Rank the winning Ladies performances at Worlds and Olympics for the last four years | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rank the winning Ladies performances at Worlds and Olympics for the last four years

Krunchii

Record Breaker
What would the rankings be if we swapped Asada's Worlds LP for her Olympics LP?

I would have Mao first then lol, Les Mis is my favourite LP this past quad but Chopin is one of my top SPs, pair it up with what is in like my top 5 LPs then that would put her first. Kiss of the Vampire was good because of Yuna but I hated the music and I can easily name another handful of SPs I've liked better this past quad.

mary01

Final Flight
I would go with:

1. Asada 2014
2. Kim 2013
3. Sotnikova 2014
4. Ando 2011
5. Kostner 2012

anyanka

Record Breaker
What would the rankings be if we swapped Asada's Worlds LP for her Olympics LP?

In that case, Kim 2013 W FS vs. Asada 2014 OG FS would have been the single greatest match-up in ladies free skate history. Both are powerful, graceful, athletic, intensely moving and so out-of-the-park knock-em-rock-em blow-the-roof-off fantastic that one needs to cry in a heap on the floor immediately afterward in cathartic release.

:bow:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I would have Mao first then lol, Les Mis is my favourite LP this past quad but Chopin is one of my top SPs, pair it up with what is in like my top 5 LPs then that would put her first. Kiss of the Vampire was good because of Yuna but I hated the music and I can easily name another handful of SPs I've liked better this past quad.

It was certainly the most unorthodox choice, especially for a character piece. I kept wondering if she was playing the Willem Dafoe role (Nosferatu) in that old John Malkovich movie "Shadow of the Vampire". Love the outfit though, one of the few times decorative glittery blood on a figure skating costume did not cause alarm for fear of injury.

Symmetry

Rinkside
1) Kim 2014 O
2) Kim 2013 W
3) Kostner 2014 O
4) Asada 2014 W
5) Lipniskaya 2014 O (team) & Sotnikova 2014 O

To me, clean performances at the Olympics are always more memorable and impressive.

Barb

Record Breaker
1. Mao Asada Oly 2014 LP
2. Yulia L. Oly 2014 LP team
3. Adelina S. Oly 2014 LP

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The so called (in some cases) winning performances, factoring in both short and long programs combined:

1. Yu Na Kim 2013 worlds
2. Mao Asada 2014 worlds

-----huge gap------

3. Carolina Kostner 2012 worlds
4. Miki Ando 2011 worlds
5. Adelina Sotnikova 2014 Olympics

All World and Olympic competitive performances considered (again both programs factored together)

1. Kim 2013 worlds
2. Kim 2014 Olympics
3. Asada 2014 worlds
4. Kostner 2014 Olympics
5. Lipnitsaya team event 2014 Olympics
6. Kim 2011 worlds
7. Kostner 2013 worlds (falls but such wonderful skating in everyway otherwise)
8. Kostner 2012 worlds
9. Asada 2013 worlds
10. Ando 2011 worlds

Mao's Olympic LP was IMO the best performance at a worlds or olympics of the quad (along with Mao's short program at the 2014 worlds) but due to her short program doesnt quite even make the top 10 list.

CarneAsada

Medalist
9. Asada 2013 worlds
10. Ando 2011 worlds

Mao's Olympic LP was IMO the best performance at a worlds or olympics of the quad (along with Mao's short program at the 2014 worlds) but due to her short program doesnt quite even make the top 10 list.
You sure about that? Asada scored 61 points in her W2013 SP, popping the 3Lo, URing the flip, and two-footing the 3A. Her LP was also not the best where she had crappy landings on 3A and 3F (no 3-3). She had a lower total score and also worse programs IMO. I would take O2014 over that any day. Yes, even with that disaster SP. In which case Ando gets bumped off the list (whose 2011 inclusion is almost insulting to Sotnikova, lol).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
You sure about that? Asada scored 61 points in her W2013 SP, popping the 3Lo, URing the flip, and two-footing the 3A. Her LP was also not the best where she had crappy landings on 3A and 3F (no 3-3). She had a lower total score and also worse programs IMO. I would take O2014 over that any day. Yes, even with that disaster SP. In which case Ando gets bumped off the list (whose 2011 inclusion is almost insulting to Sotnikova, lol).

Good point. I probably should have had Asada 2014 Olympics 9th, Asada 2013 worlds 10th, bumping Ando (who like Sotnikova in Sochi undeservedly won those worlds) out of the top 10. I was just thinking I wasnt sure if Asada even deserved to beat Sotnikova for the bronze overall in Sochi (despite her LP deserving to be atleast 15 points higher than Sotnikova's) and Sotnikova sure as hell doesnt make the top 10 world/Olympic competitions this quad, which is the only reason I wasnt sure whether to include Asada from Sochi.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
It was certainly the most unorthodox choice, especially for a character piece. I kept wondering if she was playing the Willem Dafoe role (Nosferatu) in that old John Malkovich movie "Shadow of the Vampire". Love the outfit though, one of the few times decorative glittery blood on a figure skating costume did not cause alarm for fear of injury.

Unfortunately I can't pinpoint what she's playing because I'm a huge wimp and I can't watch anything creepy like vampires, just that she's musical and knew when to move to certain notes, her jumps even go with the music and she'd land right on the note. I do agree it's great dress, the detailing is really good along with the ombre dye. I've always said that Yuna is one of the best dressed figure skaters out there.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Unfortunately I can't pinpoint what she's playing because I'm a huge wimp and I can't watch anything creepy like vampires, just that she's musical and knew when to move to certain notes, her jumps even go with the music and she'd land right on the note. I do agree it's great dress, the detailing is really good along with the ombre dye. I've always said that Yuna is one of the best dressed figure skaters out there.

That Kiss of the Vampire dress is one of the most gorgeous FS dresses ever. The program...not so much. Kim consistently has great FS outfits. I've never seen her in anything that looks pageant-y or garish, as most FS costumes look.

caelum

On the Ice

The music's from the film "Kiss of the Vampire," a mediocre 60s vampire flick. I assumed she was just playing a vampire's victim, but I don't think she interpreted that role well. Also, Max Schreck will always be Nosferatu! Actually, her routine could have been awesome if she had used selections from James Bernard's 1997 score for Nosferatu ...

Anyway,

SP:

1 - Mao Asada (2014)
2 - Kim Yuna (2013)
3 - Adelina Sotnikova (2014)
4 - Miki Ando (2011)
5 - Carolina Kostner (2012)

Honestly, Mao's is the only one I particularly liked. Easily the best here, it was glorious. I want to give extra points for Kim's costume though. Adelina is here in third almost by default since I thought Ando and Kostner were just no good here. Kostner 2012 SP is probably better to Ando in many respects, but for some reason it put me to sleep, plus the loop error.

LP:

1 - Kim Yuna (2013)
2 - Mao Asada (2014)
3 - Adelina Sotnikova (2013)
4 - Carolina Kostner (2012)
5 - Miki Ando (2011)

I viewed Yuna 2013 as the best FS of the last quad. Asada's 2014 was wonderful, but I don't think it was a well-designed program. Sotnikova here was very good, but I don't find it particularly memorable (all I really remember is that hand waving, unfortunately …). Kostner, as a skater, is better than Sotnikova in my book, but, for me, Kostner was just uninspiring here. Her best performances seem to always come when she doesn't win :cry: Ando's FS was nothing special at all, by far the worst here

MiRé

Match Penalty
SP+LP combined:

1. Kim 2013 Worlds
2. Asada 2014 Worlds
3. Sotnikova 2014 Oly
4. Kostner 2012 Worlds
5. Ando 2011 Worlds

SP

1. Asada 2014 Worlds
2. Kim 2013 Worlds
3. Sotnikiva 2014 Oly
4. Kostner 2012 Worlds
5. Ando 2011 Worlds

LP

1. Kim 2013 Worlds
2(3). Sotnikova 2014 Oly
3(2). Asada 2014 Worlds
4. Kostner 2012 Worlds
5. Ando 2011 Worlds

This was is a hard one. If Sotnikova's jumps were called correctly, it's 3rd, but since it didn't it's 2nd.

anyanka

Record Breaker
The music's from the film "Kiss of the Vampire," a mediocre 60s vampire flick. I assumed she was just playing a vampire's victim, but I don't think she interpreted that role well. Also, Max Schreck will always be Nosferatu! Actually, her routine could have been awesome if she had used selections from James Bernard's 1997 score for Nosferatu ...

Thanks for that bit of trivia! And listening to the music it's definitely cheesy.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I must be alone in liking "Kiss of the Vampire," quite a bit... :slink: I'd put it below Mao's SP simply because of the difference in technical ability (the triple axel), not because I dislike the program.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I must be alone in liking "Kiss of the Vampire," quite a bit... :slink: I'd put it below Mao's SP simply because of the difference in technical ability (the triple axel), not because I dislike the program.

Hardly. The vampire program may have be a bit silly in terms of music, but it was well-choreographed and conceived, and she skated it well. The costuming was indeed beautiful. She did lack some of the necessary sinister bite required for such a showy piece though, but hardly a reason to dislike it wholesale.

Mao's program, aesthetically, would have been better overall had she not had the problems with her jumps that day.

amazingMao

Rinkside
Rank the winning Ladies performances at Worlds and Olympics for the last four years
For SP:
1. Mao (Worlds 2014) - its like she was born to skate Chopin's composition. For me, she is a perfect ballerina on the ice
2-a. Yuna (Olympics 2014) - Although I cannot comprehend the story line behind the performance, I will still pick this as number 2 'coz of overall presentation, very eye-pleasing, graceful.
2-b. Adelina (Olympics 2014) - I love her quirkiness and her personality really showed in this performance
3. Miki (Worlds 2011)
4. Carolina (Worlds 2012)

For LP:
1. Mao (Olympics 2014)
- it still has lingering effects to me till now. I cannot ignore this magical performance in my list. I put this on top because she became the music and in 4 minutes, I have seen her life-story. Plus: she is the only one who executed 8 TRIPLE JUMPS + maximum level 4 in all non-jump components, the most difficult layout for all ladies. I think this is the best Olympics Free skate that I have ever seen in my life (ladies events).
2. Yuna (Worlds 2013) - she's perfect here. I like this more than the Adios program. I think 2013 is her peak in the last four years.
3. Adelina (Olympics 2014) - I love her energy and the way she performed, she really wants to win the OGM.
4. Carolina (Worlds 2012) - she perfectly performs Mozart composition.
5. Miki (Worlds 2011)

zamboni step

Final Flight
For SP:

1. Mao Worlds 2014
2. Adelina Sotnikova Olympics 2014
3. Kim Yu-Na Worlds 2013
4. Miki Ando Worlds 2011
5. Carolina Kostner Worlds 2012

The last three didn't impress me at all. Kim and Ando had horribly boring programs but were skated well technically. Kostner's program was excellent but she skated tentatively and popped the loop.

For FS:

1. Mao Asada 2014 Worlds
2. Kim Yu-Na 2013 Worlds
3. Carolina Kostner 2012 Worlds
4. Adelina Sotnikova 2014 Olympics
5. Miki Ando 2011 Worlds

This time the top two were very close, choreographically Kostner wins but she popped the flip and had lesser technical content, also her spins were the weakest by far. Kim and Asada are basically tied but I think Mao's spins and steps just about put her ahead of Kim despite the axel slip up, the UR calls were BS. Considering how weakly this quadrennium started it's been an amazing one, lots of memorable performances.