Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rank the winning Ladies performances at Worlds and Olympics for the last four years

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    In terms of aesthetic appearance, technical prowess, speed, presentation and disregarding the score cards, here's how they rank best to worst:

1. Kim 2013
    2. Asada 2014
    3. Kostner 2012
    4. Sotnikova 2014
    5. Ando 2011
    I agree totally!!!

The best competition overall (SP+FS) was of course Yu-Na's in 2013, because she performed everything perfectly (just as in Vancouver), not making a single mistake and, even if those two programs weren't her best, she deserves first place for sure; her Sochi programs are behind for me (probably around 4th-5th place), since she evidently made a small mistake in the FS (not a good landing in the second 3Lz, which was slightly UR) and more than that her programs didn't seem to have the same energy and impact of some of her past performances.
    Mao's 2014 competition was really good, too, since she came back after that disastrous Olympic event and skated her best SP ever and a very good FS, but for me Carolina's programs in 2012 are even better, emotionally. Of course she's far far behind Asada in terms of jumps (Carolina had a mistake in the SP and didn't ahve the lutz in the FS), but artistically I think her Mozart FS was the best of the quad, it was the only one that had that sheer quality of holding the crowd in her hands, not wasting a single beat of the music, and really "living" the performance, from the tension in her eyes at the beginning until the pure joy during the step sequence at the end, perfectly following the musical structure of the piece. Janet Lynn, Michelle Kwan or Chen Lu's Rachmaninoff come to my mind as examples of what I mean... Maybe it's because I'm Italian and I'm a big Carolina fan, but I really think that program and that performance were special, more than a lot of things she did before and after it (Bolero was sublime, but it didn't have the same qualities): the perfect one to win a WC.
    And then there are Adelina and Miki: the first one really skated wonderfully, but isn't in the same league as Yu-Na, Mao and Carolina artistically, when for Miki her programs were made for the jumps, all she wanted was landing them and skating clean, even if her SP was a huge exception, maybe her only "emotional" program ever.
    So, objectively, my ranking is identical to anyanka's, but emotionally I have
    1) Yu-Na
    2) Caro
    3) Mao
    4) Miki
    5) Adelina

I think I'd go with..

Kim 2013
    Ando 2011
    Asada 2014
    Sotnikova 2014
    Kostner 2012

Really, none of them were overwhelmingly great. Kim's and Ando's were clean but didn't have much sparkle, Mao's was very unclean, Sotnikova's was controversial in result and not completely clean, as well as not being artistically wonderful. Kostner was clean, IIRC, but the technical content she included wasn't high, especially for a World Champion.

Custom Title
    What would the rankings be if we swapped Asada's Worlds LP for her Olympics LP?

Custom Title
    ^In that case, I'd put Mao at #1, no question. Her Worlds SP + Olympics LP should be, imo, unbeatable by anyone in the field right now. Technically unmatched, and huge emotional resonance in both programs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    I would have Mao first then lol, Les Mis is my favourite LP this past quad but Chopin is one of my top SPs, pair it up with what is in like my top 5 LPs then that would put her first. Kiss of the Vampire was good because of Yuna but I hated the music and I can easily name another handful of SPs I've liked better this past quad.

I would go with:

1. Asada 2014
    2. Kim 2013
    3. Sotnikova 2014
    4. Ando 2011
    5. Kostner 2012

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    In that case, Kim 2013 W FS vs. Asada 2014 OG FS would have been the single greatest match-up in ladies free skate history. Both are powerful, graceful, athletic, intensely moving and so out-of-the-park knock-em-rock-em blow-the-roof-off fantastic that one needs to cry in a heap on the floor immediately afterward in cathartic release.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchii View Post
    I would have Mao first then lol, Les Mis is my favourite LP this past quad but Chopin is one of my top SPs, pair it up with what is in like my top 5 LPs then that would put her first. Kiss of the Vampire was good because of Yuna but I hated the music and I can easily name another handful of SPs I've liked better this past quad.
    It was certainly the most unorthodox choice, especially for a character piece. I kept wondering if she was playing the Willem Dafoe role (Nosferatu) in that old John Malkovich movie "Shadow of the Vampire". Love the outfit though, one of the few times decorative glittery blood on a figure skating costume did not cause alarm for fear of injury.

On the Ice
    1) Kim 2014 O
    2) Kim 2013 W
    3) Kostner 2014 O
    4) Asada 2014 W
    5) Lipniskaya 2014 O (team) & Sotnikova 2014 O

To me, clean performances at the Olympics are always more memorable and impressive.

1. Mao Asada Oly 2014 LP
    2. Yulia L. Oly 2014 LP team
    3. Adelina S. Oly 2014 LP

Banned
    The so called (in some cases) winning performances, factoring in both short and long programs combined:

1. Yu Na Kim 2013 worlds
    2. Mao Asada 2014 worlds

-----huge gap------

3. Carolina Kostner 2012 worlds
    4. Miki Ando 2011 worlds
    5. Adelina Sotnikova 2014 Olympics

All World and Olympic competitive performances considered (again both programs factored together)

1. Kim 2013 worlds
    2. Kim 2014 Olympics
    3. Asada 2014 worlds
    4. Kostner 2014 Olympics
    5. Lipnitsaya team event 2014 Olympics
    6. Kim 2011 worlds
    7. Kostner 2013 worlds (falls but such wonderful skating in everyway otherwise)
    8. Kostner 2012 worlds
    9. Asada 2013 worlds
    10. Ando 2011 worlds

Mao's Olympic LP was IMO the best performance at a worlds or olympics of the quad (along with Mao's short program at the 2014 worlds) but due to her short program doesnt quite even make the top 10 list.

Custom Title
    ^Lulz at you not having Sotnikova anywhere in your list.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    9. Asada 2013 worlds
    10. Ando 2011 worlds

Mao's Olympic LP was IMO the best performance at a worlds or olympics of the quad (along with Mao's short program at the 2014 worlds) but due to her short program doesnt quite even make the top 10 list.
    You sure about that? Asada scored 61 points in her W2013 SP, popping the 3Lo, URing the flip, and two-footing the 3A. Her LP was also not the best where she had crappy landings on 3A and 3F (no 3-3). She had a lower total score and also worse programs IMO. I would take O2014 over that any day. Yes, even with that disaster SP. In which case Ando gets bumped off the list (whose 2011 inclusion is almost insulting to Sotnikova, lol).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    You sure about that? Asada scored 61 points in her W2013 SP, popping the 3Lo, URing the flip, and two-footing the 3A. Her LP was also not the best where she had crappy landings on 3A and 3F (no 3-3). She had a lower total score and also worse programs IMO. I would take O2014 over that any day. Yes, even with that disaster SP. In which case Ando gets bumped off the list (whose 2011 inclusion is almost insulting to Sotnikova, lol).
    Good point. I probably should have had Asada 2014 Olympics 9th, Asada 2013 worlds 10th, bumping Ando (who like Sotnikova in Sochi undeservedly won those worlds) out of the top 10. I was just thinking I wasnt sure if Asada even deserved to beat Sotnikova for the bronze overall in Sochi (despite her LP deserving to be atleast 15 points higher than Sotnikova's) and Sotnikova sure as hell doesnt make the top 10 world/Olympic competitions this quad, which is the only reason I wasnt sure whether to include Asada from Sochi.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast