Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rank the winning Ladies performances at Worlds and Olympics for the last four years

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    It was certainly the most unorthodox choice, especially for a character piece. I kept wondering if she was playing the Willem Dafoe role (Nosferatu) in that old John Malkovich movie "Shadow of the Vampire". Love the outfit though, one of the few times decorative glittery blood on a figure skating costume did not cause alarm for fear of injury.
    Unfortunately I can't pinpoint what she's playing because I'm a huge wimp and I can't watch anything creepy like vampires, just that she's musical and knew when to move to certain notes, her jumps even go with the music and she'd land right on the note. I do agree it's great dress, the detailing is really good along with the ombre dye. I've always said that Yuna is one of the best dressed figure skaters out there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I was just thinking I wasnt sure if Asada even deserved to beat Sotnikova for the bronze overall in Sochi (despite her LP deserving to be atleast 15 points higher than Sotnikova's)
    Uhm... which programs were you watching? One judge (presumably from Japan) gave Mao 7 GOE scores of +2 or +3. Every judge, including Japan, gave Adelina at least 8. (http://www.isuresults.com/results/ow..._FS_Scores.pdf)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchii View Post
    Unfortunately I can't pinpoint what she's playing because I'm a huge wimp and I can't watch anything creepy like vampires, just that she's musical and knew when to move to certain notes, her jumps even go with the music and she'd land right on the note. I do agree it's great dress, the detailing is really good along with the ombre dye. I've always said that Yuna is one of the best dressed figure skaters out there.
    That Kiss of the Vampire dress is one of the most gorgeous FS dresses ever. The program...not so much. Kim consistently has great FS outfits. I've never seen her in anything that looks pageant-y or garish, as most FS costumes look.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    It was certainly the most unorthodox choice, especially for a character piece. I kept wondering if she was playing the Willem Dafoe role (Nosferatu) in that old John Malkovich movie "Shadow of the Vampire". Love the outfit though, one of the few times decorative glittery blood on a figure skating costume did not cause alarm for fear of injury.
    The music's from the film "Kiss of the Vampire," a mediocre 60s vampire flick. I assumed she was just playing a vampire's victim, but I don't think she interpreted that role well. Also, Max Schreck will always be Nosferatu! Actually, her routine could have been awesome if she had used selections from James Bernard's 1997 score for Nosferatu ...

Anyway,

SP:

1 - Mao Asada (2014)
    2 - Kim Yuna (2013)
    3 - Adelina Sotnikova (2014)
    4 - Miki Ando (2011)
    5 - Carolina Kostner (2012)

Honestly, Mao's is the only one I particularly liked. Easily the best here, it was glorious. I want to give extra points for Kim's costume though. Adelina is here in third almost by default since I thought Ando and Kostner were just no good here. Kostner 2012 SP is probably better to Ando in many respects, but for some reason it put me to sleep, plus the loop error.

LP:

1 - Kim Yuna (2013)
    2 - Mao Asada (2014)
    3 - Adelina Sotnikova (2013)
    4 - Carolina Kostner (2012)
    5 - Miki Ando (2011)

I viewed Yuna 2013 as the best FS of the last quad. Asada's 2014 was wonderful, but I don't think it was a well-designed program. Sotnikova here was very good, but I don't find it particularly memorable (all I really remember is that hand waving, unfortunately …). Kostner, as a skater, is better than Sotnikova in my book, but, for me, Kostner was just uninspiring here. Her best performances seem to always come when she doesn't win Ando's FS was nothing special at all, by far the worst here

SP+LP combined:

1. Kim 2013 Worlds
    2. Asada 2014 Worlds
    3. Sotnikova 2014 Oly
    4. Kostner 2012 Worlds
    5. Ando 2011 Worlds

SP

1. Asada 2014 Worlds
    2. Kim 2013 Worlds
    3. Sotnikiva 2014 Oly
    4. Kostner 2012 Worlds
    5. Ando 2011 Worlds

LP

1. Kim 2013 Worlds
    2(3). Sotnikova 2014 Oly
    3(2). Asada 2014 Worlds
    4. Kostner 2012 Worlds
    5. Ando 2011 Worlds

This was is a hard one. If Sotnikova's jumps were called correctly, it's 3rd, but since it didn't it's 2nd.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by caelum View Post
    The music's from the film "Kiss of the Vampire," a mediocre 60s vampire flick. I assumed she was just playing a vampire's victim, but I don't think she interpreted that role well. Also, Max Schreck will always be Nosferatu! Actually, her routine could have been awesome if she had used selections from James Bernard's 1997 score for Nosferatu ...
    Thanks for that bit of trivia! And listening to the music it's definitely cheesy.

Custom Title
    I must be alone in liking "Kiss of the Vampire," quite a bit... I'd put it below Mao's SP simply because of the difference in technical ability (the triple axel), not because I dislike the program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I must be alone in liking "Kiss of the Vampire," quite a bit... I'd put it below Mao's SP simply because of the difference in technical ability (the triple axel), not because I dislike the program.
    Hardly. The vampire program may have be a bit silly in terms of music, but it was well-choreographed and conceived, and she skated it well. The costuming was indeed beautiful. She did lack some of the necessary sinister bite required for such a showy piece though, but hardly a reason to dislike it wholesale.

Mao's program, aesthetically, would have been better overall had she not had the problems with her jumps that day.

Rinkside
    Rank the winning Ladies performances at Worlds and Olympics for the last four years
    For SP:
    1. Mao (Worlds 2014) - its like she was born to skate Chopin's composition. For me, she is a perfect ballerina on the ice
    2-a. Yuna (Olympics 2014) - Although I cannot comprehend the story line behind the performance, I will still pick this as number 2 'coz of overall presentation, very eye-pleasing, graceful.
    2-b. Adelina (Olympics 2014) - I love her quirkiness and her personality really showed in this performance
    3. Miki (Worlds 2011)
    4. Carolina (Worlds 2012)

For LP:
    1. Mao (Olympics 2014)
    - it still has lingering effects to me till now. I cannot ignore this magical performance in my list. I put this on top because she became the music and in 4 minutes, I have seen her life-story. Plus: she is the only one who executed 8 TRIPLE JUMPS + maximum level 4 in all non-jump components, the most difficult layout for all ladies. I think this is the best Olympics Free skate that I have ever seen in my life (ladies events).
    2. Yuna (Worlds 2013) - she's perfect here. I like this more than the Adios program. I think 2013 is her peak in the last four years.
    3. Adelina (Olympics 2014) - I love her energy and the way she performed, she really wants to win the OGM.
    4. Carolina (Worlds 2012) - she perfectly performs Mozart composition.
    5. Miki (Worlds 2011)

Best comeback EVOR! zamboni step's Avatar
    For SP:

1. Mao Worlds 2014
    2. Adelina Sotnikova Olympics 2014
    3. Kim Yu-Na Worlds 2013
    4. Miki Ando Worlds 2011
    5. Carolina Kostner Worlds 2012

The last three didn't impress me at all. Kim and Ando had horribly boring programs but were skated well technically. Kostner's program was excellent but she skated tentatively and popped the loop.

For FS:

1. Mao Asada 2014 Worlds
    2. Kim Yu-Na 2013 Worlds
    3. Carolina Kostner 2012 Worlds
    4. Adelina Sotnikova 2014 Olympics
    5. Miki Ando 2011 Worlds

This time the top two were very close, choreographically Kostner wins but she popped the flip and had lesser technical content, also her spins were the weakest by far. Kim and Asada are basically tied but I think Mao's spins and steps just about put her ahead of Kim despite the axel slip up, the UR calls were BS. Considering how weakly this quadrennium started it's been an amazing one, lots of memorable performances.

Banned
    Breaking it down by programs is a good idea. Here would be my objectively speaking top 10 programs in order:

Short programs

1. Mao Asada 2014 worlds
    2. Yu Na Kim 2014 Olympics
    3. Carolina Kostner 2014 worlds
    4. Carolina Kostner 2014 Olympics
    5. Yu Na Kim 2013 worlds
    6. Yu Na Kim 2011 worlds
    7. Miki Ando 2011 worlds
    8. Carolina Kostner 2013 worlds
    9. Alena Leonova 2012 worlds
    10. Kanako Murakami 2012 worlds

Long programs

1. Mao Asada 2014 Olympics
    2. Yu Na Kim 2013 worlds
    3. Yu Na Kim 2014 Olympics
    5. Yu Na Kim 2011 worlds
    6. Carolina Kostner 2013 worlds
    7. Carolina Kostner 2012 worlds
    8. Mao Asada 2013 worlds
    9. Adelina Sotnikova 2014 Olympics
    10. Akiko Suzuki 2012 worlds

Custom Title
    Tangent, but I thought of making a thread like this for Ice Dance and realized it's just going to be between V/M and D/W...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Breaking it down by programs is a good idea. Here would be my objectively speaking top 10 programs in order:

Short programs

1. Mao Asada 2014 worlds
    2. Yu Na Kim 2014 Olympics
    3. Carolina Kostner 2014 worlds
    5. Yu Na Kim 2013 worlds
    6. Yu Na Kim 2011 worlds
    7. Miki Ando 2011 worlds
    8. Carolina Kostner 2013 worlds
    9. Alena Leonova 2012 worlds
    10. Kanako Murakami 2012 worlds
    Seriously? An SP with a bad fall, the easiest 3-3 attempt (which should have been < at that), and a solo 3L. The SP is the "technical program"... so if we're talking the best SPs of the past 4 years, they'd better be clean performances with good difficulty, and certainly not an SP where 1 out of the 3 jumping passes is a major error like a fall. Especially if you're objectively speaking. Same goes for ranking Kim's 2011 Worlds SP with a stepout and no 3-3 over some of the others.

I'd put Murakami's 2012/2013 Worlds SPs, Leonova's Worlds 2012 SP, Makarova's 2011 Worlds SP, Osmond's 2013 Worlds SP, and Sotnikova's 2014 Olympics SP easily ahead of Kostner's 2013 Worlds SP and arguably ahead of Kim's 2011 Worlds SP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by VirMo View Post
    Tangent, but I thought of making a thread like this for Ice Dance and realized it's just going to be between V/M and D/W...
    Same with men, Just PChan and Yuzuru...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchii View Post
    Same with men, Just PChan and Yuzuru...
    Not at all. Many consider Dai's 2012 Worlds performances and Ten's 2013 Worlds performances superior to Patrick's, hence the controversy. Also, 2014 Worlds was probably the best skated event of the quad, and Patrick wasn't there + Yuzu won only by a hair, and you can make a case for Machida winning. So I think there will be more to discuss there compared to ice dance in terms of all performances over the quad (though perhaps less if we're just talking about the winning performances, many of which were... underwhelming).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast