jumps will receive 70% of its original Base Value.

So does that mean that the second solo jump would just receive less points but would not block a combination/sequence box anymore? Always thought that was a bit harsh in the past.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The wording on grading GOE for combination lifts in dance is confusing to me.

Rule 353, paragraph 1.i) – Combination Lift scores In Ice Dance, Combination Lifts are evaluated as one unit by adding the Base Values of the two first executed Types of Short Lifts and then applying the GOE. The GOE of the Combination Lift is equal to the sum of the numerical values of the highest value (Level) of the corresponding GOE of these two first executed Types of Short Lifts multiplied by a factor of two

There are two lifts in a combination lift. Each is assigned a level separately by the tech panel. The total lift gets one GOE. Does this mean the judges will give a GOE to each of the two lifts in the combination, and that the software will take the GOE of the higher level lift and double it to calculate the score for the Combination?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So does that mean that the second solo jump would just receive less points but would not block a combination/sequence box anymore? Always thought that was a bit harsh in the past.
No, the rule you quoted already existed: the "blocked combos" are called when there is a third repetition, and this will remain; I think that only the jump attempted for the third time should be invalid, not the whole combo, too (exactly as they did with Slutskaya's loop combo in 2005)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Glad to see they've lifted the restriction on the ChSq...never quite understood that.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Some of these changes are quite good but boy how they are communicating the changes is poor- having to continuously refer and piece together info from different communications to get all the necesary info!

Another interesting change is e PCS for ice dance. All ice dance components have a 0.8 factoring in the short and 1.2 for the free dance.

Doubles in the choreo step is interesting.

caelum

On the Ice
Good they changed around the ChSq rule. Maybe it will lead to some interesting outlines.

I find the double restriction kind of pointless. I wonder if someone saw the same women competitor at Zagreb I did who performed six 2Lo's (including two 2Lo + 2Lo combinations) and just wanted to punish them …

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
We are going to see a lot more ridiculous zayak penalties now with the double jump restriction. Entire 3-jump combos will be worth 0 points just because a skater doubled a Triple jump earlier in their program.